Just Engaged and Proposals

New ring tradition?

The other day I was telling my mom that Fi and I were throwing around the idea of an engagement ring for him. Nothing real official but a ring for him to wear on his right hand (his idea) and my mom said that she's heard of more and more people doing that now-a-days.

What do you think about a right hand ring for the guys?
Have you heard of this before?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New ring tradition?

• If the guy wants it, I don't see why not.

A friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend last year, and immediately afterwards they went out and bought him an engagement ring as well--it's a men's band, but didn't look like a traditional wedding ring, and he wore it on his left hand.  When they got married, he got another band for his left hand, and switched his engagement ring to his right hand.  His reasoning was that he was so excited to be engaged to her he wanted to have something to show people, too, and he wanted everyone to know he was "taken."

My FI wasn't interested in one, but I think it's a sweet idea if he wants one.  I'd never force one on a guy that didn't want it, though.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I've heard of it. It's becoming more and more common I think. Personally, it's NMS or FI's. We didn't do it. Although he's very eager to wear a band, he would rather wait on his wedding band. To each is own though. I'm not giving any dudes the side eye for wearing a ring.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • RaiKaiRaiKai member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    It seems to becoming a little more common.

I opted to forego an engagement ring altogether, and so neither of us will be wearing rings until the wedding day, however when we were discussing whether or not I wanted one, FI said he would like one too if I was to want one.

In some cultures, both will wear their "wedding" band on their right hand during the engagement, and switch it over to the left hand after they get married, and so on, so there are lots of different ways you can approach the ring "traditions".
  • I haven't heard of this actually happening but my Fiance said the same thing. He can't wait to wear his ring. I wouldn't go crazy budget wise since he won't wear two rings once you get married, but getting a small ring for him to wear to be as proud of being engaged as you are sounds great to me!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_new-ring-tradition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:a1a90179-ea0f-4744-93d3-6c6f81a84488Post:810c6b63-03f2-4c27-a007-31767732f4c6">Re: New ring tradition?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Although he's very eager to wear a band, he would rather wait on his wedding band. To each is own though. I'm not giving any dudes the side eye for wearing a ring.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. I know a lot of guys don't even wear their wedding rings full-time, so I'm excited FI really wants to. But we can wait for the wedding. That way I can spend more on his wedding ring!

I think there was a NY Times article about male engagement rings, though. It is more popular now.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • NMS, and not necessary. but i wouldn't judge it.
  • I didn't realize this was becoming a trend.  I thought of it for us and I'm a big fan of the idea.

I specifically told FI that if he expects me to wear a ring, he has to wear one, too.  To me, the girl being the only one to wear a ring kinda seems like the guy marking his territory.  Yuck.
  • I know a few guys with them.  I make fun of them.  Actually I wouldn't do that to someone's face, I'm meaner and do it behind their backs haha.  But their other guy friends RELENTLESSLY make fun of them for it.  I think it's super dorky.  But that's me.  If your FI wants it then I suppose that's fine.  I'm thankful that my FI agrees with my opinion.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • I think it's an awesome idea for men to have engagement rings of some sort!  It shows their devotion and planning for committment just the way it does for us as women.  Pick something that you both like, but HE has to wear it so he has final say.  I say, why not put it on the left hand, like the girls?!  It's something fun!   I love Lovethebeach16's idea of the ring saying "reserved" on it!   I also like what RaiKai brought up..wearing your bands on the right hand during the engagement and switching over to the left for the wedding.  
  • My man has a ring.  Its rather large and it spins. He said he wants a more formal one for the wedding. I don't think it looks like a wedding band, although people do mistake it for one at work sometimes.  But he loves having it.  I got it from overstock for like 13 bucks because I wasn't sure if he was even going to wear it.
  • I just asked my FI if he wanted a ring. Being the sweet guy he is responded,"Do you want me to have a ring?" So no he doesn't want one, but I think it is a cute idea.
  • My FI has one, he bought it himself because he wanted to show he was "taken."  It's just a stainless steel band, with a second ring on top that spins around.  We call it his "mangagement ring."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

• My FI actually offered to wear one because he also thinks "Why should you walk around for a year and a half with a symbol that you're taken and I don't?" We never ended up getting the ring, but he did want one. I thought it was so sweet that he wanted one though. We're 5 and 1/2 months away now so I don't think we'll end up getting him one since we're now looking at wedding bands for us.

This reminds me of the show "Boy Meets World". Cory wore an engagement ring while he was engaged to Topanga. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_new-ring-tradition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:a1a90179-ea0f-4744-93d3-6c6f81a84488Post:82c4407a-e33e-48c1-9f3f-9b005592cbfb">Re: New ring tradition?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In some cultures, both will wear their "wedding" band on their right hand during the engagement, and switch it over to the left hand after they get married, and so on, so there are lots of different ways you can approach the ring "traditions".
    Posted by RaiKai[/QUOTE]

This is true in Chile. We didn't rush out and pick wedding bands just so that FI could wear his, but once we do get them (hopefully soon!) he'll wear his on his right hand until the wedding itself. Since I'm from the US, I'm planning to save my wedding band until we get married because that's what I'm used to.
  • My Fi is Swedish and in Scandanavian tradition the guy gets his wedding band to wear on his right hand until the wedding then he would switch it to the left hand.  Traditionally the girl would also get a plain gold band to wear and a second one at the wedding. 
    We bought him a ring but my ring is traditional american engagement ring (with diamonds Smile).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_new-ring-tradition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:a1a90179-ea0f-4744-93d3-6c6f81a84488Post:9745995b-306a-4f4c-ba78-dc8ead5251d0">Re: New ring tradition?</a>:
    [QUOTE]After we got engaged FI commented how it doesnt make sense that a woman should wear a ring to show that she's taken but a man doesn't have to. I said "what you want a ring?" and he said "yeah and it should say Reserved on it." So I ordered him a simple silver band from JC Penney and had Reserved engraved on it. He wears it all of the time.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]

Lovethebeach...that is awesome!!

My FI and I didn't get an "engagement" ring for him, but a few years before he proposed, we found a Celtic knot band online that he liked that I bought for him that he's worn on his right hand since.  Not really the same, but it's still a ring I gave him that means a lot to him.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • FI proposed overseas without a ring, and we weren't planning on either of us having a ring until he wedding.  i was a little sad about it, as i LOVED the idea of the diamonds.  when a family member offered us a piece of jewellery containing 23 diamonds to use as we wished, both of us got excited!

I custom designed an e-ring for me that had 18 small diamonds on it, and FI designed one for himself with 5 diamonds.  he loves it, and wears it on his left ring finger, which is where i wear mine,  after a period of adjusting to wearing it (he's never worn jewellery before - not even a watch!), he never takes it off, and is very proud of having designed it and of wearing it as a sign of his committment to me.  at the wedding we'll use his grandfather's wedding band as his wedding ring, and afterwards he'll simply decide which ring to wear on a given day.  

i think a man's e-ring really is a beautiful new tradition that i'm all in favour of.  once engaged they're just as "taken" as we are, why not show it?

perhaps in future men will get thinner e-bands that they'll augment with a wedding band just as women do. 

if your FI is willing to do it, i say go for it!
  • I like this idea! Though I know FI will never go for it! but i cant wait until he gets home from work so I can ask him about it. I think its unfair that women have to show their taken while men dont. Its 2010 baby may the new year bring new traditions.. :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2009
    Mine felt it was "weird" than women got rings but men didn't. So I bought him his own engagement ring and gave it to him as an early Christmas present. It's a black steel band with a small cubic zirconia stone and he wears it on his left hand. He plans to switch it to his right hand on our wedding day to wear the wedding ring on his left hand.  I designed his wedding ring and had already received it from the caster before buying his engagement ring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When my fiance and I first started talking about getting engaged one of his first questions was if he got to wear a ring too.  We looked together and found a ring for him so when he proposed he had his ring too.  After I said yes to him I got down on one knee and proposed right back and it was definitely the best part of the proposal!  I loved being able to tell him everything that I had in my heart just like he had done.  He loves wearing the ring and we love telling our engagement story of both our proposals.
    BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For our anniversary (a few months before he proposed to me) I got him a ring (The Lord of the Rings One Ring lol)  as a 'promise ring' I put it on his right hand, but it was too tight there so he switched it to his left hand and he wears it every day! People ask him about his wife all the time Tongue out When we have the ceremony he will get a new ring (fancier, more traditional) but I know the ring he wears now will always mean a lot to him, he's thinking of putting it on a necklace chain.

• FI and I gave each other promise rings three years ago, and we've been wearing them on the middle fingers of our left hands.  His is just a plain gold band, so he decided he wants to get it resized for his ring finger and wear it as his engagement/wedding ring.
  • It's really popular! My brother wanted one when he got married, guys want to show off their commitment too! I think it's sweet =) In his case though, he was surprised when his cost so much less than his fiancee's!
  • i proposed to my man with a ring.he never takes it off and everyone at work thinks we're married,which is fine with me. im getting my ring soon too so we will both be wearing engagement rings.im going to buy him another band for the wedding day and he can take off the other one or switch it to the other hand :)
  • i'm a old traditional fogey and totally don't think its necessary.  i trust my man to gloat about the fact that he is take by the lady of his dreams.  plus, we've been together so long that everyone around us knows we are taken.

<a href="http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers&quot;&gt;&lt;img src="http://global.theknot.com/tools/tickers/tt559ff.aspx&quot; alt="Wedding Countdown Ticker" border="0"  /></a>

Pregnancy Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_new-ring-tradition?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:a1a90179-ea0f-4744-93d3-6c6f81a84488Post:810c6b63-03f2-4c27-a007-31767732f4c6">Re: New ring tradition?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard of it. It's becoming more and more common I think. Personally, it's NMS or FI's. We didn't do it. Although he's very eager to wear a band, he would rather wait on his wedding band. To each is own though. I'm not giving any dudes the side eye for wearing a ring.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Thats a very cute idea.  My FI commented about how he wanted an engagement ring, and its not fair that I get to wear one and he doesnt.  I might look into that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards