Kentucky-Louisville

Ladies- Who's cakes do you highly reccomend?

I want a wedding cake that's both beautifully decorated and delicious and reasonably priced,any suggestions?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ladies- Who's cakes do you highly reccomend?

• edited December 2011
    We finally ended up at Plehn's Bakery in St. Matthews.  They have been there forever and had the best tasting cake by far.  Very old school and great to work with!  As far as price, we looked at several others, and Plehn's was the best price.  They were honest about the servings and design.  

We did a 3 tier "extra tall layer" buttercream cake that serves 100 and a sheet cake serving 50 people.  Only about $300!!
  • hanneal88hanneal88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    agree on Plehn's I have used them for parties and baby showers and always make it exactly how I want!
    Heitzman also has good prices but was not really impressed with the actual cake taste and texture.
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adrienne's in Clarksville have cupcakes to-die-for. I'm sure their cakes are just as good. I'm considering getting the cupcakes and then doing a small cake for cutting. I have no idea about prices though.
  • edited December 2011
    Sweet Stuff--New Albany.  2.75 a slice for whatever you want--although I think they recently added a fondant surcharge.
  • inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Had a bad experience twice with Heitzman's.  Wesley Waddell out of Munfordville is very cheap and travels up here for less than an in-town delivery fee most of the time.  Mert's Cakes by Virginia is amazing.  I've been to 3 weddings this year where it was their cake and they were all amazing. 
  • edited December 2011
    Plehn's for sure! They are reasonably priced and the cake is absolutely delicious!
  • skittles1977skittles1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Sweet Stuff in New Albany.  Our cake was delicious.  $430.00 for a three tier cake and groomsman's cake.  It was butter cream with piping.  Fondant is extra, but I didn't care because I am not a big fan of it.  Also, you can combine at many different flavors as you like with no extra charge.  And all of their flavors are to die for.  The price includes a $50.00 delivery charge to Louisville. 
  • latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback ladies I will check these places out :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We tried Plehns and Desserts by Helen on Saturday.  Desserts by Helen was better (we thought) and the pricing was similar (about 3-3.50 per slice).  At Plehns we got small samples and the lady was rushed.  The cake tasted frozen and reheated and wasn't very "fluffy."  This is coming from a girl who was raised on Plehns donuts, cakes, etc.  At Desserts by Helen, we were met with Helen herself and she was so friendly.  She gave us entire slices to try and then a whole other tasting platter of cakes to take home.  Our favorite flavors were the yellow, the italian cream (my fiance is Italian), and the raspberry chocolate.  We have one more appointment with the Wedding Cake (Vanessa) in a few days and I was recommended to her.  Desserts by Helen has come highly recommended by friends of mine who have used her for their own weddings. 
  • faeriechyldfaeriechyld member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Joyce Milhiser of Cakes by Joyce.  She's a sweet lady and makes absolutely stunning sugar flowers.  Her cakes are amazing, and very reasonable!  She lives out in New Albany but of course she'll deliver.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_ladies-whos-cakes-highly-reccomend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:608Discussion:669b9b17-aecf-42f1-b54f-938faaf74dd9Post:bd9ee55b-0473-4335-94fb-5418b5256634">Re: Ladies- Who's cakes do you highly reccomend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm using Joyce Milhiser of Cakes by Joyce.  She's a sweet lady and makes absolutely stunning sugar flowers.  Her cakes are amazing, and very reasonable!  She lives out in New Albany but of course she'll deliver.
    Posted by faeriechyld[/QUOTE]

Do you have an emial or number for Joyce? Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • faeriechyldfaeriechyld member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The number is (812) 945-8480, and her address is jamcake1@aol.com.  Make sure you put "cake" in the title so she knows not to delete it.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm trying to decide between Geraldine Kidwell, www.artistryincakes.com and Thornberrys Pie Shop, www.thornberryspieshop.com. Both are under under $3 a slice and taste delicious!!!

Decisions, decisions!!!

Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_ladies-whos-cakes-highly-reccomend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:608Discussion:669b9b17-aecf-42f1-b54f-938faaf74dd9Post:23f08c0a-0a4e-42e5-972c-bcd560fde357">Re: Ladies- Who's cakes do you highly reccomend?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm trying to decide between Geraldine Kidwell, <a href="http://www.artistryincakes.com" rel="nofollow">www.artistryincakes.com</a> and Thornberrys Pie Shop, <a href="http://www.thornberryspieshop.com" rel="nofollow">www.thornberryspieshop.com</a>. Both are under under $3 a slice and taste delicious!!! Decisions, decisions!!! Good luck!
    Posted by ms.dawntaylor[/QUOTE]

Yeah it will be a hard decision to make with some many places to try,good luck to you too!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tuneful_BrideTuneful_Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Leah Stewart from Gallery House. We had her, and the cakes were fab. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards