Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom

• edited December 2011
    Ladies! I found their inspiration!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our first "child" and he's a handful!
  • juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I generally like Lady Gaga but I seriously think her individuality should be limited.  I also think that she might have been inspired by....

and, before I get slammed, I love Elton John too.  I have all of his CDs.
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She does cite Elton John as an inspiration! I love them both.
  • dianaslikdianaslik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pictures: absurd and entertaining!

This whole exchange: hilarious.

Can I start an "anti-political-correctness campaign"?

Oh, and I like to eat my feelings.

That is all.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-ghetto-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:04e622d1-a426-4f7a-8f1b-1d680b8ccc6ePost:0fcb275e-0a39-42cf-b4a7-367ed6dbf641">Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]She does cite Elton John as an inspiration! I love them both.
    Posted by BanannaP[/QUOTE]
    Me too, Anna.  I've seen him with Billy Joel and it was awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm way late to this (had a panic attack today and had to go to the doctor).  As someone of color I will throw in my personal opinion.  Do I think the word is racist? Not really.  Is it something that I use in my normal vocabulary? No.  For those that might actually live in or have lived in the "ghetto" they might have a different opinion.  I just wanted to share my thoughts.
  • angieandjamesangieandjames member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lauren, hope you're feeling better.

This thread is fascinating.  I have never seen the folks on this board outright attack anyone the way you ladies attack N&M.  Really, it's pretty childish.  I'm not even weighing in on the discussion, but what would happen if, the next time she posts a pot-stirring comment, everyone who joined in on this attack just ignored it?  I get that she annoys some people, but what about advice such as "if it bothers you, just keep on going and don't read it or reply to it" that is so frequently given to her?  Just my .02.

With regards to the duct tape dress... Duck brand duct tape used to (and probably still does) offer a scholarship for such dresses.  You have to make your dress out of their tape (and they have some great colors these days) and submit a photo.  I can't remember how they select the winner.  But, it was legit back when I was promming it up :)
  • edited December 2011
    I rarely use the term ghetto but it's the name of the sites. Who am I to change their choice of words. Honestly, I've been here a month and I have yet to see N&M post anything of value or encouragement to anyone. You are an instigator. Simple as that, and that's fine. Be who you are. Just don't expect us to be sunshine, rainbows and glitter ponies about it. PS: I totally saw Mean Girls on cable tonight. I may or may not have forced FI and his BM to watch it while I made dinner
    edited December 2011
    Angie,
    Many people have said before "If you don't like it, move on and don't comment".  It's frequently been used on FFF.  But, in most everyone's defense who jumped on yesterday's bandwagon, Merritt has never personally met any of us to my knowledge and yet she has come here and called us racist and has personally called me elitist and classist.  So please don't defend her to me or to the others she has labeled without knowing who any of us are. 

Lauren,
    I was hoping you had some insight on this. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-ghetto-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:04e622d1-a426-4f7a-8f1b-1d680b8ccc6ePost:f87ec7b1-0dfc-4995-bf3f-32ebb8f7e2ae">Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom : While I agree that this would definitely solve this problem faster, I know that some girls have felt that they are being told they're not entitled to their own opinions.  Do we tend to jump on the "Let's all Hate Merritt!" bandwagon?  Oh yes.  There are girls on this board who are not going to be berated for feeling one way or another lying down, and there's nothing wrong with that. It really would be nice if we could all hold hands and sing campfire songs.  Unfortunately, the topics that lead to arguments are almost always conversations that draw a really emotional response.  I'd like to reiterate though, that Angie's totally right about ignoring anyone who consistently annoys you/us.  I know most of us have tried and just get frustrated, but 4srs. Also, I totally wanted to do DT Prom.
    Posted by mrsamandamiller[/QUOTE]

If anyone feels personally berated or attacked by my comments in this thread, I genuinely apologize. That wasn't my intention. And I didn't mean to say that anyone wasn't entitled to her opinion. So if it came across that way I'm sorry.

ETA: Julie, I just saw your comment, so just to clarify I wasn't saying that anyone here was racist. And I don't see any reason to rehash the thread about the lazy hungry woman etc. but I do feel like there is a difference between saying that someone made a classist assumption and saying that someone is overall a classist person. I don't think I have ever commented on your character or your intentions for that matter, nor have I attacked you personally or told you that you're not entitled to express your opinions here and should leave, but you frequently feel the need to do all of these things to me.

In the same way I don't think that asking whether something is racist has to be read as a personal attack against anyone, but I understand the incilincation to get defensive when that topic comes up, so I should have been clearer.

Oh, and, Julie, I definitely never said you were elitist. Because I don't think you're elitist. At all.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-ghetto-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:04e622d1-a426-4f7a-8f1b-1d680b8ccc6ePost:14cfee3b-d7ee-483f-9277-6b2bf5a9d696">Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Duck brand duct tape used to (and probably still does) offer a scholarship for such dresses.  You have to make your dress out of their tape (and they have some great colors these days) and submit a photo.  I can't remember how they select the winner.  But, it was legit back when I was promming it up :)
    Posted by angieandjames[/QUOTE]
    It is my understanding that they do this.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-ghetto-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:04e622d1-a426-4f7a-8f1b-1d680b8ccc6ePost:638b5833-9265-4c88-862a-4cad6450d53f">Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I rarely use the term ghetto but it's the name of the sites. Who am I to change their choice of words. <strong>Honestly, I've been here a month and I have yet to see N&M post anything of value or encouragement to anyone</strong>. You are an instigator. Simple as that, and that's fine. Be who you are. Just don't expect us to be sunshine, rainbows and glitter ponies about it. PS: I totally saw Mean Girls on cable tonight. I may or may not have forced FI and his BM to watch it while I made dinner
    Posted by KendallandAlbert[/QUOTE]

Kendall, I don't really think that's fair. It's understandable if you haven't read every word I've posted on this board in the past month, but I have  thanked you personally repeatedly for creating the new DFW site and have tried to help you out with information for it.
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_nwr-ghetto-prom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:04e622d1-a426-4f7a-8f1b-1d680b8ccc6ePost:95fbfde8-e5bd-4df7-955a-1f0ebfbcfda3">Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR - Ghetto Prom : Kendall, I don't really think that's fair. It's understandable if you haven't read every word I've posted on this board in the past month, but I have  thanked you personally repeatedly for creating the new DFW site and have tried to help you out with information for it.
    Posted by nickandmerritt[/QUOTE]

You have said thank you, yes.  But I have yet to see you post WR encouragement without first trying to instigate something. 

As for ignoring it if it annoys me?  I did for over a full month because I was/am a newbie still.  But at some point, enough is enough.   It's time to take your drama llama elsewhere :(
    edited December 2011
    So, this is it for me, but if you're going to say to say that I seem that way by my comments, then you must think that I am. 

I'm done.  Happy Thursday.
  • bethlovesjimbethlovesjim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't read all 3 pages of these comments. I'm ADD, and a squirrel just ran by.
    However, I grew up in Plano... on the EAST side. I now live in Dallas... NORTH Dallas off of Preston Rd. ghetto... I've lived there all my life!

I forgot my point... Oh!  my neighbor was in one of those pictures...  ha!

Ugh... Just edited for spelling   and ellipsis... yeah there were more than this! haha
    first camping trip engagement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm caught up :)

BAHAHAHAH!!!

I love mean girls!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards