Attire & Accessories Forum

Opinions Needed...BM in black for spring wedding?

this is a second marriage for both of us and we are trying to keep costs down for everyone involved.  I was thinking that if I put my BM in black they would actually get a dress that they could/would wear again & most already have black shoes.  The only thing I'm worried about is that we are getting married in the springtime.  Our ceremony will be a late afternoon/evening ceremony.  Should I put my BM in color or just leave them in black?
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!

Re: Opinions Needed...BM in black for spring wedding?

• I personally think black is fine.  I was in a wedding in April and we wore black.  I am also having my BMs wear black for my January wedding.  I think black BMs dresses are very classy and allows the women to wear the dresses again!
  • Definitely nothing wrong with that! I'm not doing black for my wedding, but I've attended couple weddings where BM wore black and I thought they all looked beautiful!

It'd just make it a little harder to incorporate black in flowers, but that's pretty much it.
  • I think it is fine, as long as it is a cocktail length dress and not long!   a long black dress would not work in my opinion. 
  • Black dresses would be great, and your flowers would look extra bright and fresh next to them. And no, you don't have to incorporate black into your flowers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • My BMs are wearing black in April.  Totally fine.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I'm getting married in March and my BM's are wearing short, black chiffon dresses. I wanted something they could wear again (and they were only $50 on overstock.com) because this is my 2nd marriage and 3 of the 4 girls were in my first wedding. The black dress in my siggy is what they're wearing. Also, I am incorporating black in my flowers, the center of the anenomes are black, but it is not necessary to do that. (flowers also in siggy).
    ExerciseMilestone
  • I am doing black cocktail dresses for April. I also attended a June wedding where the BMs wore long black gowns and carried red roses - VERY elegant!

The girls will have green sashes, and will carry pink gerbera daisies. I also plan to get green pashminas for them. So you can use the flowers and accessories (sahes, pashminas, jewelry, brooches, hairpieces or hair flowers) to add little pops of color.

You could also invite them to get shoes in your accent color, if they're up for that. Like if you asked them all to get a red shoe of their choice. That would be really sharp.
  • I have black bm dresses and they thank me for it all the time.  They all have their own black shoes to wear, the dresses look awesome on all of them (size 0 to 22), they can wear them again, they're making me wish I had one!  Plus FI got to do whatever he wanted with tuxes...I'm incorporating black by having hot pink flowers with baby pink ribbons covering stems, and black eyelet ribbon tied over that like a corset.  Soooo pretty!  I really could care less what time of year it is, I have a closet full of lavendar, red, gold, etc dresses I never wore again as all the justification I need!  And it's at night, so I don't think length matters much either.
  • I love the look of black BM dresses with colourful flowers, and think it's appropriate for any season. My bms are wearing dark navy in May,
  • My bridesmaids wore black for my wedding in May. They found gorgeous floor length dresses that matched the skirt on mine and accented with gold sashes. I loved the look, it made the flowers pop and they all were able to wear them again which they were thankful for. So, I don't see why not black in the spring. :)
  • Another vote for black.  We had a July wedding and my BMs wore long dark blue dresses and it looked perfect.
  • Thanks soo much ladies!  One less thing for me to stress over now!  love the msg boards on the knot :)
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards