Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Philly/PA Welcome Bags

I'm sure this topic has been talked about before but I find the search function on TK to be very clunky.  We have quite a few out of town guests so we'd like to provide philly and/or PA theme welcome bags for our guests staying in hotels.  Aside from the generic bottle of water, pack of advil, chips, etc., what Philly-theme items are you/did you include in your welcome bags? 

Some things that come to mind are tasty cakes so we'll probably throw those in.  But we actually get tastycakes in some areas down here in NC so it's not really "local" as much any more.  Maybe some Utz chips?  I don't think it would be appropriate to throw in decent hoagie rolls (which I still can't find down here!) so it's hard to come up with stuff that's smallish and relatively inexpensive and can be bought in bulk.  I went to a wedding in Pittsburgh around Christmas time and the bride and groom gave little Steelers ornaments in their bags which I thought was neat.  So maybe eagles or Phillies pencils or pens? 

Thanks for your help ladies.  You're all a creative bunch so I'm looking forward to your responses. 

Re: Philly/PA Welcome Bags

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I think Eagles/Phillies pencils are a nice idea.  I'd stay away from anything too ornamental since it might go to waste if the recipient is not a Philly fan.
    If you wanted to give them something more tchotchke-like maybe a LOVE keychain?  Or something having to do with the Libery Bell.
    I like the idea of Utz chips, and even though Tasteycake isn't necessarily as regional as it used to be, it originated in the area, so I don't think it's a bad idea.
  • Great post - i'm working on my Philly welcome bags too and I live in Virginia!

Here are some ideas I got from friends:
    Tastykakes
    UTZ or Herr's chips
    Peanut chews
    Wawa iced tea
    Yards beer
    Cheez Whiz
    Maps of the city
    Something with the "LOVE" logo on it
    Hershey Kisses
    Mallow Cups
    Snyder's Pretzels

I love your idea of something sports related!
  • Something to do with the Mummers,

I'm still thinking....

imageimageimage

March 2013 Board February Siggy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lauren & William
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 152 Invited so far!
    image 100 Are ready to party!
    image 24 Will be missing out!
    image 28 Are MIA!
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_phillypa-welcome-bags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:105Discussion:5c0ecff0-bd44-4ab0-a6b3-4ddce2ff10ffPost:bb19c46d-c85a-4518-98cd-211e1c5df232">Re: Philly/PA Welcome Bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]Great post - i'm working on my Philly welcome bags too and I live in Virginia! Here are some ideas I got from friends: Tastykakes UTZ or Herr's chips Peanut chews Wawa iced tea Yards beer Cheez Whiz Maps of the city Something with the "LOVE" logo on it Hershey Kisses Mallow Cups Snyder's Pretzels I love your idea of something sports related!
    Posted by Lynda3683[/QUOTE]

Wow Great List!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was thinking about some kind of local brew but wasn't sure if the hotel would have a problem with it ie having an employee unknowingly give alcohol to someone under 21 Some good suggestions so far!
  • I bought Liberty Bell lollipops on Oriental Trading.  And they also have historical figure rubber duckies that include Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross.  I also bought cans of A-Treat soda  at our beer distributor.  I love that brand.  Philly Pretzel factory sells half-sized soft pretzels.  You can order them ahead of time and put them in a zip-lock bag along with a packet of mustard. Hope this helps.
  • we did the rubber duckies from oriental trading as well and everyone looooovvved them! In addition to things already mentioned we did Mike and Ikes and Turkey Hill lemonade. We were able to get the Herr's chips from BJ's (they had utz too)
  • I love the idea of something with Love on it.  Hey a fun known fact the Love statue in Love park was the first of the love statues and because the artist didnt copywrite it.  It was stolen by a ton of states.  But I love the idea of the bags 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did Herr's potato chips, tastycakes, peanut chews and a small bottle of wine from Chaddford winery. The Omni did not say anything about handing out a bag w/ alcohol in it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • We're still trying to come up with some idaes for our Philly gift bags as well.
    Someone mentioned a non alcoholic brew, does anyone know if Frank's Black Cherry Wiszniak (sp?) is still made and if it comes in small bottles?

So far we are definitely including:
    Tastykake
    Small bags of La Colombe coffee
    Asher's chocolate covered pretzel

cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards