Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

If money were of no object...

...what food would you splurge on for your reception?

I totally would have had a sushi bar, with a chef there doing his thing.

Re: If money were of no object...

• UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A really extensive selection of really good Italian pastries...yummmmmm!  They're my favorite!
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually I'm very happy with the food that I'm getting. I don't think I'd add anything or take anything away from what I'm already doing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would have a full seated (multiple course) dinner!  But alas...I'm a budget girl...so its a BBQ buffet!  LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 99 Invited!
    image 45 Are Psyched!
    image 5 Are L0$3RZ
    image 49 Are MIA!
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are doing a buffet, but if money were NO object, I'd have

-surf & turf, served with perfect sauces, with sides of potato & veggie
    -a seafood bar with shrimp the size of my fist, crab cakes
    -a carving station with beef tenderloin
    -dessert bar with creme brulee, chocolate mousse, key lime pie in small individual serving glasses; french pastries;
    - French champagne for toasting
    - a bar with a full liquor selection including a signature drink, liqueurs, the best wines & beers of the world

You know, the kind of stuff they have on "Platinum Weddings". Alas, I was not born into wealth, nor have I won the lottery.

Thanks for letting me dream.

• edited December 2011
    we might do a sit down dinner.. but i really like the idea of a buffet  so i'm not sure
    we're picking basically whatever we want already from wegmans & they deliver it to our venue like 5 mins away.  we're having mostly italian food with some asian & sushi yumm!
    we go to this sushi restaurant like more than once a week & they love us so they're giving us a great deal..
    i think i'm pretty happy with what we have. 
    there is a nother wonderful place that caters but it's 10k so maybe i would consider that one
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would have my favorite Cuban restaurant and Mexican restaurant in California, fly out their cooks and have them cater my event.  Yes, it is that good.
  • edited December 2011
    I would keep the buffet because seated meals are a little too "stiff and formal" for me.  But having something like surf and turf, or a sushi buffet, or having asian stations with different dumplings and stuff.  We both love ethnic foods, and love to eat dim sum on cold winter mornings.  I would also add premium beers, and wines, as well as an extra signature drink or two.  Thanks for letting us dream, now I wish we had the budget for all this. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would have New England themed foods incorporated, like clam chowder shooters, a raw bar, etc.  I would have all the aps passed and then dinner I would probably to a seated meal of delicious but elegant comfort food--homemade mac and cheese with truffles and VT cheddar, a Yankee Pot Roast maybe, and Shepard's Pie or something fun. 
  • cassandrancassandran member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

edible arrangements bouquets ... fruit bouquets!

• cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Choice of prime rib, walleye, and chicken (because I know one of my BMs doesn't like steak or fish - which I find a bit strange).

I would have a signiture cocktail, and a signiture mcoktail (because I am sober).  I hope we can still do the mocktail - ginger ale and pomegranite juice is awesome!
  • cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and we would have the best passed and stationed hor d'oerves - depending on what we can afford.
  • edited December 2011
    i'd still keep it as a buffet but  i'd add some seafood at a separate station (lots of seafood allergies in my family)
  • edited December 2011
    I would have ordered mini-black and white cookies from zabar's instead of making them.  It was fun to make them, and people thought it was a cute nod to our NYC engagement, but that would've been one less thing to mess with the week of the wedding.  I think we'd have also expanded the bar to more beers, cocktails.  but I was pretty happy with our food!
    imageimage
  • ashbash10ashbash10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ah Wegmans! I used to be from Upstate NY they are the best grocery store EVER with really good Italian food! If money was no object I would have Wegmans deviler to me in FL :D then all my Italian family would have a taste of "home"
  • edited December 2011
    Mmm, I'm definitely drooling here!
  • edited December 2011
    I love this post because my fiancé and I have actually asked each other this question! 

If we had unlimited funds we would have...
    Tazmanian lobster - served at Prime Steakhouse in The Bellagio
    Filet mignon with rosemary garnish - served at Oceancliff in Newport, RI
    Bacon wrapped scallops - served at Fix in the Bellagio
    Rack of lamb - served at Corso 98 in Montclair, NJ
    Drunken pasta - also served at Corso 98 in Montclair, NJ
    ... this list could go on and on but those are the highlights

Basically, we're huge foodies/fat kids extraordinaire and if we could we would have all of those foods brought in just for the wedding!  We are getting married at Highlawn Pavilion in New Jersey and hear that the food is really good.  It's still fun to dream though!

BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well since I truly love our theme, I would have a variety of concession stands.  I would have the cooks make the food a few minutes ahead and have them continue cooking so everything would be fresh and made to order.  I would love to have stands that served the following -soft pretzels, italian ice, an ice cream, philly cheese steak, italian sausage, hamburgers, hotdogs, turkey legs, well anything you find at a nascar race!
  • saswartleysaswartley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm...if money were no option I would have a top shelf open bar for the entire event...passed hor d'oeurves during the cocktail hour...I'd keep our buffett, but upgrade to add carving stations, etc... and I would have an italian cookie buffett as a nod to my fiances heritage.
  • AndyNJennAndyNJenn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If money were no object I would go for crab legs, lobster tails, filet mignon, sushi bar etc., and a cake from the cake boss :) haha 

but since I'm not picky, I'm going with some BBQ pork and chicken buffet with all the fixin's, and a cake from a local cake lady lol
  • Knelson5Knelson5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would spend more on decour and not food... but I would add the seafood station at the reception. I would have a light up dance floor, a photo booth and all sorts of fabric and lighting.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @saswartley I grew up in Upstate NY & my last name is Whitney. I thought that was kinda neat. I don't really know my dads family that well, since my mom left him when I was young, but know I have am unlce up there. Maybe were about to be related! (none of the Whitney family is invited to wedding since its a small affair and I do not know them)

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also Italian and I'm going to have an Italian cookie tray! but I would add a carving station as well, plus top shelf  like yourself!
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would not change our food.  We had a lot including sushi, raw bar, filet of beef, etc.  I do not like lobster, so I would not have upgraded to that anyway.   I would have put more money into decor, I think? 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would do a sushi bar as well - my FI LOVES sushi and so do a lot of his friends.  (not me so much though lol)
  • tayleytayley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shoot, I might actually get to have a caterer!! As of now we're doing a cake and punch reception, but if we had all the money in the world, we would have a formal seated dinner with 4-5 courses! Oh how I would love to have had money for my wedding!!!
  • szadigianszadigian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have my favorite band play at my wedding.
  • ramirezm19ramirezm19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have had a multiple course meal, having my caterer include a traditional mexican dessert "arroz con leche," a mariachi band to play at the ceremony, give my bridesmaids a complete spa day, buy my mom and mother-in-law their dresses, pay for my groomsmens tuxes, and take my fiance to dance lessons.
  • Vorsaga2Vorsaga2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would hire a local medieval reenactment group (Society for Creative Anacronism) to do a 10 course medieval meal. (The courses are just enough to make you full, and by the time the next one is out, you're just hungry again). I've been to one before, and it was the BEST food I had ever eaten. Plus! the whole meal is centered around a court type atmosphere with entertainment / toasts between courses, which would just be perfect for a wedding.

It would also be rather costly. =D Well worth it, though.
  • edited December 2011
    Izakaya/yakitori style japanese food - if only.
  • edited December 2011

We're pretty lucky in the fact that the chef is our friend and can make us whatever our hearts desire!
    BUT if money was no object I would LOVE LOVE to get Gordon Ramsey to cater our wedding!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards