Colorado-Denver
Options

Help with reception!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

We are planning a wedding on a smaller budget and I have not hadany luck finding a reception venue that includes catering that is affordable.  I been looking and calling for about more than a month. I seem to find alot of places that has ridiculous add ons or are to far from Denver. I am becoming a very overwhelmed, I feel like I should have found a place already because our date is revolving around that.  I called every place that I have found online and bridal magazines that looks decent, affordable and close to Denver.

Does anyone know of a reception venue that they would recommend?  Please help me!

Thank you!

Re: Help with reception!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

• Options
    steffenfamsteffenfam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my daughter's upcoming wedding we were looking for a place like that too, but just could not find one (unless we opted for a Tuesday noon wedding!).  The food selection was very expensive - like $25 pp for just a pasta dish.  We ended up finding an affordable venue (in Ft Collins) but have to hire a caterer (and DJ, and bar, etc)

Sorry I'm not much help, but I am sympathetic!
  • Options
    HeywhitneyHeywhitney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What's your budget?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at The Pines at Genesee. I think it's reasonable-- it comes with lot of things other places make you rent, and they have some cheaper catering options. It's not too far west of Denver off of I-70.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same position as you and I had to compromise my date. I'm sure you don't want to hear that but in order for me to have an affordable wedding and still be able to invite a decent amount of people, I'm having to get married on a Thursday. Colorado's wedding market is just too expensive to have a budget wedding with a decent size guest list. I searched for months and visited 10 places and just wasn't able to find what we needed. Good luck to you and hopefully you can find what you need!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey How are you!! - 

My name is Javier - I am an event designer and wedding planner - I would like to hear for what you are looking exactly and see if my services can be of fit? _ Let me know - What part of town are you in? How many guests would you like to have? what other items are you missing from your list? 
    Talk soon - 

Best, 

JM
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thank you everyone for the posts.  I guess I never looked into the price of a wedding, but Colorado weddings seem to be more expensive.  I dont want to waste to much time trying to find a place.

@ Heywhitney: Well our budget for the reception with food/catering is no more than $6000, but that will have to include all taxes and fees.

@javiermadrigal7:  Commerce City near Denver.  Between 130-140. And I am missing EVERYTHING! even a set date. Except the ceremony place. Everything about my  wedding its revolving around the reception.

• Options
    HeywhitneyHeywhitney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My suggestion for you is to figure out a maximum price per head that will fit into that budget. Then maybe contact a caterer directly and see if they can work with your budget. They might be able to suggest a banquet hall that would accommodate your guest list. Some girls on here have had their events in a park or someone's home so that there is a minimal or no reception fee. Look into rec centers, church halls etc. Your budget is tight but not impossible. You'll just have to piece together alot of different aspects of your reception instead of paying the $$ that these places that have it all together charge. You'll also have to rely on family and friends to help you put it all together. HTH! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at places that will let you bring your catering in?  Art galleries, Mansions come to mind for me.  There are alot of galleries on Broadway, Santa Fe and in the Golden triangle that may be a fit for you too.

Those are the places we looked at before we decided to go to Vegas instead.
  • Options
    teresahittteresahitt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After search for a couple of months and NOT wanting to spend 6000. +, I started looking and VRBO.com and homes for rent. Found a 5 bedroom 5 bath that we rented for 4 days to do teh wedding and the reception at. This way we can have someone cater thats not attached to the venue, or we could do bring a dish, do a pig roast, or have girlfirends help. My son is making all of our pies (instead of cake). This way you cna provide your own drink at a much better price then what a venue is wanting to charge you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_colorado-denver_reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:59Discussion:6aa5a54e-9552-4965-9bb6-72ba1f698ce3Post:fd545e06-297f-4b84-a452-0f7f64f7a79d">Re: Help with reception!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]After search for a couple of months and NOT wanting to spend 6000. +, I started looking and VRBO.com and homes for rent. Found a 5 bedroom 5 bath that we rented for 4 days to do teh wedding and the reception at. This way we can have someone cater thats not attached to the venue, or we could do bring a dish, do a pig roast, or have girlfirends help. My son is making all of our pies (instead of cake). This way you cna provide your own drink at a much better price then what a venue is wanting to charge you.
    Posted by teresahitt[/QUOTE]

I've heard of the home rental thing working amazingly, but make sure you're allowed to have a party/wedding/large number of people there, or you could get charged a lot of extra fees.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    SayMHSayMH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered Lumber Baron in the Highlands?http://web.mac.com/lumberbaron/Lumber_Baron/Lumber_Baron_Welcomes_You.html This place is pretty cool if you like historical homes. The ballroom is on the 3rd floor and up some pretty steep stairs, which I wasn't crazy about (we didn't actually have our reception there but we considered it). The rental price is pretty reasonable compared to some of the hotels and event halls in Denver, so you might look into it.  You can bring in your own caterer at LB.

We ended up having up reception in a church hall adjacent to our ceremony, and that was by far the cheapest option for a reception.

I'd also recommend The Gourmet Kitchen in Arvada as a caterer: Madhoo (the owner) is very  willing to work within your budget. And the food is great.
  • Options
    teresahittteresahitt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We told him up front that we wanted the house for the wedding, It was advertised for weddings.  They said they had  several there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_colorado-denver_reception-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:59Discussion:6aa5a54e-9552-4965-9bb6-72ba1f698ce3Post:4971be40-028c-4c4a-8219-2ba5977ca38a">Re: Help with reception!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We told him up front that we wanted the house for the wedding, It was advertised for weddings.  They said they had  several there.
    Posted by teresahitt[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you didn't do that.  I was just suggesting that the OP do too-- I've heard horror stories about brides skipping that step and then getting huge fines instead of saving money.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    kittyshapleekittyshaplee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like this Denver wedding venue, because it has several options for different levels of all-inclusive pricing, and will take a considerable amout off your pricetag if you have the ceremony elsewhere.  It is a bit far from downtown Denver, but since it is just off 136th and i-25, it is super easy for your guests to find.  The building is lovely, and services not just weddings but corporate parties, bar mitzvahs, and memorial services as well.  It does, however, specialize in weddings and you can see that from visiting the venue, which is full of light.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When are you planning on having your wedding? Have you thought about reserving a spot at a park and buying chicken and such from king soopers. I Knew a girl that did that and she said it was fun. I'm also doing this same idea for a friend reception
    Payday
  • Options
    CHAC art gallery downtown has a great space for $200 an hour and you can stock your own bar. A wedding we went to recently used Johnny carrinos catering. Also for a great mexi option las delicias does great catering!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards