New York-Hudson Valley
Options

How far is too far to drive?

I found the most beautiful venue, and its so reasonably priced, and I fell in love! But it's a bit far for most people. I'm getting conflicting opinions from people that have gotten married, either more than an hour is too much, or 3 hours is fine and they can make a weekend of it. Would people be angry if they had to stay overnight?
This is the place:
http://beardsleecastle.com/index.html

But most of my family is from the Rockland/Orange County/Conn. area. Is it unreasonable to make them go this far? (2-3 hours) Or does a beautiful unique venue make it worth it? I see prices on their site at 45pp!! If its really that inexpensive I could put some of my older relatives up for the night, right?

Sorry I'm driving myself crazy looking for venues in ny!

Re: How far is too far to drive?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would think that if you have a majority of guests in one location, the venue should be within an hour of those guests.  If you are coming from CA, how convenient is this venue to an airport?  Also, are there a lot of hotels located near the venue.  If a venue is 2-3 hours away, you should assume almost all guests will be spending the night.  Even if it's a cheaper venue, I really don't see how you can choose to pay for some people's hotels but not others.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well much of my family is in the NY/Conn area, but I also have people coming from Ireland, FL, CA so there will be a need for a hotel regardless. And my parents are in NY, so I am not worried about it's vicinity to an airport. (Although it is close to the Albany one)
    I am assuming people will be spending the night, but I am told that people don't assume that the wedding party will pay for the hotel. I didn't know the etiquette on this, so I was just trying to make it work for everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess this really depends. I would stay at a hotel even if the wedding is under an hour away. Hotels up that way should be less expensive as well. And the airport in Albany is SOOO much easier to deal with then Newark/JFK/LGA. I use to live up there and I used it many times (miss it actually because it was so much less of a hassle).

Lots of ppl these days have their weddings at a totally neutral location and make a weekend out of it. Have a small "arrival" get together for everyone or even a brunch the following morning.  
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

also remember though that if you're going to basically be asking people to spend the weekend you might have more people not going to the wedding. most people i know won't drive more than an hour, and if they have to stay they will definitely think twice about attending just due to cost.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards