Christian Weddings

Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?

For you married Christian couples out there, is there any Bible studies you would reccomend for newlyweds? My fiance & I are not going to be going throught pre-marital counseling for several reasons but we do want to start our marriage off putting Christ first. We would apprceiate any recommendations. 
Anniversary Visit The Nest!

Re: Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_newlywed-bible-study-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:88530b0b-fe7b-4273-a948-cdf820bacbecPost:ef3524c3-6bc0-48f1-a9c1-bb39443d356d">Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For you married Christian couples out there, is there any Bible studies you would reccomend for newlyweds? My fiance & I are not going to be going <strong>throught pre-marital counseling for several reasons</strong> but we do want to start our marriage off putting Christ first. We would apprceiate any recommendations. 
    Posted by kristea0337[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you mind if I ask why not? </div><div>
    </div><div>I know of several books that are great for getting ready for marriage, but I'm not sure of Bible studies. I'm sure someone around here would know though!</div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • If you are into Mars Hill (mark driscoll), there are a couple of his sermon series that deal with marraige that are worth watching (you can watch them online i just googled it and found it) There is on one the song of soloman and theres a new one on godly marraiges thats just started recently.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• I don't know of any Bible Studies, but H and I read sooooo many books about marriage by Christian authors before our wedding.  We also went through a pre-marital class with another couple and absolutely loved it.  I HIGHLY recommend pre-marital counseling or a small group study with other engaged couples, led by a married couple.

Here are some of our favorites:

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
    Men are Like Waffles, Women are Like Spaghetti by Bill and Pam Farrel
    Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts by Les & Leslie Parrott (our formal pre-marital curriculum)
    For Women Only
    For Men Only
    For Couples Only, all by Shaunti Feldhahn
    Boundaries in Marriage by Henry Cloud

There are so many more, but we thought those were great.  Good luck!!

• edited January 2012

I read Sheet Music before the wedding.  DH and I read For Men Only and For Women Only, respectively, as a part of our premarital counseling.  We are looking for a new study as well.  One thing we did last year was read the NT portion of a 1-year Bible together.  We also copied Emily's idea and read the 150 Psalms backwards as a countdown to the wedding (with 23 days left we read Psalm 23, etc.).  So we read the whole NT and Psalms together as a couple in one year.

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_newlywed-bible-study-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:88530b0b-fe7b-4273-a948-cdf820bacbecPost:741ef420-5e60-4786-a2b9-a33d7014f206">Re: Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are looking for a new study as well.  
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Right now, we're reading Night Lights by James Dobson every night.  We really like it.  They're short, but the questions really get us talking about a lot of stuff, and every week focuses on a different topic (Encouragement, Finances, How you were raised, etc).  Some of the questions ask about parenting or, "How is _____ different now than when you were first married," so we're looking forward to going through it again in a few years when we can answer those.  :)</div><div>
    </div><div>We also have the Sacred Marriage devotional, but it's once a week and more in-depth, so we're going to start that when we finish Night Lights

</div>
  • For various reasons, we were also unable to do a formal premarital counseling as well (long distance relationship, sudden issues with pastors, etc), but we assigned ourselves chapters of Sacred Marriage, which we would then discuss on the phone.  We really really liked this book.  It was a bit more in-depth than most other books we were looking at--really designed for married people.  This was quite helpful, as we'd been dating for ~7 years and had had all the discussions most other books suggested.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Read the 5 Love Language Book... and any other book by mark chapman my bf and I really like him . We have tried a few others but they just do not work as well for us as Mark Chapman does.
    Love is All You Need
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_newlywed-bible-study-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:88530b0b-fe7b-4273-a948-cdf820bacbecPost:10932bce-b81b-43e1-9ce0-473447f20096">Re: Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations? : <strong>Do you mind if I ask why not?</strong>  I know of several books that are great for getting ready for marriage, but I'm not sure of Bible studies. I'm sure someone around here would know though!
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

<div>No, I don't mind you asking. :) There are several reasons. (1) We far enough away from each other that we can only see each other on the weekends & with gas prices, it isn't financially wise to travel much. (2) We haven't really found the time. (3) We do not have a home church as of yet & haven't been able to find someone we are comfortable with & believe is sound doctrinly & theologicaly. (4) Our parents support us in this. They believe we have discussed everything that would be discussed in formal counseling. (5) We have completed Bible studies directed at dating couples & feel we have covered all the basics. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_newlywed-bible-study-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:88530b0b-fe7b-4273-a948-cdf820bacbecPost:42eb223e-b24d-40aa-9083-9403b0c4d094">Re: Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are into Mars Hill (mark driscoll), there are a couple of his sermon series that deal with marraige that are worth watching (you can watch them online i just googled it and found it) There is on one the song of soloman and theres a new one on godly marraiges thats just started recently.
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks for the recommendation but I am not a fan of Mark Driscoll. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_newlywed-bible-study-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:88530b0b-fe7b-4273-a948-cdf820bacbecPost:82b60fb7-d471-44be-9283-e4a3e9d0aa6c">Re: Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newlywed Bible Study Recommendations? : Right now, we're reading Night Lights by James Dobson every night.
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the recommendation. My FMIL got us Night Lights as part of our wedding present. I can't wait to get started on it. :D</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards