Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Wknd Checks! Cake Tastings & E-pics dresses

I just had a wedding whirlwind weekend with my MOH.  She flew in for the weekend to do cake tastings with me and FI and to help me dress shop for our upcoming e-pics.

For cake tastings we did Sweet Retreat, Wuollet, Jessica's Cakes, and The Cake Diva.

Sweet Retreat - very good, but not fabulous.  Liked vanilla cake, but we thought chocolate cake was too springy/soft.  Didn't care for chocolate peanutbutter combination.
Wuollet - we really liked both their chocolate and vanilla cake as well as their rum apricot filling and vanilla buttercream.
The Cake Diva - uses many organic ingredients.  Fabulous almond cake and lemon cake.  Incredible buttercream, especially the Kahlua and lemon flavors.
Jessica's Cakes - just loved her almond cake and orange cake.  We tried a ton of different fillings - buttercream, ganache, custards and mousses and they were all just amazing.

We ended up choosing to work with Jessica and will have two flavors.  The first will be orange cake with dark chocolate ganache and fresh raspberry sauce filling.  The second cake will be almond cake with almond buttercream filling and Kahlua filling.  Both cakes will be covered in vanilla buttercream frosting.  Yum!

I found not one, but two, dresses for e-pics.  The white one will be worn with hot pink and white heels and hot pink skinny belt (instead of white sash) and the red one will be worn with black wedge sandals.

Now looking forward to e-pics next!
BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
? My BFP Chart
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Wknd Checks! Cake Tastings & E-pics dresses

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on getting the cake check! They all sound very yummy!
    And those dresses are insanely cute! 
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the checks & I love the dresses!  = )
  • edited December 2011

Congrats on the checks.  Super cute dresses.  Where did you get the red one?  Looks like a great dress to wear to a wedding...I may have to buy it :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay congrats on the checks and I love the two dresses you picked out! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies!  Tegdirb, the red dress is from Nordstrom.  I loved the color and the timeless-ness of it.

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Cute dresses!  And your cake flavors sound excellent, yummy!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the cake check!  We used Jessica's Cakes, too.  I'd chosen almond cake as a backup, in case we needed an extra sheet cake.  H really loved her coconut cake with the bittersweet ganache - tastes like a Mounds bar!  Also, her hazelnut praline is amazing, if you're looking for another flavor to toss in the mix.  Jessica was really fun to work with, and I loved how she does every single part of it herself and doesn't pass it off on anyone else.  She even delivers herself and gave us a separate top tier to freeze (we ate it right away).

I do have to warn you, though, be incredibly specific with colors and design elements.  Draw them out if you can so they can't get messed up.  Ours had a lot of design elements and some got a little lost in translation.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wknd-checks-cake-tastings-e-pics-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:8fb45c0d-a11a-43d0-9d20-b44dc36a79d9Post:03d40559-6f4f-4b9e-b27f-94a3083d0f8e">Re: Wknd Checks! Cake Tastings & E-pics dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on the cake check!  We used Jessica's Cakes, too.  I'd chosen almond cake as a backup, in case we needed an extra sheet cake.  H really loved her coconut cake with the bittersweet ganache - tastes like a Mounds bar!  Also, her hazelnut praline is amazing, if you're looking for another flavor to toss in the mix.  Jessica was really fun to work with, and I loved how she does every single part of it herself and doesn't pass it off on anyone else.  She even delivers herself and gave us a separate top tier to freeze (we ate it right away). I do have to warn you, though, be incredibly specific with colors and design elements.  Draw them out if you can so they can't get messed up.  Ours had a lot of design elements and some got a little lost in translation.
    Posted by I Want Cake[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip!  We have a google image of a cake we want her to replicate (black on ivory) and she said she could, so hopefully having the picture and no specific colors to try to match will work out for us.  We are getting the extra tier to freeze as well and I know it will be amazing.  We so loved her flavors.

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ktwagner21ktwagner21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love your dresses!! Congrats on all the checks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • brink131brink131 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm drooling over your cake flavors! Congrats on the check and those dresses are super cute!
  • edited December 2011
    Fun dresses! When are you taking E pics? I have mine in less than a week if the weather is nice. I started by buying a dress way back in January :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wknd-checks-cake-tastings-e-pics-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:8fb45c0d-a11a-43d0-9d20-b44dc36a79d9Post:5c1430ed-f6b5-4a5f-8afd-540bd661d62d">Re: Wknd Checks! Cake Tastings & E-pics dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fun dresses! When are you taking E pics? I have mine in less than a week if the weather is nice. I started by buying a dress way back in January :)
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Kate!  Ours are Sunday, July 26th.  I hope we both have nice weather for ours.

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Umm yumm I so want to try your cakes! 

Also, both dresses are super cute!
This discussion has been closed.