November 2011 Weddings

BBC: TGWTDT Discussion

Since tomorrow is the official discussion day and I might not be able to post again until later in the day, I thought I'd go ahead and get the discussion kicked off tonight.

1.  Did you enjoy the book overall?  (see the poll below)

2.  What did you think of Mikael as a protagonist?  Did you think he was a well-developed character?  Too shallow?  What about that whole thing with Erika?  Etc.

3.  What are your thoughts on Lisbeth?  Did her reaction to certain events (such as the incidents with Advokat Bjurman) change your views on her?

4.  What did you make of Mikael and Lisbeth's relationship?

5.  Do you agree with Anita Vanger's decision to run away and live a new life?  How did you feel about her decision to forget about her brother's abuse instead of reporting it and potentially preventing a serial rapist and murderer from operating?

6.  Did you see the movie?  If so, how did it differ from the book?  If not, do you plan to see it?
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: BBC: TGWTDT Discussion

• i am really sad to report that I failed to finisht he book.  But I still will participate in the discussion, because I'm about half way done. I've been so busy at work that I just collapse when I get home. :(

So far I really like it and I can't wait until the end.  I promise I'll be better with next month's book. :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    my read shelf:
    Savanna Funkhouser's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1.  Did you enjoy the book overall?  (see the poll below)

I thought it was ok. With all of the hype over it, I expected more I think. I found it hard going to start, and then I had trouble connecting with the characters myself. I gave it 2 stars.

2.  What did you think of Mikael as a protagonist?  Did you think he was a well-developed character?  Too shallow?  What about that whole thing with Erika?  Etc.

As I stated above, I had a hard time connecting with the characters, and mostly with Mikael. He did seem shallow to me, and I disliked the affairs he had with Erika and the Vanger woman. Not that I am a prude about such things really, but he never came across as very sympathetic to begin with. He just didn't make an impression on me.

3.  What are your thoughts on Lisbeth?  Did her reaction to certain events (such as the incidents with Advokat Bjurman) change your views on her?

I did connect better with Lisbeth. I can appreciate the eye for an eye justice with the advocat. I feel like we didn't get enough of her back story though. For example, they mentioned something with her sister and we never really heard the story. Perhaps this continues in the other books. I found it a little frustrating when I was enjoying reading about her backstory and her life and then it abruptly switched to Mikeal.

I would have liked it better if it hadn't been sexual. I liked that they were sort of growing this gruding respect for each other as people, and I appreciated the friendship. Then they had to go make it so that Lisbeth had the unrequited love thing going on. To me, that was so out of keeping with her character. But perhaps it was an attempt to humanize her more?

5.  Do you agree with Anita Vanger's decision to run away and live a new life?  How did you feel about her decision to forget about her brother's abuse instead of reporting it and potentially preventing a serial rapist and murderer from operating?

I think her decision was understandable. In those times and in promenant families, there is the risk that such things would merely be covered up. I don't think she knew the extent of what her brother would become to the public at large. To me it seemed like she thought when her father died that her brother would stop as well. And I don't think she could face it anymore. She did, in her small way, try to reassure her uncle she was ok.

6.  Did you see the movie?  If so, how did it differ from the book?  If not, do you plan to see it?

I did not and probably won't. In general the movies are never as good, and I am not good with scenes of extreme violence either.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic *This is not legal advice*

Not really.  My best friend (and MOH) read this book a couple years back for a class or something.  She REALLY hated it.  She tried to talk me out of reading it myself until I told her I had to because it was for a book club that I was sort of running, lol.  The book to me was just alright.  Not epic or anything, just pretty good.  I gave it three stars, mostly on literary merit.  I finished it and found myself not caring to continue with the trilogy, if that helps explain it better.

I was not a big fan of Mikael.  I feel like he was very shallow, and at times I felt like he was the author's way of acting out his own fantasies.  All in one year he has an affair with a married woman, a cougar, and a girl that's barely legal?  Please.  I don't know of a man that's had all three of those in his lifetime, much less overlapping each other.  It helped me make sense of why they cast Daniel Craig as him in the movie, but it wasn't a very believable part of the plotline.

Basically, as I was reading along from Mikael's perspective, he felt more to me like a necessary literary device than a person.  A tool by definition, lol.

Now Lisbeth, I like.  She seems realistically badass and even likable in a strange way.  The whole "relationship" with Mikael is completely out of character for her, but I chalk that up to being a necessary development in Mikael's unrealistic collection of affairs.  I was pretty impressed with her retaliation against Bjurman, however, if I were interested in reading further I'd be worried about how he plans to retaliate against her.

Like I said before, I think it was unrealistic.  That he would have been attracted to her, maybe.  But I don't think Lisbeth would have reciprocated.  I can see her thinking of him as a puzzle to solve, I can even see her wanting to use him for sex occassionally.  But I don't think she would have fallen in love with him.

I agree with Lisbeth's view of Harriet/Anita.  I'm pretty angry with her for not doing something about Martin.  I understand the immediate need to run away and hide, but what about once she was safe?  Once she was tucked away on another continent with a big strong husband and dozens of ranch hands looking out for her, she should have at least made an anonymous tip to the Swedish authorities.

I'll grant you that she couldn't have known what Martin would become, but she knew that her father had been doing what he was doing.  And even if he was already dead and couldn't be punished for his crimes, I think she owed it to those victims and their families to at least give them some closure.

I didn't and I don't plan to.  I can't deal with that much violence, lol.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2011-weddings_bbc-tgwtdt-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:651Discussion:adb06b5e-ed00-4ff6-a07f-971bc87fe3acPost:d49b2c66-da6e-432a-90f8-81512482e820">Re: BBC: TGWTDT Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE] I am anxiously awaiting the day you all switch to different types of books. I just can't read books that have been made into movies.
    Posted by spikeinc[/QUOTE]
    Well we're planning on reading <em>The Hunger Games</em> next, which is technically a movie but won't be in theaters until March 23.  You could join us for that one.  ;-)
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

Yes, I really did. I had a really hard time with the beginning though. I was so bored for most of that, and I asked H why on earth I'd decided to read it. After it picked up, I didn't want to put it down though. I really enjoyed the whole "discover the mystery" part and felt like I needed to know what happened. I haven't started the next books yet, but I definitely want to. I gave the book 4 stars overall, also because of the slow beginning.

Ah Mikael. He was definitely shallow. I didn't really give a crap about him to be honest. It was sort of like he was in the way of the rest of the story for me. I guess he had to exist so there would be a way to tell the whole Harriet story, but it just didn't matter. Particularly all the weird stuff about the story he got in trouble for and where he learned it. That seemed like a whole lot of boring extraneous information.

As for the Erika thing, I was over that whole thing before it even really came into play. It doesn't seem believable in the first place, and Erika didn't really seem to serve a purpose to the story. Other than to create a relationship problem for Lisbeth later on, but that doesn't fit the story to me either so she could've just been left out IMO.

I loved her. I think her revenge on Bjurman was spectacular. He probably deserved worse. I do wish there was more information about her past provided though. They mention her mother and sister and some event (which I took to be abuse, probably sexual) but they never explain it. Maybe (hopefully) the other books will tell more about her because I was disappointed with the information teaser.
    Unrealistic. I was glad when they made the connection between the two stories, and obviously he wasn't going to be able to figure everything out, or survive, without her assistance. Still, the fact that she falls in love with him was so completely out there. She had plenty of opportunity to let people in, and she chose not to, so I doubt very seriously that she's going to suddenly decide to have an intimate relationship with a random man who just happens to be sleeping with everybody. Disappointing.

Eh, I get that she needed to get out of there due to fear and not knowing what would happen to her if she stayed. She certainly needed to protect herself and she did try to make it known that she was okay somewhere. However, at a certain point she really should've tried to report Martin. Think of how many lives could've been saved it she hadn't disappeared. He probably wouldn't even have become the head of the family company. She could send her uncle a pressed flower every year, but not a note that said "hey my brother is a rapist"?
    I did not see the movie and I probably won't. I'm not usually into movies from books because they just disappoint.
    Anniversary
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Cocktail:White Russian
    Photobucket
  • fashionxfashionx member
    500 Comments
    edited January 2012
    1.  Did you enjoy the book overall?  (see the poll below)
    I gave it 4 stars - I enjoyed it for the most part though there were things that I think could've been better.

2.  What did you think of Mikael as a protagonist?  Did you think he was a well-developed character?  Too shallow?  What about that whole thing with Erika?  Etc.
    I liked Mikael most of the time, however I couldn't get onboard with the multiple relationships going on. He is a father and Lisbeth isn't much older than his daughter, and then he has the weird relationship/friends-with-benefits thing with Erika, and then the strange fling with Celia Vanger. I thought he was great as a writer/journalist, and although the Erika thing was weird, I could understand that relationship better than the other two. The fling with Celia just seemed like a weird showing off type of thing. Why would he get involved with someone in the family he's working for? I also found it strange how the family all knew about it yet didn't have much of a reaction.

I really like Lisbeth's character. She seems misunderstood but doesn't care what the world thinks as long as she can do her own thing. The incident with Advokat Bjurman was awful to read through, but I was so happy about the revenge she was able to get. I was rooting for her after that, though I kept expecting that somehow Bjurman would show up again later in the story and get some kind of revenge. I'm glad he didn't but I wonder if he shows up again in the future books.

I enjoyed their non-sexual relationship and how they got along. It really did humanize Lisbeth that she could relate to another person and care about them in the way she did. I didn't like that she turned into a "love-sick puppy" in some instances, like she became a different person. I did feel bad for her at the end, I felt like that was such a disappointing ending, and wish she would've just went up and confronted Mikael.

I can understand completely why Harriet/Anita ran away. However, I feel like after she was older that she should've owned up to it and come back. She had to have known at least some of the story of how her uncle was searching for her, trying to solve the mystery of her death, and how distraught the family as a whole had been. I feel like it was really irresponsible to not own up to that. I know she had no idea about the extent of her brother Martin's life and what he became, but even just to put her uncle's worry to rest, she should've come back sooner. Or at least have her cousin Anita tell her uncle what really happened, even if the rest of the family was in the dark.
    I didn't understand Lisbeth's decision to drop Martin's lap top in the water. I really hated that the family just decided to sweep it under the rug. I understand why Mikael didn't go forward with the story at that point, but I just don't like that none of those women nor their families would ever get any justice or closure from the situation.

I didn't see the movie, though I might. I also am not really wanting to see all the violence, but it was an interesting story so it might be interesting to watch. I'm undecided.
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita

I really did but I only gave it three stars. I guess because it didn't get me hooked enough and I'm not even sure I'm gonna read the rest of the series.

2.  What did you think of Mikael as a protagonist?  Did you think he was a well-developed character?  Too shallow?  What about that whole thing with Erika?  Etc.

I think I mostly liked him, but it was so strange how it felt like everyone mostly just brushed over his multiple relationships. It kinda creeps me out a little. And it was strange how in the end he admitted to being a bad father. I guess I just found all the relationships in the book to be strange.

I really wanted to like her but something about her kinda irked me but I definitely respected her and was interested in her story. I think what happened with Bjurman really solidified her character.

Her entire reaction to Mikael was strange. It took her from being a young woman to being a little girl. She develops this crush and it's really sweet, but sad at the same time because it seems like a girl's first crush on a teacher or something. 

I think Harriet did what she could at the time. I can't pretend that I could emphasize with her on this. She had to get out of the situation and she did it the only way she knew how. I believe that in that sort of situation your brain doesn't work as logically as it might usually so I wouldn't really blame her. 

I didn't and I don't know if I'm going to. I barely ever see movies and I'm not sure how good it'll be when so much of the book (I think) is hearing their thoughts on everything and eachother. 

Sorry for the late and lame notes. 
    January 2013 Moms - February Siggy Challenge - My Valentine
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards