Wedding Party
Options

Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses?

I am getting married sept. 21st 2013. I initially wanted short dresses, but now I am liking the long. I am definetely doing chiffon material. Would it look weird to do long dresses in september. And we arent' having a formal wedding, but I feel like the chiffon material gives a casual feel, so I fig that would be ok?? just looking for suggestions...

Thanks,
Ashley

Re: Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses?

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Why would long dresses be weird in September?  You're overthinking this.  And what are your BMs' opinions?  They're the ones who have to pay for and wear these dresses, so their preferences should be pretty much the most important ones.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Long dresses in September is fine! I think it should look great with chiffon. Like Aerin said, though, make sure your BMs have a say in this!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I had my BMs wear long satin dresses in mid July and that wasn't weird so I don't see how long chiffon dresses in September would be weird.

Just because you have long dresses does not mean that they would provoke a more formal feel.  What would provoke a more formal or casual feel is the overal style of the dress so I would stick with something a bit more simple as opposed to a big gown with a slight train.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_long-vs-short-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c1ea7766-23e4-4181-a3f8-0da4699d31dbPost:d990a13c-b547-45cb-b4cb-a5a7c7f23cdb">Re: Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had my BMs wear long satin dresses in mid July and that wasn't weird so I don't see how long chiffon dresses in September would be weird. Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Same here.  DH actually had a mini-freak out when I originally wanted the BMs is short dresses.  Weird.  One of only three things he was adamant about.....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_long-vs-short-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c1ea7766-23e4-4181-a3f8-0da4699d31dbPost:a59cf584-78d3-4eea-89d8-46c7cacfcc02">Re: Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses? : Same here. <strong> DH actually had a mini-freak out when I originally wanted the BMs is short dresses</strong>.  Weird.  One of only three things he was adamant about.....
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

Isn't it funny what the guys have issues with when it comes to a wedding?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_long-vs-short-bridesmaid-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:c1ea7766-23e4-4181-a3f8-0da4699d31dbPost:f3643527-317b-4067-9bd4-d08561f4c5d2">Re: Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Long vs. Short Bridesmaid Dresses? : Isn't it funny what the guys have issues with when it comes to a wedding?
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Very funny.  Everything prior to that point was always met with a "looks fine, whatever you want, dear."  So when he had his little freak out, I figured I could grant his one (albeit weird) request.  He had no other issues about food, honeymoon, venues, colors, etc.  I just chuckled to myself thinking it was quite odd that dress length was such a big issue for <em><strong>him</strong></em>. lol 
  • Options
    I dont see anything wierd about long bm dresses any time of year.  Long or short, either way is just fine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Either is fine! I was in the same boat as you - I liked short at first but now I like the longer better. I think it is a little bit more of a mature feel. We'll see what looks/feels best on my BMs!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd take your local weather into consideration for September.  Personally, I'd hat to be wearing a really heavy, long dress if the weather was beach-worthy.  I'm doing knee length, silky dresses for a Canadian October wedding ut telling the girsl to bring a sweater is they want.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! This really helps...now if I could just settle on a color! I'm so indecisive!! :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards