Wedding Etiquette Forum

Toiletry baskets

I've seen them in bathrooms at weddings and never really thought much about them. I provide that right? If so, what all goes in them for men and women? Can I get trial size deodorants?

**EDIT: Travel size, not trial size**
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Toiletry baskets

• If you want to do them, you can.  While some of the stuff might get used, a lot of it is probably just going to get left behind.  I would do lotion, a small thing of mouthwash, tampons/pads, painkillers, nail file, comb, hair spray, clear nail polish, and toothpicks.  Adjust as necessary for men. 

You should think about if the bathrooms at your venue are open to members of the public.  Our venue was an inn where many of our guests were staying, and there were other people using the bathrooms by the ball room, so it just didn't make sense to put time and money into bathroom baskets.  
  • You can if you want to.  Yes, you would provide it.  The women's could contain travel size deodorants, but I'd include more things like bobby pins, breath mints, clear nail polish, tampons, safety pins, oil blotting sheets, pen, tide stick, advil, anti-acid, small sewing kit, etc.  The men's could include anything that isn't specifically female related from the previous list.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ljsquintzljsquintz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Some weddings have them, some don't.  Yes, you would provide them for the men and women.  I think they are a nice touch, but wouldn't think twice if I went to a wedding without them.  If you do deodorant, get the spray kind so more than one person could use it.  I would also suggest gum (always a big hit), breath strips, tampons, static guard, tissues, Shout wipes (stain remover), a little sewing kit that includes safety pins, a light scented body spray, hair ties.

ETA - you beat me to most of these PP!
    Anniversary
  • This is one of those things that's completely optional (unless the bathrooms you are using have NOTHING, like not even soap or paper towels).

You can get travel size of just about anything these days.  You can get spray deoderants (which is what I would recommend, so people don't have to touch it to their skin).  You might consider lotion for the women, maybe cotton balls or cotton swabs to help with reapplication of makeup...maybe band-aids in case anyone's nice shoes give them blisters.  

Honestly, I think this is kind of a waste of money and energy. People usually bring whatever they think they will need, or they can make it a few hours without.  You will probably end up with a completey unused basket at the end of the night, or someone will swipe it early in the evening and take it home with them, depriving your other guests of the potential use of it.  
    DSC_9275
  • You can also add a little sewing kit. It might seem silly, but considering I spent time trying to sew my friend's strap back to her dress at a wedding, it was definetly appreciated! Other than that I think jessicabessica covered most of the things I have seen in baskets.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I forgot about the mending items, those are definitely a good suggestion.  I could have used those items at my own wedding (part of my bustle ripped when it got stepped on)!  Antacid is also a good idea, and maybe a couple of bandaids.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_toiletry-baskets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:56585432-5db2-40cc-8547-8c0d9e3c4fc7Post:2bd4fce5-96bc-41dc-b625-eb78f506aa0d">Re: Toiletry baskets</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You should think about if the bathrooms at your venue are open to members of the public.  </strong>.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Yes! Our venue is just like this! But it's a smaller place. Our venue is in the banquet room in the back of a restaurant. I was thinking about that, but since it's a smaller restaurant (the banquet room is a little larger than the actual restaurant part) I might still put one together.

and PP GOOD CALL on <u>spray</u> deodorant!
  • We are doing them, but only for the women (the men's bathroom doesn't even have a place to put a basket). We are putting the following in: mints, bandaids, pain killers, allergy medicine, stain remover, a sewing kit, pads, tampons, safety pins, hairspray, bobby pins, and a lint roller. Everything only cost maybe $10. A lot of the stuff I had already purchased for my own emergency kit, so I just divided some of it up.
  • We're doing them. Here's whats in ours:

Men: Floss, mouth wash, hairspray, tide-to-go, bandaid, asprin, spray deodorant, sewing kit, tums.

Women:Floos, mouth wash, hairspray, tide-to-go, bandaids, sewing kit, clear nail polish, blotting papers, asprin, pads, tums, bobby pins, hair elastics, nail file, spray deodorant.

I agree with PP though, make sure your bathrooms are not being used by the general public.
    Anniversary
  • This is what I had in mine (the one in the men's room was essentially the same as the woman's room..minus gender specific products)

gum
    lint brush
    hand sanitizer
    pads
    tampons
    sewing kit
    mini first aid kit
    emory boards
    safety pins
    tums
    advil
    tide pen
    floss picks
    eyeglass wipes
    hand cream
    bobby pins
    hairspray
  • Most places that regularly host banquets and wedding receptions already HAVE bathroom baskets that they put out on the nights that they are hosting an event.  This is something to ask the restaurant coordinator.  You don't want to go to all this effort and find out that they already HAVE them so they won't even put yours out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_toiletry-baskets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:56585432-5db2-40cc-8547-8c0d9e3c4fc7Post:928f5d90-73c7-4157-b328-be284b95b9cd">Re: Toiletry baskets</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is what I had in mine (the one in the men's room was essentially the same as the woman's room..minus gender specific products) gum lint brush hand sanitizer pads tampons sewing kit mini first aid kit emory boards safety pins tums advil tide pen floss picks eyeglass wipes hand cream bobby pins hairspray
    Posted by HockeyFan4[/QUOTE]

Copied and Pasted, if you don't mind!

I have two bathrooms at my (private) venue and they're unisex so I'll just put them all in one basket. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_toiletry-baskets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:56585432-5db2-40cc-8547-8c0d9e3c4fc7Post:0f36a65d-9f2d-438f-a570-4a7afa99b576">Re: Toiletry baskets</a>:
    [QUOTE]  This is something to ask the restaurant coordinator.  You don't want to go to all this effort and find out that they already HAVE them so they won't even put yours out.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Good thinking!

And thanks everyone! APPRECIATE IT!
  • Really appreciate OP and the replies.  We may be changing to an outdoor venue and I was wondering about toiletry baskets to spruce up the bathrooms a bit (they have flush toilets and electricity, but are a bit stark inside).  These ideas are very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards