Chit Chat

Organ/Blood Donation

Okay, I want to say first off, I am not asking this question in a judgemental way.  I don't judge people who don't donate blood or organs, I'm just curious.

Why don't some people donate their organs after death?  And why are some people against donating blood?  Or even if they aren't actually against it, why don't they?

I know there are some religions that ban blood transfusions, but what is the reason?  And some people just don't want their organs donated, but why?

FI and I were talking about this, and he doesn't have the little heart thing on his DL that says he's an organ donor, and when I asked why he said, "Because it weirds me out,"  but couldn't articulate his reasoning much beyond that.  I'm not going to pressure him to change it or anything, but I don't really get it.

Please let me know if any of my wording is insensitive, and I'll change it.  Thanks!

Re: Organ/Blood Donation

• It's their body, their decision. If an individual doesn't want to (Even for the sheer reasoning of "I just don't want to"), why does there actually need to be a "good" reason behind the choice to justify it to the rest of the world?

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_organblood-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:33cfaf5c-00e0-45f7-9862-f53810f9cbe0Post:79318faf-76dc-4b16-b5da-7a027cf633df">Re: Organ/Blood Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's their body, their decision. If an individual doesn't want to (Even for the sheer reasoning of "I just don't want to"), why does there actually need to be a "good" reason behind the choice to justify it to the rest of the world?
    Posted by RamonaFlowers[/QUOTE]

That's totally fair.  It is their decision, I don't want to change anybody's mind or tell anyone what they should (or should want to) do.  I'm not looking for a justification, more an explanation if that makes sense.

My parents have always been very pro-donation, so growing up that was the only view I saw.  I knew other views existed, but didn't really ever experience them.  Now that I'm getting more experience, I just want to know more.  I really don't want to offend anyone.
  • RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    I'm not offended by people being pro or anti donation. It's not my body, it's theirs. I feel like it's an incredibly personal decision for somebody to make, so what right do I, or anyone for that matter, have to expect a reason for a choice they made about their own body?"

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I'm an organ donor but don't donate blood. Getting blood drawn just for 5 seconds to run labs at the doctor makes me feel like I want to pass out and get queesy. I am not doing that voluntarily for a much longer period of time, sorry. It makes me sick even thinking about it. It's an awesome thing for people to do who can stomach it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I agree with Ramona that it is a very personal decision to do or not do it. I try to give blood but sometimes my veins don't want to cooperate. For the religions that don't allow blood transfusions, I've been told that they don't want the person receiving tainted blood or some believe that if God so choses, the person will create enough of their own blood or they are called home. I have a friend who can't receive blood transfusions and whenever she had surgeries, for a couple weeks leading up she would get a pint withdrawn and stored so if she needed blood, it would be her own. If they didn't need it, she would donate it.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • I wouldn't mind donating organs if I pass away young and healthy, unfortunately I have a huge phobia of adhesives, and if I put a sticker on my license I wouldn't be able to ever touch it again.  So I just think I'll tell my FI to tell the doctors to go for it.

As for blood, I get VERY lightheaded and once walked from the blood lab to the pharmacy and proceeded to pass out.  I just got woozy, sat down, passed out, woke up, and sat there for like 20 minutes until I felt good enough to leave.  So...no blood donations from this girl for people.  Mosquitoes, however, take a bite whenever they damn well please.  (Must be all the sweets I eat...)

Previously Alaynajuliana

• I agree that it is a very personal decision. I don't think anyone actually needs anymore of a reason other than "I don't want to."

Personally, I have thought about donating blood. I have hypoglycemic attacks occasionally and while that doesn't mean that I can't, it makes it harder on me. Getting blood drawn for labs sometimes starts to lower my blood sugar. There is no way that I am doing that for any longer than I need to. I am on the bone marrow donor list and an organ donor though.

• We have the opportunity when filling out the application for our license there is a check the box for organ donation, so there is a little heart made into the license. No stickers, so maybe you could see if thats an option.
  • I'm one of those "I might need an organ or blood someday, so I'm going to be a donor" people.  I feel selfish not donating.   Those are are my feelings.  I understand why others don't feel that way and don't judge because of that.

My parents have been in blood banks for years.  My mom had cancer and can't donate.  During HS and into college I would donate on her behalf.  Then I started to travel overseas a lot and if you travel to some of the countries you are unable to donate for a few months/year.  I got out of the habit of doing it on a regular basis.    Now I tend to only donate when I happen to see a blood drive.   

This post reminds me that I just walked by a blood bank here in Indy (just moved here).  I should look into donating more often.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm no longer allowed to donate, from having lived in England for a year (mad cow disease fears).  I'm on the bone marrow doner list, and I'm cool with have organs donates (what am I going to do with them when I'm dead), but I don't want them taking/using any reproductive organs, if they ever would.  The idea of little gingers running around that didn't belong to me kind of weirds me out.  If any kids are coming from my DNA, they're coming from me.  I don't know why, it's just a personal preference for me.  

The idea of donation freaked me out as a kid, cos I couldn't seperate the fact that I wouldn't need the organs when I was dead from the idea that I was using them now.  Cornea transplants are what really made me think about that, cos I was aware of how much I used my eyes.  Anyway, perhaps some people still can't get over the idea that part of their body would be gone, making them really officially dead, if that makes sense.  Not complete I suppose.  

• I'm a rare and twisted individual and I actually love having blood drawn...I think it's so cool to watch. However, I've never donated blood. I struggled with eating disorders throughout most of HS and some of college and never weighed enough to give blood, and after that I kept getting tattooed and you can't donate if you've been tattooed in the last year. I will someday, though. 

I am an organ donor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_organblood-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:33cfaf5c-00e0-45f7-9862-f53810f9cbe0Post:da9abda8-e66c-4535-8d43-9ae95cd04810">Re:Organ/Blood Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]As far as organ donation goes, many people don't do it for the same reason they don't consider cremation, belief or desire for a "Christian burial". <strong>Also, there are a lot of Internet horror stories floating around about Dr.s not trying as hard to save you if you're an organ donor, which has all pretty much been debunked but still effectively scares a good portion of the population.</strong>
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This. I donate blood regularly and am an organ donor but my H is not. He heard that ^ a few times and it's now freaked him out so he won't do it and is a litttle nervous about me being a donor. Silly IMO but whatever it's his decision.
    June 16, 2012
  • I'm an organ donor, but I don't donate blood for two reasons.  The first is that I have a phobia of blood.  I've fainted after seeing it a few times (I gave myself a concussion when somebody bled on TV once), almost fainted many more times, get woozy even talking about it much, and faint when getting blood drawn.  Secondly, I don't weigh enough.  I couldn't donate even if I wanted to.

My father gave blood as often as he could until he had stints put in and now isn't allowed to.  My little sister had heart surgery as a child and also is ineligible.

As for donating organs, I have a similar mindset to you.  The idea of somebody else having some of my organs one day is a bit weird, but I don't think it's reason enough not to donate them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My father passed away but before he passed he had multiple surgeries. In one he lost so much blood they had a hard time replacing it and almost lost him. I was ten or eleven at the time and got very upset when I found out I would never know the names of the people who saved my dads life. I would have donated back that day if I was able too.

I understand people decisions not to donate in one way or another and respect that but I am eternally  thankful for those who do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_organblood-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:33cfaf5c-00e0-45f7-9862-f53810f9cbe0Post:651783a6-ef98-47dc-9b0e-d3784fec47e8">Re: Organ/Blood Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm an organ donor but don't donate blood. Getting blood drawn just for 5 seconds to run labs at the doctor makes me feel like I want to pass out and get queesy. I am not doing that voluntarily for a much longer period of time, sorry. It makes me sick even thinking about it. It's an awesome thing for people to do who can stomach it.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Same here.  I gave blood for years, but it became about a 50/50 crap shoot on whether I would actually be able to not pass out while giving blood.  If I did, and they didn't get the full pint, then they can't use it.  It just became too much, so  I don't even try anymore.

• I have a 50/50 chance of needing a kidney or two someday as do at least one of my children.  We have an inherited kidney disease and if your parent had it (Dad did) you have a 50/50 chance of inheriting it.  You either get it or your don't - you can't just be a carrier.  I have it, DD #2 does too.  #1 hasn't been screened, and DS is only 17 so too young to be checked yet.

I used to donate blood quite often but I have small veins.  Really small veins.  A couple of months after 9/11, the Red Cross called and asked if I could donate blood.  I said sure.  I went, and they blew out the veins in both arms (that was a fun night...not).  They tried so hard not to hurt me, and to hit my veins but they couldn't.  I wasn't dehydrated either.  The lady sweetly told me that my donating days were behind me as they just couldn't hit the veins anymore.  I was bummed.

I don't judge people who don't donate blood or organs, but some days it is easier than others.  I totally understand religious issues (even though I don't agree with them), and I really wish I had the magic words to convince someone who is wiered out by the thought of donating an organ.  I DO realise their issues are real, I just don't understand why.  I share the information I know and have and let it go.  Maybe someday they will change their minds.

I have been on the marrow registry for probably 12-14 years but never been called.  I also want any organs that can be used (kidneys and liver are out of the running there) to be donated.  I won't be needing them after I die.

I am absolutely fascinated by the articles I have read about 3D printers and the possibilities of being able to copy an organ for someone.  How freaking cool would that be!  It is a topic close to my heart and I just hope that people are open-minded about it when they renew those DL's or are the next of kin to someone who will die. It is a tremendous thing to do for someone else and I truly hope to one day be the person who made a difference in someone else's life via transplant.
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I donate blood because I'm type O.  I'm positive rather than negative, but the volunteers still get excited to see a type O come in since it's a highly used type.  I've done it regularly since college and will continue to do it whenever I see a blood drive and am eligible.  In college, I actually used to lie a bit about my weight so that I could do it (rounding up from 108 or something...)  Sadly, this is no longer a problem in my world. I'm also an organ donor, no question.

However, these are my personal decisions.  While I might raise an eyebrow at someone who has never donated blood, I certainly don't judge them for it.

I was actually turned away from donating for the first time ever a few months ago.  My iron was too low that day.  I was so shocked that I went home and ate a steak with spinach.
  • I'm an organ donor because I think it's a good thing to do. There is no complicated reasoning for it, just as many people who are not have no complicated reasoning behind their decision. 

I am not a blood donor because I don't weigh enough. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't do it because needles stress me out, which I'm sure lots of people think is a terrible excuse, but it's just not worth the stress to me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I agree that it's not something that should be a measurement of pressure or judgement for other people. 

I personally am an organ donor, but donating blood is extremely stressful for me, to the point where I get panic attacks.  I inherited a tendency to have my veins constrict when I have blood loss, which immediately puts me on the doorstep of passing the heck out. 

The first time it happened, it scared the crap outta me AND the poor lady drawing my blood.  She told me afterwards that my skin turned grey, and my lips turned blue before I slumped over the chair and mumbled something about not being able to hear anything.  All I remember is waking up to a panicked nurse who had run and gotten a doctor to make sure I hadn't died on her.

And now that I think of it, a lot of people are disqualified from blood donation for a huge list of reasons - ranging from allergies to medications they are taking.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I've never donated blood because I am anemic.  DH donates regularly and we are both organ donors.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Thanks guys!

I didn't even think about stuff like past medical issues, current medications, or getting tattoos affecting donating decisions.

My mom and I are both O-, and when I was young I remember her getting calls from the blood bank every 52 days and going with her.  When I was old enough to start donating, I did, and it became a special Ladies' Day.  She'd let me skip my afternoon classes and we'd go to lunch, then get new books and donate together and spend the rest of the day reading.  We continued when I was in college, and made it the kick-off point of my weekends home, and although I tend to go seperately most often now, occasionally we can time it to where we go together.  We also race to see who can fill up the bag the fastest, although if I think about that too hard it becomes pretty morbid.

Again, thanks to everyone who replied, I love getting new perspectives on things that, in my life, have always been a certain way.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_organblood-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:33cfaf5c-00e0-45f7-9862-f53810f9cbe0Post:6edd580c-5725-4315-a17f-badfc363daaf">Re: Organ/Blood Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks guys! I didn't even think about stuff like past medical issues, current medications, or getting tattoos affecting donating decisions. <strong>My mom and I are both O-, and when I was young I remember her getting calls from the blood bank every 52 days and going with her.  When I was old enough to start donating, I did, and it became a special Ladies' Day.  She'd let me skip my afternoon classes and we'd go to lunch, then get new books and donate together and spend the rest of the day reading. </strong> We continued when I was in college, and made it the kick-off point of my weekends home, and although I tend to go seperately most often now, occasionally we can time it to where we go together.  We also race to see who can fill up the bag the fastest, although if I think about that too hard it becomes pretty morbid. Again, thanks to everyone who replied, I love getting new perspectives on things that, in my life, have always been a certain way.
    Posted by dtbluv[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That sounds like a very cook Mom/Daughter day.  My Mom used to take us on occasion when she donated, but we were too young to donate then.  I wish I could still donate, even though I hate needles and am a pretty bad donor (only 2-3 of my 5 tries have been successful).  </div><div>

</div>

• I used to donate blood, but I'm not sure if I can anymore due to my epilepsy and I'm highly medicated. I've read all the restrictions and stuff and I think I technically could, but then it occurred to me that a loss of blood would lower my seizure threshold and I would probably have a seizure. So no more blood donations for me. 

I am an organ donor.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm Canadian so I think that the regulations are a bit different here (but I could be wong). I don't dontate blood myself for 2 reasons. 1.) I'm on a lot of mediations that I'm pretty sure make me ineligible and 2.) I'm one of those people who gets routinely almost passes out from lab work and who has a hard time getting my blood to clot when I get lab work done. I barely make it through my monthly lab screenings to moniter my liver and kidney functioning to check for side effects from the various meds I take. In fact even reading through this discussion kinda made me want to pass out.

That being said I am an organ donor (and have been since I was 16 and was given the option to register for organ donation). They're welcone to whatever they can use when I die (assuming that my meds don't ruin the organs first)
  • I've tried donating blood.  It's never gone well for me (passing out, puking everywhere).  Now I don't weigh enough.

I am an organ donor.  However, my mother feels VERY strongly that I should not be, and right now, she's the one who would make that decision.  I've talked to her about how strongly I feel about it, but I don't know if she'd go along with what I want.  She was a nurse in an OR for 30 years (at a Children's Hospital).  She says that she could never allow a family member to be an organ donor because when they turn off the machines, the donor is alone.  She wouldn't want me to be alone.  I argue back that I'd already be dead at that point, just like I'd be alone when they bury me.  FI and I are on the same page.  He does not want to be a donor (personal preference he won't really talk about, but I'm not one to push something like that).  He did promise however that if it came down to it, he'd let me be a donor.

I know a family who lost two children to a disease and nearly lost their third.  He is alive today because of a transplant.  His sister was at the top of the list and got the organ she needed, but was too weak for the surgery.  I knew I wanted to be a donor before, but that just made it that much more important to me.
  • Retread, you gave me goose bumps.  I am an organ donor.  I've just always felt it was the right thing to do.  My dh is not.  The concept freaks him out and he wants to "die in one piece."  To each their own.  I'd give blood if I could, but I don't meet the weight requirement.  I'm very close to the line currently so once I go over, I'll give it a shot.  I feel like I'd probably pass out, but might as well give it a try.  
  • I don't donate blood because I'm borderline anemic and after trying to donate blood 4 times I was only sucessful once. I am an organ donor though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_organblood-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:33cfaf5c-00e0-45f7-9862-f53810f9cbe0Post:af10cf34-c8ed-4616-a903-f0d0ac73b095">Re: Organ/Blood Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a rare and twisted individual and I actually love having blood drawn...I think it's so cool to watch. However, I've never donated blood. I struggled with eating disorders throughout most of HS and some of college and never weighed enough to give blood, and after that I kept getting tattooed and you can't donate if you've been tattooed in the last year. I will someday, though.  I am an organ donor.
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]

That is so me!!  I love getting blood drawn to! And IVs and shots and tattoos Lol. Although I will disagree with not being able to donate if you had a tattoo. I got one in May and have donated twice since then. Maybe it depends on where you live?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards