Registry and Gift Forum

When do I open the gift?

I received a phone call from Home Outfitters yesterday (where I have a registry set up) and picked up the gift today.  It was wrapped, but I know what it is (a coffee maker).  The problem is, I don't know when to "open" the gift.  It is from a family friend who lives in Colorado (I live in Canada).  My wedding is not until July, but she recently sent me an e-mail saying that she wanted to buy me a gift for my shower.  I told her that I am having 2 showers.  The first one is being hosted by my bridesmaid next weekend for me and the girls I go to school with (mostly younger gals), because most of them will not be here for my shower that will be hosted in May by my mother (mostly my family, mothers friends and the girls from my work).

The coffeemaker cost $200, which seems expensive for a bridal shower gift, but if it was for the wedding why would she buy it so early?! When I am to open the gift and send her a thank you card? Should I open it now, at the bridal shower next weekend, the bridal shower in May, or for the wedding?

Re: When do I open the gift?

• You should open the gift now and send a thank you card immediately.  However, I believe the ettiquette is that you shoudl not start using it until after your wedding.  Kind of silly but in the off chance the wedding doesn't happen, you are supposed to return the gifts.  But get the thank you card out as soon as possible so she knows you recieved it.
  • Ok, thanks!

Do you think its a shower gift or wedding gift? Should I specify in the thank you?
  • Just thank for the gift itself.  Either way, it's in honor of your upcoming wedding.
  • Just an FYI, any gift you get before the wedding should be opened before the wedding and a TY note should be sent before the wedding as well.
  • Open it now, check to make sure it isn't broken or anything, and put it away until the wedding.  Send a thank you right away.  

You will probably get a lot of gifts between now and the wedding.  It doesn't matter if they are wedding gifts or for either of the showers.  You always open and inspect, send a thank you, and put them away.  
  • Open the gift now, but don't use it until after the wedding.  You would also send out a thank you card now for the gift. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it makes any difference whether it's meant to be a wedding or shower gift.  Just send a note thanking her for the coffeemaker.
    Married 10/2/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards