• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
March 2011 Weddings

Paying off vendors

Hi Ladies!  I know in the beginning we set a budget, and I went as budget friendly as possible...or so I thought.  I don't know that I necessarily busted it, but I'm certainly getting nervous about how close the date is and how much we still have to pay.  I made my final payment to my florist and photographer this month and I'm hoping to pay off the DJ, cake and ring in December.  Anyone else feeling the stress?!

Re: Paying off vendors

• Definitely feeling the stress. I had a couple unexpected personal expenses come up, and I definitely don't have as much in my bank account and I would like to have at this point. I am kind of stressting out about it right now, and hoping that something will come up (like a job???)

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) ?????? image

• Ditto what Lizzie said.  I had a few personal emergencies.  There is no wiggle room in my student budget, so FI and I are both stressed.  The wedding will get paid for, but things may end up tight if I don't find a part time job before the wedding.  If I don't, things will be tight and we'll have less money for last minute wedding stuff.

The tuxes, flowers, and reception balance are the big payments that are still left.  Thank goodness the rings are paid for.
  • Yep, I would love a job to help, but right now I am really feeling stressed about the money part.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Yes, girl.  I had a budget all set...but going over it a little here and there and having some other expense come up in the meantime has really hurt us.  Thankfully I just got this part time job...but I'm still worried.  We may end up taking out a loan to help.  :(
  • Totally stressed...  we had some things come up that we didn't expect.  We were really hoping to stay on our original budget amount, and not have any debt from the wedding at all.  At this point, we are looking at a couple thousand over I think, and some stuff might end up on credit cards.  =(

We'll have it paid off within a few months of the wedding, but it's still really stressful for me.  FI isn't worried about it, and keeps telling me it's not an issue for him, but I'm way more of a worrier than he is.  I hate the idea of having no savings at all for a few months after we get married, because I know that there's just no way to know what can/will happen.
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• I guess I'm the odd man out! We're not stressing over the budget. We had a budget set up in the beginning, but we've already gone over that. Which is fine, because our guest list grew(people who couldn't make it at first will make it now, i.e. OOT and out of the country). Also, we wanted to splurge on some other things. The best thing about our venue is that when you book you put a deposit, then the rest are equal monthly payments. So we're not paying 1 big paycheck. The big things left for us are the flowers, cake, pictures(album/prints/cd), and a lot of other small details. We're still doing some upgrades and adding little things here and there. As planning moved along, FI just told me that we'll have the best wedding. And that I'll get what I want(as long as it's not too much of course) So it's kind of his fault for letting me run all over and getting these things done! LOL. Although lately, he's been more strict with the budget. We have a lot of leeway when it comes to money, but we'd rather have that for when we buy our house! :) 
  • I'm definitely stressing.  I lost my job and my car due to me not being able to pay for my car because I lost my job back in June.  Haven't found anything yet either.  Also starting school and won't be able to work at all.
    We still have FI's suit to buy, cake to pay for, balance of the ceremony, marriage license, my hair for Saturday and that day, our room for two nights, and FI's shoes.  I too have had medical bills come up that I really didn't need right now either.
    If he keeps paying his dang daughter's bills I'm going to explode.  She texted the whole family today letting us know that, "Since she don't have the money, her phone will be shut off on Dec. 2; to call her SIL's phone if we need to get in touch with her."  He just gave her friggen money on Sunday when she brought her brother home, so why didn't she pay for her dang phone with that?  UUGGGHHH!!!
    I'm so sick and tired of her asking FI for money every friggen month.  Now it's the phone money and in another week it'll be her friggen car insurance.  Why the HELL she doesn't get a job is beyond me.  Since she started being with this boyfriend of her's she's gotten really lazy and doesn't do a dang thing.  SHe's 20yrs old and should be able to get a dang job and support herself.  SHe's not looking because she doesn't have internet, but yet she lies to her dad and tells him she is.
    OMG!!!  I'm going to go nuts because as of next week, I'll be down to three months.  I can't wait to start school so I'm not around during the day to listen to this crap.
    What I really don't like is that my FI will give her everything she wants, but yet my 16yr old son needs his phone paid, I can't pay it because he needs to learn to do without!!!  AND I SAY BULLSH*** TO THAT !!!!!
    Sorry to make this a vent session, but had to get that off of my chest.
  • Definitely worried...our budgeting did not include our honeymoon. My dad just offered to help with some of the reception expenses (didn't give us a $ amount), but otherwise we are on our own. So whatever my dad gives us, that part of our money will go towards the honeymoon. I just feel like all the "little" expenses are going to add up too (decorations, favors, etc). Plus with Christmas coming...YIKES. Christmas is going to be bleek this year because we have to stick to a strict budget. (That's really hard for me because I LOVE Christmas and giving gifts.) But I know it's only 1 Christmas out of the rest of my life...

We still have a ton of payments to make too. I almost just want to pay off the stuff we can now so as it gets closer to the wedding I don't have to worry about making payments.
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • Oh no @ denisentim0311!

We didn't really budget for our honeymoon either.  We're more than a few thousand over, and the FI hasn't gotten nearly as much overtime as we were expecting - but we're TRYING not to stress.  I got a new job that pays a bit more, but I have to cover the cost of a commute now and I won't have nearly as much vacation time as I had acrued at my old job.  I'm trying to transfer $ to savings to help with at least a week of unpaid time off - but I'm still getting used to a new pay schedule and it's totally messing me up.

Fortunately most of the vendors do payment installments instead of just one giant payment (though we still don't even have an estimate from the florist...). We've put what we can on credit so we can have the cash for only what actually NEEDS to be paid in cash. We're hoping for $$ gifts to help us pay off a chunk of the wedding...  Otherwise we'll be paying it off on the credit cards for a little bit.

We just sat down and put together a spreadsheet.  We have a plan on how to cover everything and are pretty sure it'll work out.  I hope *crosses fingers*
    March Signature Challenge Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did a spread sheet, too.  That's very helpful.  But, don't plan on it being a pleasant experience.  There was for sure some tension in the air that night.  Not that it's either of our fault but when we start stressing about money our relationship weakens and that makes me more stressed!  But, I did find that once we got over that hump of HOLY CRAP how are we going to pay for all of this?!...we got optimistic and figured out a plan of action.  Made us both feel better.

Anyone have any tips on how to pay for last minute stuff?  I hear that PayPal will let you pay for your honeymoon on credit and give you 6 months to pay it back.  We have considered that.  

Also, for Christmas I asked for stuff that I need for the wedding hoping that my mom would get my shoes,  my grandmother my veil and my aunts the garter, unity candle, etc.  

Any other tips out there?

• We are reallllly trying to keep the last minute spending to a minimum.  But I am LOVING the idea of getting stuff you need for the wedding for Christmas!  I'm most concerned with the additional costs from the vendors (i.e. venue extras that are not due until the day of).  I feel like those are going to add up quick and I do not want to have to put $1000 on my credit card before we leave for our honeymoon.

Speaking of honeymoon, how does the paypal thing work?  Does it charge interest?
  • I am more than freaking out! I budgeted $15,000 but that was when I was working. We are sticking to that budget but it's getting harder to come up with the money since I am unemployed. As of right now, with my savings and FI's savings and the money my parents are giving us towards the wedding, we are still like $2,000 short. Either FI is going to have to take on a lot of details and OT or I am going to have to start stripping. lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not freaking out, per se, but I do know that a lot of extra expenses are probably going to come up last minute.  I also didn't really account for tips, so that's going to be like...practically an extra grand.  Our biggest thing is going to be the caterer, which we still have to book...yikes!  Planning to get it done before xmas though, so we should be fine.  
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2011-weddings_paying-off-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:643Discussion:bbb0d66a-f63c-4c66-ae17-c96aed6e34d3Post:faf2493b-4ba3-421f-9cf6-07dae99e0a58">Re: Paying off vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not freaking out, per se, but I do know that a lot of extra expenses are probably going to come up last minute.  I also didn't really account for tips, so that's going to be like...practically an extra grand.  Our biggest thing is going to be the caterer, which we still have to book...yikes!  Planning to get it done before xmas though, so we should be fine.  
    Posted by Callmebetty[/QUOTE]

Speaking of tips - which we have recently included in our spreadsheet and I think it stressed the FI out a bit...  I'm a little confused.

TK's article on tipping says that you should tip the wait staff and stuff if not already included - IF it's exceptional service?  But then it says that you normally tip them up front.  So how does that work? If you haven't had the service yet, how do you know if you should tip? And my contract has "++" in it, which is +taxes, + service charge - and I believe they said is NOT the same as gratuity.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2011-weddings_paying-off-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:643Discussion:bbb0d66a-f63c-4c66-ae17-c96aed6e34d3Post:38add4aa-f93e-40cd-8531-28a240f7b8e2">Re: Paying off vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying off vendors : Speaking of tips - which we have recently included in our spreadsheet and I think it stressed the FI out a bit...  I'm a little confused. TK's article on tipping says that you should tip the wait staff and stuff if not already included - IF it's exceptional service?  But then it says that you normally tip them up front.  So how does that work? If you haven't had the service yet, how do you know if you should tip? And my contract has "++" in it, which is +taxes, + service charge - and I believe they said is NOT the same as gratuity.
    Posted by elorgwhee[/QUOTE]

<div>Right.  Service charge is not the same as included gratuity.  I guess what would make sense to me, is if you handed an envelope to each server (or delegated it to a family member or DOC) the day of the wedding, but if the service was really terrible, then you might not tip or tip less.  We have had the number of servers included in every catering proposal we have, so that seems like the best way to do it to me.  </div>
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2011-weddings_paying-off-vendors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:643Discussion:bbb0d66a-f63c-4c66-ae17-c96aed6e34d3Post:e3995d0f-26b6-40dd-ab32-8414d5d7d130">Re: Paying off vendors</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying off vendors : Right.  Service charge is not the same as included gratuity.  I guess what would make sense to me, is if you handed an envelope to each server (or delegated it to a family member or DOC) the day of the wedding, but if the service was really terrible, then you might not tip or tip less.  We have had the number of servers included in every catering proposal we have, so that seems like the best way to do it to me.  
    Posted by Callmebetty[/QUOTE]

Ok cool.
    I don't think we'll be able to get a count on the staff members working that night until we have a better idea of the number of guests that will actually be attending.  But maybe I'll ask for an estimate on what the range would be so I can plan for that.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards