Snarky Brides

Healthcare Mandate

Re: Healthcare Mandate

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:1e6ad324-94ec-4522-94e2-274bb2f3facd">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : While the timing is sure crummy, that probably had less to do with Obamacare than you think. Rates (and rate increases) are actually set pretty far in advance. They may have done it in anticipation of increased costs, but it may have been just a really poorly timed increase that would have happened anyway. Even though the plan passed, it hadn't gone into effect yet when your premiums went up.
    Posted by annie912[/QUOTE]

It went up because I live in a state where health insurance is mandatory and they can charge whatever they want.  They knew people would be dropping and going on the govt plan so they jacked up the price.  I dont think it was crummy timing.  I think they knew exactly what they were doing.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:1e6ad324-94ec-4522-94e2-274bb2f3facd">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : While the timing is sure crummy, that probably had less to do with Obamacare than you think. Rates (and rate increases) are actually set pretty far in advance. They may have done it in anticipation of increased costs, but it may have been just a really poorly timed increase that would have happened anyway. Even though the plan passed, it hadn't gone into effect yet when your premiums went up.
    Posted by annie912[/QUOTE]

Yup.  It takes forfuckingever for rate increases or really any policy changes to be approved.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • This all I can think about. A person making 50k a year is offered insurance through their company. Insurance is $400/month = $3600 per year. The fine or "tax" for not having it is $500. Person is mostly healthy so they opt to keep more of their money and just pay the tax. Person gets sick, doesn't have cash, goes to ER, racks up bills (more than the $500 they paid to the government) and doesn't pay the bill, or takes 4 years to pay small monthly payments back. ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED BECAUSE THE PERSON AT LEAST PAID THE $500 TAX (assuming they actually do pay the tax)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think this law is perfect in any way, but I think it's a necessary move in the right direction.

Right now our country has some of the most expensive healthcare, and we are nowhere near the top as far as actual health goes.  That, to me, needs to change.  And one way to have costs go down is for everyone to have coverage, increasing the "healthy" pool of insured people.

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but there will be subsidies for those in low income brackets.

To me, it's in everyone's best interest if people have at least minimum health insurance.  If my only option is to get my own insurance is right now and it costs me $200 a month, then I'm probably going to just hope I stay healthy.  But if I can either sign up and pay a reasonable amount (say $50 / month) or pay a penalty tax, then I probably will sign up.  And in the long run if I get sick in a catastrophic way, I will benefit, along with the rest of the taxpayers.

To me, it's a common good thing - it's only in my best interest to pay for health insurance if everyone else does, too, so the premiums are affordable.  Therefore it's a larger issue than just me, and the government should be involved to serve everyone's best interest.
    imageimage
  • Health insurance premiums go up by about 6% a year (on average).  The average PPO cost per month is about $800-900 for a healthy adult (in 2008, the last time I looked), so about $2000 per family.  Going up by $100/month would be expected for your family, Blue, just based on this, not based on Romneycare.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:04398e75-1bf2-493e-b1a7-59f501da2526">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]This all I can think about. A person making 50k a year is offered insurance through their company. Insurance is $400/month = $3600 per year. The fine or "tax" for not having it is $500. Person is mostly healthy so they opt to keep more of their money and just pay the tax. Person gets sick, doesn't have cash, goes to ER, racks up bills (more than the $500 they paid to the government) and doesn't pay the bill, or takes 4 years to pay small monthly payments back. ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED BECAUSE THE PERSON AT LEAST PAID THE $500 TAX (assuming they actually do pay the tax)
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

But that person always had the option to not pay for the insurance offered through their employer. At any point prior to this, they could have done the exact same thing. I don't think anyone has said (and I'm fairly confident that I didn't) say that any part of this plan, including the tax solves all the problems. There is always going to be someone who tries to game the system, who tries to get out of something, who tries to get something for nothing.
    In your example, that person is really taking a huge chance financially if they opt to not pay their bill. If they really think they're better off taking that chance, trashing their credit, getting a judgment against them, not much anyone can do. You can't legislate people into making intelligent decisions and even duct tape can't fix stupid.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:04398e75-1bf2-493e-b1a7-59f501da2526">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]This all I can think about. A person making 50k a year is offered insurance through their company. Insurance is $400/month = $3600 per year. The fine or "tax" for not having it is $500. Person is mostly healthy so they opt to keep more of their money and just pay the tax. Person gets sick, doesn't have cash, goes to ER, racks up bills (more than the $500 they paid to the government) and doesn't pay the bill, or takes 4 years to pay small monthly payments back. ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED BECAUSE THE PERSON AT LEAST PAID THE $500 TAX (assuming they actually do pay the tax)
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

The law will only be effective if premiums are at least comparable to the tax penalty.  So if premiums stay high and the subsidies are unreasonable, then this will happen.  I don't believe that it will, but I don't totally trust the government, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if it works they way it's supposed to.
    imageimage
  • Where the heck are my paragraphs going????????
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:997864f5-61ba-4bf9-ba33-da3dc014c76a">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : The law will only be effective if premiums are at least comparable to the tax penalty.  So if premiums stay high and the subsidies are unreasonable, then this will happen.  I don't believe that it will, but I don't totally trust the government, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if it works they way it's supposed to.
    Posted by dannie134[/QUOTE]
    That's what I don't trust either, I have very serious doubts that premiums will be managed to something comparable to the tax. Honestly, I don't even see how the government can say that they would be. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • The boards seem to have a lag in between when people post and when their posts actually show up.  What else is new, TK is buggy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:04c1cec9-017a-4107-80da-487fb70304c6">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Health insurance premiums go up by about 6% a year (on average).  The average PPO cost per month is about $800-900 for a healthy adult (in 2008, the last time I looked), so about $2000 per family.  Going up by $100/month would be expected for your family, Blue, just based on this, not based on Romneycare.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

I wasnt married at the time so I didnt have a family plan.  It was a single plan. It went from 475 to 575.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:997864f5-61ba-4bf9-ba33-da3dc014c76a">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : The law will only be effective if premiums are at least comparable to the tax penalty.  So if premiums stay high and the subsidies are unreasonable, then this will happen.  I don't believe that it will, but I don't totally trust the government, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if it works they way it's supposed to.
    Posted by dannie134[/QUOTE]

The penalty/tax, from what I've seen, actually is quite a bit less than most people's premiums would be right off the bat. It goes up in 2016, but I still don't know how much of a disincentive it really is. But, if they make the penalty too high, it creates a whole other set of issues. Tough line between being effective and being oppressive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh.  Ew.

But...  I know that there are years where certain insurance companies raise premiums up to 15% (I remember Blue Cross threatened an across the board increase of 30% a couple years ago but then lowered it to about 18%) in a given year.  6% is the historic average.  Your employer might have passed the entire rate increase onto you rather than split the increase.

I don't know.  I just doubt that your premium increase that year was solely because of MA's individual mandate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:4a1d33bd-321b-44a0-8006-b91b472b0001">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]The boards seem to have a lag in between when people post and when their posts actually show up.  What else is new, TK is buggy.

My issue is when I'm typing something, it looks like it's in paragraphs, but when I see it actually posted, it looks like a giant wall of text without paragraphs. Are you guys seeing it that way?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:a42dd019-759c-473e-b65a-effa92ab514a">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dannie exactly how much medical coverage could one possibly get for $50 a month? Though a plan like that is sure to pop up in order to meet minimum requirements the copays, deductibles and coverage limits are going to be ridiculous. I don't see how plans like this will improve overall health in this country when people spend more than that per week on fast food.. I agree we need a solution, just not sure this is it.
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

Well, I was thinking of a story someone told me recently about a guy whose wife got cancer.  She passed away, and he was left with hundreds of thousands in medical bills because they didn't have insurance when she got sick.  While $50 / month might not get you a low co-insurance limit, it would at least provide a cap for medical costs in the case of something really catastrophic.  No the average person will not be in that situation, but it does happen, and some insurance is better than none.

Plus depending on the subsidies, and whether costs actually do come down, it could happen - I paid $60 / month for my single plan through my insurer before getting married, and my coverage is pretty decent.
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:72ce24c2-f954-4647-af18-eca185ad8eac">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh.  Ew. But...  I know that there are years where certain insurance companies raise premiums up to 15% (I remember Blue Cross threatened an across the board increase of 30% a couple years ago but then lowered it to about 18%) in a given year.  6% is the historic average.  Your employer might have passed the entire rate increase onto you rather than split the increase. I don't know.  I just doubt that your premium increase that year was solely because of MA's individual mandate.

My employer didnt offer insurance because I was a bartender.  I dont think it went up because of Romneycare, I said it went up within 6 weeks of Obamacare passing.  I did have Blue Cross at the time.

My family plan now is $1500 a month.  H's employer pays a good chunk of it because he has been there so long and loves him, but he doesnt have to because of the amount of employees that he has, so he isnt required to pay a red cent.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also curious to see how this effects (if it does at all) enrollment periods for companies.

imageVacation
  • @dannie134
    Right now our country has some of the most expensive healthcare, and we are nowhere near the top as far as actual health goes.  That, to me, needs to change.  And one way to have costs go down is for everyone to have coverage, increasing the "healthy" pool of insured people.

Completely agree with this!  We also have some of the most expensive drug costs as well. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:5a57f05c-0f37-4d19-9a4e-0f1ffbc376ba">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also curious to see how this effects (if it does at all) enrollment periods for companies.
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting question.  Because it doesn't take effect for another year and a half, I doubt there'd be any immediate changes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:5a57f05c-0f37-4d19-9a4e-0f1ffbc376ba">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also curious to see how this effects (if it does at all) enrollment periods for companies.
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

t think its going to change the way companies offer insurance to employees.  Before they had to offer it if they had a certain number of employees because there were no other options.  I see a lot of companies offering very basic insurance and telling people to go get obamacare if they dont like that option.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:5566eb3c-7fbf-42ad-9ae0-29ecda205252">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think some companies will choose insurance that mirrors Obamacare at very low rates and though they may technically be providing benefits, those benefits will suck ass.

Yup.  And for people like me who need IF coverage, I think we will be left in the dust paying outrageous premiums for the type of care that we need.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im posting and running.  Off to get my hair did.  Going back to blonde.  Check back in later.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • annie912annie912 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:5566eb3c-7fbf-42ad-9ae0-29ecda205252">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think some companies will choose insurance that mirrors Obamacare at very low rates and though they may technically be providing benefits, those benefits will suck ass.

There are minimum levels of coverage, and from what I've seen it looks like they're pretty inclusive. But, yes, there is always the risk that only the minimum will be done. Again, basic principal of business. Minimize your costs.

But, also keep in mind that this will have an impact on much of the unneccessary medical spending. If my benefits go down, I'm really going to think twice about going in for an unneccessary procedure thinking "well, insurance pays for it anyway." People may actually realize that taking better care of themselves is more cost-effective than popping a pill for hypertension. We can do a lot to lower our medical costs, and a lot of people don't do it.

Here's a recent example. FI takes his two sons in for their regular dentist appointment earlier this week. Hygenist suggests the full-mouth xrays for both kids (the thing that goes around your head, not sure what the actual name is). One kid is 6. The reasoning is to see if there's anything from an alignment standpoint that they need to "keep an eye on". The 8 year old had one not too long ago because he had a mouth injury. FI was told that insurance probably wouldn't cover the 8 yo's because the last one was less than 3 years ago, but since the 6 yo's would be covered he might as well do it. I'm not a dentist, so if anyone here is, please correct me. What could you possibly find in the mouth of a 6 year old that would require intervention now and could only be seen with a very expensive full mouth xray? Does that really justify the exposure to the radiation (found differing opinions on this online)? And does it justify the cost? And can anyone explain the attitude that it's important for the 6 year old because insurance will cover it, but maybe not so important for the 8 year old who actually had the injury becase insurance might not cover it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • how do companies that offer 100% coverage do it?!

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:98d0342e-910d-42be-ba3e-768913bb75aa">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]how do companies that offer 100% coverage do it?!
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but our company does.  I'm very curious now to see if this will change for me.  I'm also wondering if the independent policy we are applying FI for will be more expensive than what we were originally quoted.
    imageVacation
  • I work for the govt and don't even have 100% coverage ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:de37bf14-dee4-4a4c-bbf9-a0f35b9a89f6">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let me add this about how premiums are going to go up. When Obamacare first passed, my premium went up $100 a month within the first 6 weeks.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Ours went up $12 a month. It didn't kill us.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:9564c0d1-4753-44a3-88ee-aea248b09c19">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : It went up because I live in a state where health insurance is mandatory <strong>and they can charge whatever they want.</strong>  They knew people would be dropping and going on the govt plan so they jacked up the price.  I dont think it was crummy timing.  I think they knew exactly what they were doing.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe the state regulates it.
    <a href="http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/press-releases/20120430oca-rates.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/press-releases/20120430oca-rates.html</a>
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:36b5fe91-d170-4473-9b97-824833a3d3f2">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Healthcare Mandate : Ours went up $12 a month. It didn't kill us.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

But if you're one of the unemployed persons who is forced to have insurance and premiums go up, $12 a month could be a hardship.

I feel like this plan is just going to further kick those who are already down. And people say I don't have a heart. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_healthcare-mandate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b268a0fb-fba8-4eba-9ee0-b8ac2802bbebPost:897e3f2c-fb7c-4e72-a554-154d8e6b8b11">Re: Healthcare Mandate</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work for the govt and don't even have 100% coverage ;)
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

<div>My mom's a retired federal employee, and my dad's a retired AF colonel. Between the insurance offered as part of her retirement and the Tricare my dad is eligible for, they have 100% coverage. Her recent $160,000 back surgery and subsequent rehabilitation cost her a grand total of $0.</div><div>
    </div><div>I am not that lucky. We have decent insurance through H's company, but before we got married, I wasn't able to find anything remotely affordable that would accept my preexiting conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, clotting disorder, severe allergies, etc.). I am thrilled about the SCOTUS decision.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards