Interfaith Weddings

European/Wiccan

This is a two pronged question/concern

Question 1: as there is no board for European weddings I am putting it here and first!
Question 2: How do you add Wiccan symbolisms into a wedding with a mix of catholic and protestant attendees

First

I am an American getting married to a Flemish man! I want to make sure that his family feels welcome and there cultural traditions are meet but when I ask my fiancé about there traditions he goes, meh what eves.   Both his parents are wearing more traditional dress (which I am not 100% sure what it entails even after seeing mommy’s dress) and I think it would be sweet to add in a few other traditional  things in to the wedding.  The problem is website on Flemish weddings are rather useless and I can’t find anyone who has had one to talk to that speaks English. So if anyone has any ideas I welcome them!

Second!

On top of that we both like wiccan symbolism but we have some very traditional members of the family so we would kind of like to hide it!  Primary we would like to incorporate it into our vows and we would like to have a hand binding ceremony instead of lighting candles.  (I am excited about not burning myself!)  My mom and our reverend is down with it and thinks it is very touching!

Anyone done this before!? And what did you do!?

So help!

Somedays a drive though Elvis wedding gets more tempting!

Re: European/Wiccan

• edited December 2011
    The trinity would be a good symbol to have, a large portion of christains have no actual clue its a wiccan symbol, here are also some symbols that would be good to use that some of the more "traditional" members of your family probably wont catch onto,

Septagram

The seven pointed star has a few names: septagram, septacle, Elven star or fairy star. The number seven corresponds to the spirit realm, which is why this symbol is associated with elves or fairies. There are no set representations for each of the points, but they are sometimes labeled: earth, air, fire, water, above, below and within. The septagram is also associated with astrology because the classical view of the sky contained seven planets.

Triple Moon

The triple moon is a Goddess symbol that represents the Maiden, Mother and Crone as the waxing, full and waning moon. It is also associated with feminine energy, mystery and psychic abilities. You often see this symbol on crowns or other head-pieces, particularly worn by High Priestesses.

Hexagram

The unicursal hexagram is a variation of the 6-pointed star. The more traditional way of drawing a 6-pointed star is in the double triangles of the Star of David. But Aleister Crowley created his own design, to create a symbol that could be drawn in one continuous line. The number 6 represents unity and balance, specifically balance between man and the Divine

Hecate's Wheel

This maze-like symbol is associated with the triple aspect of the Greek goddess Hecate. She is considered a 'dark' goddess by some and rules over cross-roads and the Underworld. Hecate is also known as the Goddess of the Witches. This isn't a particularly common symbol among Wiccans, but you do see it occasionally.

Triskele

There are many variations on the basic triskele (or triple spiral) symbol. The one illustrated here is very simple to illustrate the basiclook of the symbol. The triskele is a Celtic symbol and symbolizes the power of life and rebirth. It combines the spiral (often used to illustrate the cycle of life) and the number 3 is a sacred number, as seen in the phases of the triple Goddess. This symbol is also referred to as a triskelion.

Thoughs are just a few, and if anyone asks, just say you think its a cute patern!

Good luck and blessed be
    Join the daily ramblings of a house witch before her wedding!! http://paganbride.blogspot.com/
  • amber2123amber2123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wold sudgest having something subtle from all four elements. 
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so glad I decided to cruise the boards and found your topic! I don't know anything about Flemish weddings but I do know that handfasting ceremonies are very beautiful and can be nonreligious if need be. Just remember that they are the guests and you guys are in charge not them, so while you wouldn't want to put them off you need to go with what you both feel is best. Your families love you and can deal with whatever you decide. :)
  • EnamiEnami member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, Wicca is very Brit inspired, so keep that in mind. But since he's Flemish, why not use hex symbols (like you see in Pennsylvania Dutch and some Amish communities)? Its folk symbolism derived from his country of origin, and has been adopted into the ecclectic wiccan community. I would definitely research more in depth where the Wiccan symbols are coming from, mostly because many are from all over Europe.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • EnamiEnami member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards