Just Engaged and Proposals

holiday wedding?

My fiancée and I got engaged on Mother's Day of this year and his family has  this "thing" about significant events being on holidays, his parents were married of saint patricks day, his mothers birthday is april fools etc. I was thinking it would be neat to follow the tradition and get married on some sort of holiday. We want to get married next summer, which leaves two holidays, father's day and the fourth of july. What is your opinion on those two days?

Re: holiday wedding?

• 4th of July is tricky because a lot of people plan vacations for that time period, so some may not attend your wedding because of that.  Ask the gals on the july board who are getting married over 4th of July how they are faring.

That being said, I don't think you HAVE TO get married on a holiday.  It will be your anniversary, which is special as it is.  But if you do feel the need, there's the midsummer mark, which isn't a holiday, but could still be fun!
  • Yeah, you should do midsummer, which is the time leading up to the summer solstice, June 20th.

I think that would be more unique than 4th of July : )

• The weekend of the 4th is a much more expensive time to travel.  Dh's cousin is getting married on 4th of July weekend and we probably won't be able to go because it costs a lot more than if it was another weekend in July.

Also, vendors have been much more expensive for them, again because it's a holiday weekend. 

Besides, you can find something "special" about any day.  Just go to wikipedia and start typing in dates.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • If you get married on the Fourth of July, your anniversary will always be on a holiday, but not so with the Father's Day wedding.  If you choose a holiday, be prepared for less people to come.  I wanted to get married the day before Easter, but no churches would allow that, and it turned out to be the best due to other family situations that came up at the last minute.  Having a smallish wedding was something we wanted anyway.
  • Honestly, I think thats a stupid tradition. I don't like holiday weddings its much more inconvenient for guests. Its a wedding and it will be significant no matter what date it is on. But if you insist on doing a holiday wedding I say try for a more unique one like pps have suggested.

• June 14th is Flag Day =)

I like unique holidays like that because I've never been a fan of big holiday weddings because I usually have other plans for those weekends. It happens, though, and I know some people find them to be really special.
  • Ummm disregard my previous post... June 14th is in the middle of the week next year! Oops!!
  • I had a friend that did a 4th of July wedding, while it can be tricky you might sit down with both families and see if it's do-able.  My friend's wedding was VERY neat and fun for everyone.  They did a BBQ and a more laid-back reception.  It really was a good time.  Can be pretty budget-friendly as well.
  • I am not a big fan of holiday weddings either. Holidays have always been a special, hang out, relax, go camping time for our families. We actually debated Memorial Day weekend, but I am glad we decided against it but for other reasons as well. I know some people have said it is more expensive to travel on a holiday wkend, which is true, but if you don't have a lot of out of town guests or having a real small wedding, it may not be much of a problem. Also, an advantage is that since it is a long weekend, people are more likely to already have time off work without having to ask for time off, so that could help you there as well. I think it really all depends on your family/friend situation, where the wedding will be and how many people you want to have.
  • edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_holiday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:63f688e0-0e0d-4a21-b4b8-d72330ed1e00Post:127c794e-8a7d-482e-92f1-d0d874d488c9">Re: holiday wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also, an advantage is that since it is a long weekend, people are more likely to already have time off work without having to ask for time off, so that could help you there as well. I think it really all depends on your family/friend situation, where the wedding will be and how many people you want to have.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is only an advantage if the day before the wedding is a a day off.  Most holiday weekends give you Monday off, however most weddings are on Saturday, so not only do guests have to pay more to travel, they also have to take a day off work.</div><div>
    </div><div>Even if you only have a few out of town guests, it's not very considerate to not worry about them just because they are a minor part of the guest list.  Also, if most of your guest list is local, then it won't matter to them to move the date up or back a weekend in order to cut down cost for those that do need to travel.

</div>
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • ONe thing to remember is that if the Holiday is during the week some people may not come due to work.  And fathers day is on a Sunday so decorating a church would have to be after the afternoon service.  Also if the church has a evening service that could be a problem.  What if you picked like New Years or other holidays?  You could always do Memorial Day, which in the south feels like summer already!
    And be careful with some holidays because if you get married on like Mothers day the price of flowers actually goes  up around that holiday!!

Future Mrs. Smith
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards