Honeymoon Discussions

Maui HM questions

Would you recommend renting a car or could get around w/o one?

Do you think the Sheraton would be a good choice for a hotel? Are the restaurants on site good?

(FYI I had a post about Oahu but I changed it to be about Maui b/c I've been to Oahu and I think Maui would be more romantic :) )

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maui HM questions

• here is a good review

pick up the Maui Revealed Guidebook -- it was our bible while we were there!
    Photobucket
  • Yes you need a car, the taxis are very expensive (we took one to town one night since we would be drinking at the luau and they told us they charge $400 for the Road to Hana- you can rent a car for the whole week for half that amount!)!
  • Definitely get a car. Go. Explore!
  • Yes you need a car.  The island is so easy to get around on and explore and it's such a nice easy drive.  We did a luau at the Sheraton and weren't blown away by the hotel grounds and there were a ton of families with kids.  It's on a nice beach but I would look at the Hyatt or Westin instead.
  • edited September 2010
    I just stayed at the Sheraton for my honeymoon in August.  We loved the location.
    It has Black Rock Beach, which has great snorkeling (lots of turtles) and the free nightly cliff dive ceremony.  A lot of people walk over from other hotels for these.  You can also walk to Whaler's village which has a couple of restaurant options and an ABC store for souvenirs and snacks etc.  Included in the resort fee was a convenient shuttle to a couple Lahaina malls, and by the Old Lahaina Laua which I would recommend as opposed to the one at the hotel. 

Sheraton has an Enterprise on premises.  We booked it when we got there for the last few days of our trip and drove it to Hana, for the Haleakala Summit sunrise and returned it to the airport.  Cab/shuttle can be between $60-$90 between airport/hotel!!

We stayed at the Sheraton with a family discount so I don't know how prices compare to other hotels and what you get. 

There are kids in Maui during the summer, we were told Maui is very different when school is in session, less kids! 

We ate at their breakfast buffet which was very good.  We had some lunches at the cliff dive bar/cafe which also had pretty good, fast, snack type foods, when we didn't want to leave the beach or pool for the day, but there are so many other restaurant options a walk away or in Lahaina. 

A few doors down from the hotel is the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel (a very Hawaiian themed hotel) which has a champagne Sunday brunch, which was the best buffet I have EVER been too.

I would also recommend the Maui Revealed and Maui Top Restaurants 2010 books.

Oh yeah, skip the REEF Dancer ride, it was the only regret on our trip.

GL! Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Get a car-everything is so spread out on Maui so you really need one if you want to see anything that isn't in your little area.  We also used the Maui Revealed book-totally worth it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards