Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon for foodies?

Hey guys I am trying to find the best place for us to go on our honeymoon. We are avid foodies and would love somewhere that the food is to die for. I know that most resorts have standard buffets but if you know anything that stands out please let me know.

We are from San Francisco so that is out, and please no Italy (my family is from there so I have been many times)

Re: Honeymoon for foodies?

• Any other preferences about climate. budget, in the US vs. international, etc?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  •  lower budget would be best i don't really care about where it is
  • how about Mexico..heard that the El dorado's are the gourmet resorts.

• Well, some of my favorite foodie destinations in the US have been New Orleans, Chicago, Portland OR, Denver and outlying areas, and of course NYC.  Savannah is great for a wide spectrum of southern cooking.  We took a 8-day road trip up the coast of Maine that was also amazing eating.  This could easily be combined with Boston or Providence, RI!

Out of the country, I've found France, Turkey, and India to have especially great food.  (You obviously would have to like Indian food for the last one!)  Future foodie desinations on my list include Puerto Rico, Argentina, Spain, and Vancouver.

As far as resorts go, the only resort I've ever been to where I loooooved the food was at the Ritz in Cancun.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • i 2nd New Orleans!
    Mexico.
    my FI and i are big foodies too....we're going to hawaii...but we plan on getting away from the resort to eat where the locals eat.  just another thought!
  • Well, we're going to Napa, but that might be a little TOO close for you?

Santa Fe, NM, has 1) the best restaurant I've ever eaten at and 2) randomly amazing food everywhere you go.

Otherwise, Paris and Spain are some good bets. Or New York.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I guess that's a subjective question - I love Thai food, so Thailand was heaven for me. Japan has such a focus on regional cuisine that it's a great place for food lovers. (Tsukiji Fish Market has the best sushi you will have in your life). Japan has more michelin stars than any other country! Hawaii has a huge emphasis on regional cuisine too (Sam Choy, Roy Yamaguchi, Bev Gannon, Alan Wong, Merriman's, etc).

Closer to home (well, my home anyway), both the Kelowna area and Niagara region have amazing wineries and restaurants.
  • I had some of the best food in my LIFE in Vietnam and Singapore!

In the US - unfortunately (but fortunately that you live there!) my favorite foodie city in the states is San Francisco and the rest of the Bay Area :-)
  • If you don't mind going out of the country, I'd also recommend Japan or if you like Chinese food, Taiwan.  The food in Taiwan is generally better quality than what you'll get in China and there's plenty to do there!
  • Every restaurant we dined at in Aruba was great! New Orleans has great food too.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I fourth (?) New Orleans-- great food plus great ambiance.  It is such a romantic city to be in, a great place for a honeymoon with eating!
    Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • Damn, I was going to say Italy..

New York City has amazing food, but costs a pretty penny.  I went to Kansas City once and was pleasantly surprised by the steak houses and bbq.  Probably any large city will have resturants that you can dine in.   Have a great time!!
    Proud employee of Best Wishes of Boca. We have wedding registries, jewelry, china, and collectibles. http://www.bestwishes.net
  • SueR13SueR13 member
    First Comment
    We're foodies, too, and we've gone on food tours in several cities that we've visited. Sometimes walking tours, sometimes bus tours. So you might want to search out those type of tours (usually 3 or 4 hours in length - not like vacation tours) and see what cities or locations those lead you to.

We're going to Italy (I know you said that was out - but want to share what we're doing) and we're going on a balsamic vinegar tour (with stops to see parmesan cheese and Parma ham) and we're going on a chocolate walking tour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 112 Invited image 80 Joining the fun
    image 30 Missing out image 2 are total flakes
    RSVP Date 07/20/10
  • How about a cruise?  You can eat, eat , eat, eat on a cruise.  You can order two entrees if your want for dinner. Then depending on your destinations you can eat your way through the stops. GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-foodies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:420d0797-6fff-4e81-bd3a-9ceddbf0974ePost:132b3d00-f964-43e5-a20b-89a920e87310">Re: Honeymoon for foodies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're foodies, too, and we've gone on food tours in several cities that we've visited. Sometimes walking tours, sometimes bus tours. So you might want to search out those type of tours (usually 3 or 4 hours in length - not like vacation tours) and see what cities or locations those lead you to. <strong>We're going to Italy (I know you said that was out - but want to share what we're doing) and we're going on a balsamic vinegar tour (with stops to see parmesan cheese and Parma ham) and we're going on a chocolate walking tour.</strong>
    Posted by SueR13[/QUOTE]
    Yay Emilia-Romagna! I lived in Modena for a few years, and went on a tour at an acetaia (where they make the balsamico) and the best part is when you do a tasting. :D Parma is a beautiful city.  Definitely try Tigelle and gnocco fritto served with artisanal meats.   Mmmmmm. Oh! And give lambrusco a shot too.
  • Paris. It has something like 16 Michelin star restaurants.

In the states, we've got a lot of wonderful restaurants in Seattle.
  • Mm... Copenhagen has the #1 rated restaurant in the world if you're looking for something like that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-foodies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:420d0797-6fff-4e81-bd3a-9ceddbf0974ePost:eaf7426e-037c-435b-909b-6edad853f7f6">Re: Honeymoon for foodies?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about a cruise?  You can eat, eat , eat, eat on a cruise.  You can order two entrees if your want for dinner. Then depending on your destinations you can eat your way through the stops. GL!
    Posted by bfernz[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but cruise food is usually very mediocre.

Any city with a good number of Michelin starred restaurants would be worth going to. Just plan your trip around your restaurant visits (and see how early you can book reservations).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • We like visiting restaurants and markets and factory type places we've seen on Food TV.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 112 Invited image 80 Joining the fun
    image 30 Missing out image 2 are total flakes
    RSVP Date 07/20/10
  • DC! Not only is the city full of great food, but it also includes every cuisine imaginable. Plus, you can always take a day or two to visit Virginia wine country, and there are plenty of other things to do in the city.
  • Fiance and I just went to Provence in July.  Food is amazing in Provence and the Riviera.  So, if you can swing the trip, the food is fantastic and both destinations are quite romantic.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • BocaSue... I live in NY and the food does not have to cost a pretty penny.  Once you get out of the touristy places like Times Square and 5th Ave, the food is really reasonable and amazing.  Try Lower East Side/St. Marks Place.  The food is wonderful and you can get dinner for 2 for under $20!  The hole-in-the-wall places (try 14 seat Japanese Ramen house or 7 seat Creperie)  have the best food and the best prices.
  • We are huge foodies too and also think NYC has great food! (slightly biased since we live there)  If you are ok with spending a lot of money for some amazing food another perfect place is Newport, RI.  We had a divine wine and steak dinner at OceanCliff and still dream about it!  If you're the outdoorsy type Red Lodge, MT also has great food and surrounding by breathtaking mountains.  It's a small resort town that has very fresh food and the best mussels we've ever had get flown in twice a week.  Good luck finding the right place for you!
    BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved Chicago! 
  • Go to Maine, actually travel down the east coast of New England to Boston or further south to Providence. New England food is different from the food you will find in California, and there is so much history and beautiful scenery. You could easily havei a great trip for a reasonable price.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards