Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Beer ceremony

My sister is my maid of honor and her boyfriend is performing our wedding ceremony.  He is a professor at the university here and teaches a brewing class.  My sister had the idea of us brewing a beer on our wedding day one that has to brew for a year before it is ready.  I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks

Re: Beer ceremony

• If you and your FI aren't brewers as well, I wouldn't recommend it.  It's a fairly complex, multi-stage process that can take several tries before creating anything remotely drinkable.  Cooking the wort requires quite a bit of equipment and involves boiling water, plus if the beer isn't prepared in a sterile environment, it can get contaminated and spoils very quickly even if kept cold.  (This happened to DH's first attempted brew.)  Not to mention that preparing the wort can take quite a while.  None of this is really compatible with appearing in dress clothes at the front of a church.

It's great that your officiant is into beer, but are you?  DH and I are both craft brew snobs, and while we did a unity cocktail instead of a candle, there wasn't any mention of beer in the ceremony.  However, if one of our friends or siblings incorporated beer into their wedding just because it's our thing, that would be all kinds of weird.

If the boyfriend wants to work with you guys to create a special brew for you to drink on your anniversary, that's totally awesome and badass.  But it's simply logistically impossible to have it as part of your ceremony.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I like beer.  I like trying different kinds of beers.  I like microbrewed beer.  I think beer in a wedding ceremony is weird.  Sorry.  Beer is awesome at a reception.  It's not awesome in a ceremony.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think it is a good idea, but if you are going to brew it yourselves, know that it is tricky!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards