Catholic Weddings

NWR: Assistance programs at your church?

I was curious about what programs exist at other Catholic churches.

My church has a lot of outreach programs - volunteers to fundraise, help the homeless, provide tutoring in low income areas, support parents of stillborns, etc.

But, it occurred to me that it doesn't have a lot of "in-reach" programs - nothing to help out our own parishioners. We do have a very close-knit community, and a lot of social events and retreats, etc. to help our community bond.

But if I was suffering from depression, or alcoholism, or if my family member was sick, I can't think of who or where in the church I could turn to. Most people would turn to their doctors or seek counseling, but I'm starting to think that there ought to be a faith-based outlet for them to seek as well.

So my question is - does your church have anything like this?
Baby Birthday Ticker
Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

Re: NWR: Assistance programs at your church?

• edited December 2011
    My church specifically does not have something like that, but I know other churches in my community that does. For example, a church in my town (different diocese though than the church I attend....I attend a church in a different town and county) have beravement groups, support groups and have AA meetings.
    One thing that my own parish is looking to implement in the next year is to have a special committee that would help cook for people whose family members are ill or have lost a loved one. So far, they've done some of this, (when my FH's father passed away, several of the people of the parish had prepared meals for his family, and also helped my FMIL clean the house..) and it's gotten a lot of acclaim.

I definitely agree with you that parishes should have more in-reach assistance programs. Especially if you are passionate about something, it's a fantastic idea to help gather a commitee and let your parish know of this need. Especially being a youth minister and employee of the parish, there are a lot of people in need and a spiritual community should be able to help reach out to them. Hopefully this can become a reality soon.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    no, they don't as far as I know.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awestie, these are great ideas. Recently it was discovered that a very involved parishioner at my church has cancer, and people from the community have been coming together to help her with household chores and things too. I think this is a great start, but it would be nice if there was some formal structure for this kind of thing, so that people in the future would actually have a place to turn to if they need it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

we have a couple.  i know tehy list (with permission) persons or families in the bulletin that need assistance.  We had one family listed where the father of 6 was killed in an accident and had no life insurance, and they asked for assistance with regard to losing their home.  There is also a prayer group for families with children overseas serving in teh war.  for some reason i feel its grassroots or on the QT, meaning if someone needs something, they go to the priest and he somehow gets the word out.  when my sister's husband got cancer 2 years ago, she got a lot of help from her church and she had actually never even sought it out.  i agree, there should be more, as i think the willingness to assist is there, and we all know the need sure is.

• edited December 2011
    My parish has AA meetings, NA meetings, bereavement support group, benevolence fund for our church members.  Lately, we've also hosted health fairs and job fairs for parishoners. 
  • edited December 2011
    A lot of getting these Assistance Programs off the ground involve having several very dedicated individuals and professionals to do so...does your parish have a suggestion box? You could put this for a suggestion  for an up and coming ministry. 
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    All three of the Catholic Churches closest to me have support programs.
    AA, Alanon, NA, grief support, gay/lesbian/transsexual cousiling, old age groups, even yoga !

you have my email if you need more info
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards