Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

NWR - le crueset grill pan

So my boss gave me one for Christmas, but I did not season it, I thought it was enameled, it is not. So I used it once, and scrubbed the crap out of it and it is not working. There is not  A LOT of residue on it but I want it all of, so then I can season it the right way.  Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Here is what it looks like now...

ps. This part has nothing to do with my question. They got me a grill pan for Christmas because I fell in love with the NON STICK Calphalon one they have at their house, in which I put on my registry.... I love non stick things, not cast iron. haha. I appreciate that the dad picked it out for me though as I kept telling him I used his pan like every day to make me and little A turkey burgers. :)

Re: NWR - le crueset grill pan

• ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Soak it in hot soapy water for a good hour or two. Put baking soda in with the hot soapy water. It needs to absorb water to come off. If that doens't work, soak again in new hot soapy water for an hour. Use dawn or something that's used to cut through grease.
  • edited December 2011
    I tried the hot soapy water already.  I did it for like 45 mins. It looks a lot better now that it did after I cooked with it.  I also read to boil water and baking soad in the pan....so that might be another option.  I could just kick myself for not seasoning it though.  It said somewhere you can't clean cast iron with soap and water. But it says on the box this thing came in that you can put it in the dish washer. So I am just so confused.
    edited December 2011
    Baking soda and water will def. help.  A few times of soap water and baking soda in hot soapy water will be work, but it wil leventually scrub off.

To clean cast iron, you’ll need salt, cooking oil, and your stove. Many cast iron enthusiasts will insist that water and soap are never needed for regular cleaning. Instead, they rub their cookware with salt and then put it over a low flame to evaporate any moisture from cooking. Lastly, apply a very thin layer of cooking oil all over the cast iron with a paper towel. This will prevent rust and protect the seasoning. It is best to clean cast iron when it’s warm; just like our skin, heat opens the pores in cast iron and helps it to release food and built up fat.

• edited December 2011
    I really don't like how it says don't really clean it. Sounds so gross. I like to have things CLEAN.   Thanks BP
    edited December 2011
    Well, you may be able to use that to at least get the gunk off... G/L
  • edited December 2011
    i am a cast iron enthusiast. my cast iron has been passed down for 4 generations so i follow the salt & oil cleaning routine. 
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I actually let it sit and air dry more and I scraped most of the rest of the residue off with my fingernail. So I guess it is ok now to just season. There is not much residue left. 

Jackie I might ask you more about that cleaning method later :)  thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards