Not Engaged Yet

kitty breed recs

i'm starting to do research on what might be a good breed of kitty for me. we live in an apartment, are moderately energetic and active and want a loving personable baby kitty. suggestions?

Re: kitty breed recs

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I love Ragdolls and Maine Coons, but I also think buying a pure-bred cat for a pet is pretty lame.  Go to your local animal shelter and look for one with the right personality.
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha...I was going to say Maine Coon too, but they are SO big! LOL! I would find a kitty at a shelter or rescue agencies that "speaks to me."
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would say think about whether you want a long or short haired cat, male or female, and then see who's at your local shelter or rescue groups.

I've always had female cats, and mostly short hairs as they are (usually) less prone to hairballs. Just find a kitty with a good personality. Breed doesn't always determine that.

Though I will say FI's coworker just got a Savannah cat, and while I think it's stupid that this guy paid thousands of dollars, she sure is an adorable kitty. (I also feel that the breeder wasn't very responsible selling to this guy.)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs. I have 2, and the breed doesn't matter, it's all about personality! And adopting is the way to go I think- you are saving a life! Just do some research on whether you want a long or short hair, male or female...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're fairly busy, you'll probably want a short hair who won't require grooming. 

We went to the shelter and found a couple really young kittens and fell in love with them. We have no idea what breed they are - they're just your typical domestic short hair. One is really social and outgoing, meanwhile the other one is a cuddle bug. We love them both dearly. 

Unless you're planning to breed, I don't see much point in getting a purebred cat. They're not like dogs where the breed is a huge determinant of...well...everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I want a Savannah.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    All of my sister's cats (she has had 5, currently she has 4) have been rescues, and while one had some underlying health issues that they didn't know about until a few months in, she has never had any trouble. The one with the underlying issues is actually almost 13 years old, so they haven't been too major.

There are so many animals in shelters, I completely agree with the PPs about adopting.
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • edited December 2011
    I can't remember the breed of cat my parents just got but he was also a shelter cat.  We've got all of our cats from our local animal shelter with the exception of my first kitten, we got him at a pet store down the street from our house.

I think the best thing is to go in and find one with a personality that matches you.

I have found that short haired cats are much easier to take care of, we had a long haired cat when I was younger and he required a lot of grooming.  We've also only had male cats so I can't give advice as to male vs. female.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_kitty-breed-recs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b9f6f601-d4ca-4e7a-8a68-da25172c2e1aPost:8b52d780-ace6-4f2e-9d88-abc9ccf8840d">Re: kitty breed recs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love Ragdolls and Maine Coons, but<strong> I also think buying a pure-bred cat for a pet is pretty lame.  Go to your local animal shelter and look for one with the right personality.</strong>
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>This! Please please consider rescuing.</div><div>
    </div><div>I thought I wanted a short-haired female, and ended up with a long-haired male (he's a Norwegian Forest mix). As soon as I picked him up, he started purring; he loved to be held and was very playful, which is just what I was looking for. He has seriously turned out to be the best, most low maintenance, loveable cat ever (and I've honestly never seen a hairball!).</div><div>
    </div><div>I guess what I'm saying is, personality is important than how a pet looks or what its pedigree is. Make sure you find the right fit for you, and I really hope you'll find it at a rescue!</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: There are a lot of rescues out there that are focused on a certain breed (my boss adopts all her cats from a Siamese rescue). So you still might be able to get the type of cat you want from a rescue, rather than a breeder.</div>
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes please go to a shelter, I've chosen cats based on personality versus breed.  Even though mine aren't I am fond of all black cats and black and white ones.

Anniversary

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You never know what you'll end up with. When I adopted Tabitha, I went in wanting an orange kitty and came home with a tabby. When I got Lucy, there weren't many kittens at the shelter (December is not prime kitten season). There were Lucy and her sister (two tortoiseshells) and a male white kitten. I went tortie because we'd had two torties previously, and I knew my dad liked them. Lucy was more outgoing than her sister, so she's the one we picked.

I do wonder what happened to Lucy's sister...or Tabitha's four brothers. Sometimes I wish you could opt-in to get in touch with your pet's siblings' owners.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks so much for the comments ladies. what awesome thoughts. i am going to go check out the shelters as soon as i can.

• edited December 2011
    I am totally anti-breeders and would recommend everyone go to a shelter. Most cats you'll find in a shelter are at least half domestic shorthair, which is the most common breed of house cats - they are friendly, lovable, and don't require much grooming. 
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should consider adopting from breed rescue if you're looking for something specific. Keep in mind though, regardless of what kind of breed you get, cats are kind of a gamble. Some turn out to be super affectionate and some turn out to be...not so affectionate. Also, almost every shelter I've been to has had a large variety to choose from. Unless you want something very exotic, like an Ocicat, I think you will stand a good chance of finding something you like at your local animal shelter.

I chose my first cat mainly based on looks instead of personality, and that did not go as well as it could have. I really wanted a gray tabby kitten. I have a soft spot for them, because all of my childhood cats were tabbies. I got him for free on Craigslist when he was 3 months old. He is really adorable, but he grew up to a be a jerk. He hates affection, and he will bite or run away if you pet him for more than 10 seconds.

For my second cat, I chose an adult cat who already had a developed personality. He came from the animal rescue I work at, and he had been fostered. He's basically a lap cat. His pattern isn't something I would typically gravitate towards, but it's very nice to finally have a cat that doesn't bite me when I pet him.
  • edited December 2011
    www.petfinder.com an amazing resource for adopting.
  • lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shelter cats FTW!!! BF and I have a long haired black kitty, Chibi, and a short haired gray tiger striped, Maddie, from our local shelter. Chibi was 6 wks old when we got her and was fostered; Maddie was 7 months old and had been hit by a car before coming to the shelter. She almost lost a back leg, but a local vet donated the surgery to save it. We picked both on personality and they are both wonderful cats. Please Please Please go to a shelter, there are so many good kitties out there that need a home :)

Oh- side note, BF tots wants a Savannah naxt. I think its silly to spend that kind of money on a cat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love Maine Coons! I want one so bad!!!
  • edited December 2011
    you guys are making me want to run to a shelter right now! thanks for all the wonderful advice ladies :)
  • Allisonesq77Allisonesq77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all the Maine Coon posters. I've got one, I don't think he's pure bred because I got him at the local animal shelter but he's definitely a large chunk Maine. He's big but he's SO fluffy and sweet. He acts more like a dog than a cat sometimes. When we're outside doing stuff he follows us around and just wants to be close to us. I was lucky, he came in to the shelter the day before I went to look and I asked the woman if I could put a "hold" on him for a couple days while I discussed it with my BF. She agreed and told me later that if I hadn't asked for the hold he would have been adopted many times over! :)

Captain Stinkleton: Decorated for Christmas. Hatin' it;)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else about shelter kitties, it is true that all manner of cats can be found at them. (I spend a lot of time on pet forums and I'm a real animal lover, though I haven't really talked about that on here). I've participated in the pet rescue/selection process a few times. I helped my mom rescue a beautiful Persian cat from a southern animal shelter where you basically pay the fee and leave with the pet. The poor kitty was starving and underweight, but is now happy and healthy. (She did not like the shelter food and was very stressed by the environment). I, myself, have a nearly 3 yr old tuxedo cat named Audrey (she kind of looks like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany's, it's hard to explain but she does). She was also a shelter rescue and while she does have a few issues, I am so glad to have her.

I guess that all that I'll add is that you shouldn't rule out older cats, it's a cliche but while kittens are mega-adorable, you know more of what you are getting with an older cat (a 2 yr old cat is considered old but will live for many years, yet many sit in the shelter for a long time). I wanted a cat who would be very cuddly and who would never scratch me and I found that in Audrey. Since she wasn't a kitten, I knew that she wouldn't grow out of it.

That said, I think that any time an animal gets a good home, it's a wonderful thing, however it happens. It's kind of like human love, there are many ways to fall in love, but the fact that it has happened is the beautiful thing. (I'm not advocating puppy mills or pet shops though!). Good luck with your search.
    Daisypath Friendship tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards