Not Engaged Yet

Help Me Out?

I'm doing a project for a class on Non-verbal communication. I need to ask people who been a jury member in a courtroom in some other role about nonverbal communication they may have noticed. If anyone here is willing I would really appreciate it if you could help me out.

I mostly need to know
1) a little bit about the case (this can be really general, I don't need specifics if you are uncomfortable or prefer not to give them)
2) what your role in the court room was
3) what sort of nonverbals (facial expressions, tone of voice, body language, ect.) really stuck out to you.
4) what sort of affect did it have on you?

Even though I'm not publishing my paper in anyway, I still won't be using anyone's real names for privacy reasons.

Re: Help Me Out?

• Beth, I wish I had done jury duty so I could help you out! (And also because I'm dying to do it.)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:55a43f8f-8d04-478e-a124-e356a157cb24Post:90785fa9-a2d9-4057-9298-bcc35381fbec">Re: Help Me Out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beth, I wish I had done jury duty so I could help you out! (And also because I'm dying to do it.)
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

You're dying to do jury duty?

If so, you and I are new bff's.  I freaking love jury duty.  I cried when I got dismissed the last time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:55a43f8f-8d04-478e-a124-e356a157cb24Post:0d18e7b3-460d-4634-8d82-40cd53e6d4a9">Re: Help Me Out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help Me Out? : You're dying to do jury duty? If so, you and I are new bff's.  I freaking love jury duty.  I cried when I got dismissed the last time.
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes! I find the whole thing fascinating. I got called last year. I sat there for 1 day and then that was that. I was sad :(</div>

• I really thought I was the only one who enjoyed jury duty! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I thought I would pop in and help you out :)

1) a little bit about the case
    It was a complicated battery case, surprisingly enough. A boyfriend had previous assault charges, and even in the courtroom was a douche. He had come home one night, drunk from the bar, and broke his girlfriends cheekbone and dislocated their babies arm. :/
    I was a juror. I was in no way involved in the case other than deciding whether he was guilty or innocent. 
    3) what sort of nonverbals (facial expressions, tone of voice, body language, ect.) really stuck out to you. 
    It was quite obvious that the one being convicted did not care. He sat slouched in his chair, picking his teeth and answering nonchalantly. It was not his first charge against him and most certainly not his first rodeo in the courtroom, and his disregard for authority or what he did to his ex and child was amazing to me. Him slouching to one side is the real thing that sticks out. 
    I am super interested in law, and psychology (Psych major). So even though he was displaying these nonverbal signs, I tried really hard to focus on the entire case and not let part of my decision rest on how he acted. It was extremely difficult, because *personally* I feel like if you give a damn about whether you're going to jail for a long time, you might put on a tie and sit up straight, instead of being flippant and short with the judge/prosecutor. 

Hope I helped, feel free to ask me any more questions!
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • I've never been on a jury, sorry.  I can tell you what the inside of a courtroom looks like arguing from a counsel's position and I'm very conscious of my non-verbal communication to the judge, etc. but I'm not sure if that is helpful.
  • I also got dismissed the only time I've ever gotten summoned! Darn :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_help-me-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:55a43f8f-8d04-478e-a124-e356a157cb24Post:23a5ea6a-be5f-427a-8a22-81149b55f054">Help Me Out?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm doing a project for a class on Non-verbal communication. I need to ask people who been a jury member in a courtroom in some other role about nonverbal communication they may have noticed. If anyone here is willing I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. I mostly need to know 1) a little bit about the case (this can be really general, I don't need specifics if you are uncomfortable or prefer not to give them)
    <strong>
    1) A juror in Lowell, MA: An insurance company was denying reimbursement for medical expenses sustained by a passenger in a car accident that happened roughly 24 months before the trial date. They were trying to prove that the person did not get injured in the car and that the medical expenses were unreasonable.

2) An oberver in Boston, MA: My father was trying to deny my mother her petition for guardianship of my brother - age 21 at the time, diagnosed with PPD NOS (Autisim spectrum) at age 5, by trying to prove that my brother is completely independent and can operate independently. </strong>

<strong>
    1) A juror
    2) An observer/ relative of both defendent plaintiff
    </strong>
     and 3) what sort of nonverbals (facial expressions, tone of voice, body language, ect.) really stuck out to you.
    <strong>
    1) - the tone of the defendant's lawyer (insurance company) was very agressive, I couldn't really see their faces, but they were very stoic. They held themselves very stiffly and tried to be in an assertive stance. The tone of the plaintiff (The physical therapy place) was very genuine, they were requesting just for the coverage of the physical therapy sessions (3x/week for 12 weeks - nothing that seems terribly extreme) and tried to be un-intimidating. The lawyer for the plaintiff did not puff out his chest or anything.

2) My brother's lawyer seemed very confident in his stance, but wasn't overbearing. He was very matter of fact. My mother's lawyer was a little spastic, using his hands to speak, and my father's lawyer was very meek and mild, holding his hands as he spoke. My father's face stuck out to me; he looked p.o.'d with a hard jaw and kept shooting daggers with his eyes at my mother's lawyer.
    </strong>

<strong>1) The Insurance company's lawyer made me think he was a bully, he presented himself as pompus. I believe the rest of the jury did too, as we awarded the money to the PT office.

2) It made me think less of my father </strong>(what else is new?)

Even though I'm not publishing my paper in anyway, I still won't be using anyone's real names for privacy reasons.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've never been called before, but I can't figure out if it would be interesting or awful. I think it would be interesting for me and awful for my poor coworkers because we don't have enough nurses for the number of patients we have.

I was almost a witness for a Scientology abuse case, but it was dropped by the plaintiff at the last moment.

• I've always ended being exempt for jury duty since I was a student but since I've graduated I haven't been sumoned once yet. I find that interesting because my parents get summoned all the time.
  • I wish I could help, but can't.  FI was recently called for jury duty and excused.  He felt very rejected by it, as he considers himself fair minded.  Good luck with your project, Beth!

• I supposedly can be called for jury duty ALL year.  which I think is odd, but we'll go with it.  Plus I'm not getting married till 2014, and I can't be called then or something.  At least that's what it sounded like when I signed the pre-jury duty form (VA is weird in a lot of aways, obviously.)

My mom got jury duty for this huge murder trial once (a guy was on trial for raping and killing a 12 year old or so...) and she was dismissed because she had THREE teenage daughters at the time.  She said they guy was really creepy though (obviously, this isn't good enough for your paper, but an interesting tidbit.)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Thanks for the responses ladies :) They really help me out!

Rdr - I have a friend who was ridiculously excited that she got to be on a jury. It was like Christmas for her lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards