Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)

I've read a lot of posts on this board regarding views and opinions on last name changes.  I think that everyone has excellent points on why they do/don't change their name to their new husband's.  I made the decision long ago that I don't want to change my last name and it's not a favorable decision with my FI.

I guess FI always assumed that when we got married that I'd change my last name.  About 6 months ago I brought up the topic because I realized we had never talked about it and I knew that I didn't want to take his name.  The topic has been brought up several times since then and the discussion never ends well.  FI doesn't want to listen to my reasoning and ends up cutting me off and saying something like, "You just don't want to be a conformist."  And when I will further entreat him to discuss it he just says he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.  It's really strange to me because he doesn't act like this about any other major issues (money, our future kids, etc.).  We've never had any major communication issues and frankly it's really upsetting that he won't hear me out on it.

So some of my reasons for not taking his last name:

- I think taking a husband's last name is a carryover from when we were a patriarchal society.  I'm not a raging feminist by any means but it just doesn't settle well with me.  Really, a lot of the traditions around weddings don't settle with me well.  That may be because I didn't come from a traditional family unit and didn't have a strong male presence in my life (my relationship with my father is strained).  I understand the hypocrisy in keeping my maiden name considering that it was given to me by another man, my father, but to me it still feels like MY name.

- To me my name represents a part of my identity.  I have been a very independent person since the age of 18.  I've worked my way through college and have always supported myself.  I even helped support FI for a year when he was having some job/money issues.  I plan on pursuing my PhD and always wanted to publish research with my name on it, considering that my past degrees are in my current name.

- My FI changed his name while we were dating to his father's last name.  Before he had his mother's last name and I knew him for years as that name.  I really don't want his father's last name.  He didn't help raise FI and is still very distant.  I respect the fact that he is FI's father and I encourage FI to have a good relationship with him but I'm also the one who is always there to help FI when his father falls short (which is often).

Our wedding is fast approaching (May 28) and in the past week the discussion was brought up again and my FI was really upset about it.  I received some monogrammed wine glasses at a bridal shower that had his last name initial on them and when he saw them he made some snide remark about how pointless the gift was considering that I am not taking his last name.  I just let it blow over and didn't respond.   

I love my FI and I am willing to compromise on a lot of things for the sake of our relationship.  But even he has admitted that a name doesn't carry a lot of meaning (that was his reasoning for why it was so easy to change his name to his father's even though they don't have a great relationship) so I am really confused as to why he has taken such issue with my decision.  He told me that we should have the same last name as a sign of unity.  I then areed to hyphenate my name to MaidenName-NewName if he would hyphenate his to MyMaidenName-HisName and he not-so-kindly said "Heck no!"  I don't see the unity or equality in a marriage where I am expected to give up my name and he won't budge at all?

I guess this post was mainly a vent because I already made my decision to not change my name.  I am just wondering if anyone else has met resistance with their FI on a name change and how they handled it?

Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)

• Options
    Oh, yes. I had a similar issue - except my FI knew all along that I didn't want to change my name (even years before we were engaged.) He says when we got engaged, it suddenly became an issue for him. I was actually very hurt to realize that he was mad at me for something I'd always been really honest about. Of course, he was very hurt that I didn't want to take his name. We had a lot of fights that ended in tears over this. It was just a bad situation.

Anyway, it took time. I tried really hard to stick to my guns, while at the same time being very sensitive to his feelings. I told him I understood that there's a lot of societal pressure on men - the stupid idea that if a woman doesn't take her husband's name then she doesn't really love him or he isn't strong enough or she isn't commited to him. Bullsh*t. I think he finally started to realize that our marriage would be just as stong and meaningful even without me changing my name. He still wants me to, but I think he's also found some pride in respecting my wishes.

One idea he really liked was me adding his last name as a second middle name. Which I might do. I might also hyphenate. I didn't want to at first because it's not very pretty, but now I kinda like that it's an outward sign of my commitment to myself AND my husband. Which I think is cool. Or I might not change anything. The one piece of advice I received that is REALLY comforting is to remember that you don't have to decide now. Don't feel pressured by a looming wedding date. You can always change your name later on, if you want to.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011

My FI assumed I would take his name (which is strange b/c I'm a big feminist) and he was a little hurt. But got over it. (Nothing at all the reaction like you posted).

Does your FI always react this badly when he doesn't win? From his reaction it sounds like he is used to getting his way or mostly his way. He sounds like a sore loser. (I'm not trying to be mean, that is just how I read it).

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    redheadfsu - He is acting like a sore loser (not mean at all)!  He is a very compassionate and understanding person which is why his reaction has caught me totally off guard.  He can be a bit hot tempered at times but that's usually regarding very inconsequential things that just irritate him (like our messy bedroom or really bad traffic), not over big issue life/marriage type things.

MsLaura31 - Thanks for the reassurance!  I will have to remind myself that I do have time.  I had considered hyphenating.  I do think that his reaction has a lot to do with the societal pressures around a man's role in marriage.  I think he's afraid of how his family and friends will react when they find out that I didn't take his name.  I also feel like he's projecting some of his insecurity/anger over the connection he has to his name (because of the strained relationship with his father) on me, but I'm no psychiatrist :)

One thing I forgot to mention in my OP that complicates things even more is that FI and I have been taking care of my 2 year old nephew for 17 months now.  He's pretty much like our own child. We now have permanent custody of him.  And the nephew has my maiden name.  That was another motivation for me to keep my last name, so nephew doesnt have a different name than his surrogtate parents.  We can't adopt nephew currently (because his biological parents won't relinquish parental rights) so we can't change his name to FI's even if I wanted to. 
  • Options
    This may be a stupid question, so if it is I apologize, but why does your FI WANT you to take his last name? Is he really traditional, or is he concerned about having kids and you not having the same last name as them, or something else. I'm curious. I think your reasons for not changing your name are perfectly reasonable and I agree with them. I am not changing my name either, for a number of reasons, but mostly exactly what YOUR first reason was. I am considering hyphenating my name I better decide soon though, my wedding is in July!), I am weighing the options, because depending on what career field you go into, it could end up being a pain in the butt. Either way, this is a very personal desicion, and I respect your reasons. (And not just bc I agree, I think your reasons make sense) I hope that your FI will too. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    theluckiest555 - When FI and I have discussed the topic and I've asked him why it is so important for me to change my name he says it's because he thinks that marriage is representative of a union and that when two people come together in a union then they should share all things - income, a household, and a name.  When I ask why, then if it's a UNION, we don't just combine names or take the same hyphenated MyName-HisName he says that he won't do it because the tradition is for the wife to take the husband's name.  That leads us back to me saying that I don't just want to engage in a tradition that I don't agree with and he calls me a non-conformist.  

We haven't even discussed what we will do when we have kids but I'm assuming he wants them to have his last name which I'm also not okay with.  If I raise them, I want my name in there too! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:f1ee3188-95d0-46da-96c3-b06848bebb7e">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE] One thing I forgot to mention in my OP that complicates things even more is that FI and I have been taking care of my 2 year old nephew for 17 months now.  He's pretty much like our own child. We now have permanent custody of him.  And the nephew has my maiden nam e.  That was another motivation for me to keep my last name, so nephew doesnt have a different name than his surrogtate parents.  We can't adopt nephew currently (because his biological parents won't relinquish parental rights) so we can't change his name to FI's even if I wanted to. 
    Posted by emmmbeee[/QUOTE]

I think it's great that you're caring for your nephew. That's something to be proud of. And also a very compelling reason to keep your name.

The one thing I forgot to mention was that I was very disappointed that I couldn't make FI want for me to keep my name. So I often brought the conversation up in order to try to convince him I was right. I wish I hadn't pushed it as often as I did. He can't force me to change my name (and he wasn't trying to), but I can't force him to be happy about it either. He was trying to let it go, and I should have been respectful of that.
  • Options
    mslaura- I really love your photo!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:ee9a4154-3c3e-4f83-be97-77e68def0ace">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]mslaura- I really love your photo!!
    Posted by theluckiest555[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks! I really love my <a href="http://www.kandsphoto.net/index2.php#/home/">photog</a>!  <--Clicky!
  • Options
    Fortunately I did not encounter resistence from my now-husband, but I agree with all the points you made about not changing your name. Those reasons, and more, are why I kept my last name.

However, I wanted to combine out last names into 1 last name for any future children (think O'Brien+Smith = O'Smith, but better). H is not okay with that. As a compromise we'll likely give them my last name as a second middle (my H has his mother's maiden name as a second middle). I decided in the end that I was keeping my last name for ME because it's my name. And while my kids will be 50% MY DNA, I will compromise on the name. And perhaps have final say on the first names!

At this point, I would likely just wait it out. He seems to get really defensive when you bring it up, so wait until he approaches you calmly about it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I totally agree with you. Don't change it.

I think he is being really unfair and in time he might be able to see that too. I mean there is no good reason why you would have to hyphenate your name but he would be unwilling to do the same. If he is usually a great guy then I am sure that he will come around and even if he never loves it he might be ok with it.

I am so sorry this is causing a problem for you. I would make sure though that you are on the same page redarding the future children's names. It makes me so angry when a man insists on the children having only his name. (he's not exactly the one giving birth)

SO, you might not want to discuss this stuff anymore but you need to get that children discussion out of the way long before the children are on their way.

• Options
    I am changing my name, and I personally don't agree with your points and see his point of view.  That being said, he should compromise, because thats how life works.  If you two can't talk about how it makes you feel more in depth than that is a problem.  It sounds like your having a circular argument and thats never helpful.  Maybe if you try talking about it in a different way?  Try to understand where he is coming from?  Try to express yourself differently?  This isn't the kind of problem that will just go away, he is being unreasonably stubborn and your not communicating well. 
  • Options
    OP, thank you for writing this.  I feel like I could have written your post verbatim (except my wedding is still about a year away)...your rationale for wanting to keep your name, your FI's rationale for wanting you to take his, everything.  I'm also frustrated because even my own family (BOTH of my parents!) are giving me shiz for wanting to keep my name, and really, any friend or family member that I've told about it has disparaged the idea in some way.  It's begun to upset me so much that I thought, "Maybe I should just change it to be agreeable."  

However, it gives me some strength to see your resolve in this matter and know that you're sticking to your guns, even though you're getting the same nonsense rationale from your FI (no offense) as I am from mine.  The idea of changing my name would make me sadder than keeping it and having to deal with disappointment of FI/other family members, I think, so as long as I feel that way, I'm going to stick to what makes me happy.

PS- I also tried the "Let's both do MyMaiden-YourLast" on the FI, and got the SAME response- "Heck no!"  
  • Options

Personally, I have always planned on taking my FI's name and I am quite excited about it. We're both pretty traditional people though. That being said, I think you have valid points for wanting to keep your own name. I agree with PPs about waiting a little while before confronting him about this again. Hopefully he will come to you about it with a new perspective and be willing to calmly and rationally talk about it until a compromise of some kind is reached that makes both of you okay with it.

Good luck!

• Options
    First I want to say that I completely understand why you want to keep your name and I agree with you. I am sorry that your fiancee is not more understanding and that you are fighting over it. I have struggled a lot with the name change topic. My fiancee is super supportive and is perfectly fine with me keeping my last name if that is what I decide. I just can't decide. I suggested that we come up with a new last name together cause a part of me wants us to have the same last name but I am not sure he'll go for that :o)  My last name is such a big part of me. I am swedish but I live in the states and I am marrying an american. I love my swedish last name and I am not sure I can give it up. We might compromise and hyphenate our names. I definitely want our children to have the same last name as both their parents. It's a super hard decision. I hope it works out for you!
  • Options
    Here's another one that you have pretty much written whats been going on in my houes for the past few months.

Right down to the heck no for hyphenating both our names. lol

If its that important to you stick to your guns. He'll get over it.

The one thing I did give on with my FI is that any children will have his last name, which seemed to help everything blow over. If that is something you'd be comfortable with perhaps it would be an option to make things easier for your FI.

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Options
    If it's just tradition... SO many women are keeping their own last names that it was in Season 2 of How I Met Your Mother, where Lily kept her last name when she married Marshall. Sure, that's just on TV, but television often reflects what's going on in our culture, and it's no longer thought of as 'weird' in most places if the woman doesn't take her husband's last name.

So if it's just tradition that's getting to him, then he needs to let that go, cuz it doesn't sound like he has an actual valid reason. And you're not being nonconformist, you're actually conforming to a newer norm.
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:5e000dba-f5a7-4396-af2c-a2d2f07b6ba4">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am changing my name, and I personally don't agree with your points and see his point of view.  That being said, he should compromise, because thats how life works.  If you two can't talk about how it makes you feel more in depth than that is a problem.  It sounds like your having a circular argument and thats never helpful.  Maybe if you try talking about it in a different way?  Try to understand where he is coming from?  Try to express yourself differently?  This isn't the kind of problem that will just go away, he is being unreasonably stubborn and your not communicating well. 
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  I don't personally share your centiments for wanting to keep your last name, but I do see them as valid arguements for people who do feel that way, and regardless, it's your name and your decision.

I can sort of see where your FI is coming from, but I think he's expressing himself wrong here.  I think many people are raised with the 'nuclear' family ideal (Dad, mom, 2.5 kids, etc) and I think it might be hard for him to accept that it's going to be a little bit different for you guys.  Most importantly, I think his perception isn't what <em>he</em> thinks about you keeping your name, but it sounds like he's worried what <em>other</em> people will think about it.

Perhaps you can try again (maybe let him cool down first) and start talking about his issues with it first, rather than your reasons.  Ask him why that tradition is so important to him, is he concerned with how other people will view your family, is he concerned about your commitment, etc.  Once you get to the issue of <em>why</em> he's so against it, it might be easier to bring up your reasoning as counterarguments to each of his concerns.  You also need to reitterate that no matter how he feels about it, you are being firm and aren't going to change your mind, but that you are willing to compromise because you do want him to be content with your situation, you can also let him know that you don't need to come to an agreement before the wedding either, you can change your name (or not, obviously) at any point after the wedding (this is just so he doesn't feel rushed to accept that you aren't changing it).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am keeping my last name when I marry my FI. He knew prior to us dating that I always planned to keep my last name when I got married, but after we got engaged he assumed I would take his. He was upset at first, but got over it quickly. He still wishes I would take his last name but he really respects my decision to keep mine. Why ask me to do something he wouldn't do? Our children will have both of our last names hyphenated. 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @lsvensson - Stay strong (haha)!  I am also getting weird/negative reactions from my family and friends.  My mother scolded me for it and my sisters told me they thought it was weird and that I should take his name.  (But that's coming from a mother that has kept her ex-husband's name even though they've been divorced for 18 years). No one in FI's family aside from his sister know I'm not taking his name and when she found out she just gave me a really disgusted face and made no comment.

I really wish that I wanted to take his name and that I was excited about the prospect but it just seems so foreign to me. 

Thanks everyone for your responses - I really appreciate it!  I'll definitely use some of the tactics you suggested next time the topic is brought up.  In the end, no matter what my name ends up being, I'll still be married to my best friend and that's all that really matters!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:8a174037-9137-4400-b00c-b49122446b9f">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]First I want to say that I completely understand why you want to keep your name and I agree with you. I am sorry that your fiancee is not more understanding and that you are fighting over it. I have struggled a lot with the name change topic. My fiancee is super supportive and is perfectly fine with me keeping my last name if that is what I decide. I just can't decide. I suggested that we come up with a new last name together cause a part of me wants us to have the same last name but I am not sure he'll go for that :o)  My last name is such a big part of me. I am swedish but I live in the states and I am marrying an american. I love my swedish last name and I am not sure I can give it up. We might compromise and hyphenate our names. I definitely want our children to have the same last name as both their parents. It's a super hard decision. I hope it works out for you!
    Posted by novaofsweden[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. And it kind of upsets me that women struggle so much over this decision when I can promise that at least 95% of guys really never even think about it. Ugh. I decided over 10 years ago that I wouldn't want to change my last name any more than I'd want to change my first name, but I still struggled with my decision during my engagement. Good luck.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    in the end I was the one that compromised. my maiden name after i get married will be my middle name
    TTC since December '11 -- stopped BC
    No cycle for 3 months
    Diagnosed PCOS/anovulatory in March '12 and started Clomid 100 mg
    2 cycles of Clomid 100 mg - nothing
    1 cycle of Clomid 150 mg - nothing but thinned lining
    1 cycle of Femara - nothing
    Started Gonal-F + Ovidrel + TI 6/28/12 -- BFN
    Started Follistim + Ovidrel + TI 8/1/12 -- Fingers crossed
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:499f5898-cc9d-440d-aa3a-b841a6123c7b">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it's just tradition... SO many women are keeping their own last names that it was in Season 2 of How I Met Your Mother, where Lily kept her last name when she married Marshall. Sure, that's just on TV, but television often reflects what's going on in our culture, and it's no longer thought of as 'weird' in most places if the woman doesn't take her husband's last name. So if it's just tradition that's getting to him, then he needs to let that go, cuz it doesn't sound like he has an actual valid reason. And you're not being nonconformist, you're actually conforming to a newer norm.
    Posted by LoveMuffins[/QUOTE]

While it is getting more common its still not a majority.  According to a Harvard study 87% of collage educated women take their husbands names. 

Not that it matters at all, just something I found surprising and interesting. 
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:cbb4c2c0-c428-4ba2-b97e-924ba630e667">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long) : While it is getting more common its still not a majority.  According to a Harvard study 87% of collage educated women take their husbands names.  Not that it matters at all, just something I found surprising and interesting. 
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

There us actually a recent study that suggests some negative things to changing your name. It's not Harvard that I am aware of so to be perfectly honest it may not relate as much to the US as that one would. I read it in a newspaper recently. (I'll have to find it)  It did state that women who kept their name make more money on average than those who didn't and that they are perceived as more intelligent. (which would say more about those in the study and their bias) It said on average those who kept their name made less money, had less education and were more conservative.

I know women both educated and not as educated who fall into both categories so in all honesty I don't think the studies can tell us everything.  I think we all just need to do what is right for us. I have never understood why some guys get so upset about it considering they aren't losing anything. Many women in my family have kept their names and are happy to have done so.

EDITED
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I think, that if your FI's response to you sticking with your choice not to change your name, you might want to remind him that he fell in love with you, among several reasons, because you are not a conformist.  That might elicit enough of a smile to thaw the ice.  Good luck!

BTW, I kept my name the first time I got married.  I have no idea what I'll do this time around, but there is no rush.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:44be2e14-664c-41dc-ba01-8f54d931974f">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long) : There us actually a recent study that suggests some negative things to changing your name. It's not Harvard that I am aware of so to be perfectly honest it may not relate as much to the US as that one would. I read it in a newspaper recently. (I'll have to find it)  It did state that women who kept their name make more money on average than those who didn't and that they are perceived as more intelligent. (which would say more about those in the study and their bias) It said on average those who kept their name made less money, had less education and were more conservative. I know women both educated and not as educated who fall into both categories so in all honesty I don't think the studies can tell us everything.  I think we all just need to do what is right for us. I have never understood why some guys get so upset about it considering they aren't losing anything. Many women in my family have kept their names and are happy to have done so. EDITED
    Posted by blush64[/QUOTE]

<div>There could be a lot of reasons for that - women who keep their name may be less traditional, and therefore less likely to give up a career to stay home with children, so they make more money long-term. Or, they may just be more career-oriented in general. Just two possible reasons, though!</div><div>
    </div><div>My FI is one that got upset when I mentioned keeping my name. I'm still not sold on changing it. He actually said he'd feel less married, which caused a fight because I thought it was so ridiculous. I go back and forth about it - some days I want to, other days, it bothers me that my name won't match the one on my law degree if I change it. I worked hard for that degree, darnit! haha.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:8dc4540c-f449-4ee1-8c2d-05e9f4de21ed">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]you can also let him know that you don't need to come to an agreement before the wedding either
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

I think I would disagree with this one.  I have actually seen couples split on this issue.  I would make sure it's settled before the wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:f1ca1612-fb03-4024-acfd-cd5c89c435a0">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long) : I think I would disagree with this one.  I have actually seen couples split on this issue.  I would make sure it's settled before the wedding.
    Posted by jtmh2012[/QUOTE]

That's really sad that two people who loved each other enough to get married would split over something so miniscule. :(
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:300c280b-c32a-458e-be7f-d5d9089ca011">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long) : That's really sad that two people who loved each other enough to get married would split over something so miniscule. :(
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

It's not as miniscule as you think. Especially with women. It's their identity. As more women are getting married later in life, they've established roots that is associated with their name. Degrees, businesses, career are all linked to that name. They meet their FH and suddenly they have to change their last name to his because it's the norm? Yeah it's the norm, for those 18-24, and even a little later on. But if you're in your 30s, you're pretty well established in your name. It's your identity and just because one is getting married doesn't mean she has to just throw her name out the window. Even hyphenating. It's like what the others said, if he won't do it, why are we expected to?

I didn't change my name. I love my name and my name with H's last name doesn't sound right so I never bothered to change it. His family doesn't know, I still get grief from my parents and my friends keep forgetting that I'm married lol. Should I change it, do I really want to spend the $400 it would cost to change it? Heck no!
  • Options
    $400 to change it?  Where do you live that it costs that much? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_last-name-change-fi-upset-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:419de21c-0d77-40b1-81ea-3e5f5f6ecfc5Post:26a0ae96-fc95-4356-9eca-7ff5d30ed910">Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last Name Change - FI Upset (long) : It's not as miniscule as you think. Especially with women. It's their identity. As more women are getting married later in life, they've established roots that is associated with their name. Degrees, businesses, career are all linked to that name. They meet their FH and suddenly they have to change their last name to his because it's the norm? Yeah it's the norm, for those 18-24, and even a little later on. But if you're in your 30s, you're pretty well established in your name. It's your identity and just because one is getting married doesn't mean she has to just throw her name out the window. Even hyphenating. It's like what the others said, if he won't do it, why are we expected to?   I didn't change my name. I love my name and my name with H's last name doesn't sound right so I never bothered to change it. His family doesn't know, I still get grief from my parents and my friends keep forgetting that I'm married lol. Should I change it, do I really want to spend the $400 it would cost to change it? Heck no!
    Posted by simplyinpenguin[/QUOTE]

I understand completely about how it is even more of your identity as one gets older, I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did. I just think that two people who love each other should be able to come to an understanding about it, even if they don't like what the other has chosen. That's where I feel like it shouldn't be such a big thing that people breakup/get divorced. I know it's a valid huge issue and I respect people no matter which choice they make on the matter. It's their name, afterall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards