• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2010 Weddings

For girls who aren't having a religious ceremony

I know there's a few of you on here that wrote your own.  I wanted to know, how do you know how long your ceremony is/will be? I'm trying to figure out what time I should start my ceremony so I can have it on my invitations.  I can have it at either 4 or 4:30. If we start at 4:30 (which was my original plan) I'm afraid of going over because it will go into the cocktail hour and we won't get an time extended. If we start at 4 there is no way our ceremony will be an hour long. HELP!

Re: For girls who aren't having a religious ceremony

• edited June 2010
    I heard there is some weird suspicion that you should have your ceremony on the quarter hour?
      LIke at 4:15?

It says 5pm on my invites but I'm aiming for 5:15 start and not more than 30mins long.

Ofcourse I say this without any information about what our ceremony will entail.
    Ignorance is bliss.
    TTC since 2010
    Me: 36, slightly elevated FSH. Everything else (hysterescopy, HSG, b/w) normal.
    DH:30, with super sperm? >200mil post wash
    BFP #1 - May 2011 - m/c @ 8weeks
    IUI #1 - July 26 2012 - Femara = BFN
    Suprise BFP Jan 15 2013. Hope this one sticks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not having a religious ceremony.  Upon meeting with our officiant she gave us an outline of a ceremony that she wrote and an etimate time.  After reading through it I crossed out some of her readings and pasted some of mine in.  We're writing our own vows so we took hers out, and then we got to decide on some rituals that we thought might be nice.  I don't have another meeting with her until the end of June but i'm anticipating the ceremony will last about 20-30 mins, and on the invitation we put a start time for 3:00.  I wanted to make it for later but my wedding planner stressed that for time wise and figuring the ceremony never starts on time that I should make it earlier rather than later.  Maybe talk with the person who is marrying you and see if they have any suggestions about time and what you want incorporated into your ceremony. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would but the problem is our "officiant" is FI's best man. He has two roles lol. So everything is very unofficial. He got his license online so he can legally marry us but it's not like he's done it before and knows what he's doing.
  • In Response to Re: For girls who aren't having a religious ceremony:
    [QUOTE]I would but the problem is our "officiant" is FI's best man. He has two roles lol. So everything is very unofficial. He got his license online so he can legally marry us but it's not like he's done it before and knows what he's doing.
    Posted by Northstar1808[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ours is the same way, so I had t do it all myself.  I think ours is 20-25 minutes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I just ask our officiant and he said it will be about 15-20 mins. Now I am trying to decide on whether to have the reception start at 5:30 0r 6? Ceremony will be at 4 having cocktail hour after all in the same place.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah everything's at the same place. I think I'm just going to have it start at 4 or at least say that on the invitation. Start at 4:15. I figured if the ceremony is 20-25, then account for the BP to walk up and down the aisle, it'll be around 4:50 ish. People can just putz around for 10 mins. Plus if there's crying and stuff that will eat up time. I really don't want to cut into the cocktail hour. So if we end early it's better that way.
  • My officiant told me the ceremony would take 15-20 minutes.  The Site manager told me "Plan your wedding forr 5. It's going to start late anyway and your reception will be right on time at 6." 

My ceremony and reception are at the same place, but even so 10-15 minutes won't make a big difference either way.
    murrayed
  • Our "officiant" isn't actually an officiant either and has never done a wedding before...I planned our ceremony with just searching online and piecing together what I liked. I estimate it will last 15 minutes for ours with the bridal party entrance, officiant greeting, a reading, exchanging of our own vows/rings, announcement, and bridal exit.
  • I am not writing my own ceremony, but i did add a reading in. And were saying our own vows. Its probably only going to be about 15-20 minutes long.
    [url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]
  • In Response to Re: For girls who aren't having a religious ceremony:
    [QUOTE]Our "officiant" isn't actually an officiant either and has never done a wedding before...I planned our ceremony with just searching online and piecing together what I liked. I estimate it will last 15 minutes for ours with the bridal party entrance, officiant greeting, a reading, exchanging of our own vows/rings, announcement, and bridal exit.
    Posted by allis0nmarie[/QUOTE]

This is what we did, too, and ours will be about 15 minutes as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FWIW, I think a 15-minute ceremony sounds awesome.  We made ours a little longer to placate the people that are having a heart attack because it's not in a church, there will be no communion (the horrors!!!1!), and our officiant is probably going to be one of our rowdiest guests at the reception.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our ceremony time on invites is 5:30. We'll probably start at 5:35 or 5:40 and be done just shy of 6.

• We haven't planned our ceremony yet (yikes so behind!) but I'm planning on about 30 mins.  We're doing a bible reading, 1 military prayer, sand ceremony instead of unity candle, but non church wedding.  Our ceremony is at 4pm and our place insists that you start as close to on time as possible. 

We put on our invitations a 6pm reception time at x location with a 30 min drive in between.  I plan on doing a reception line even if it's not so traditional anymore because i have a lot of OOT guests I'd like to see even for 5 mins to say thanks for coming!

My hope is that guests will be smart enough to wait to check into the hotel or stop and grab a water or gas but who knows.  I'd say if there is a gap address it in the invites and just spread the word to avoid a long gap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards