New Jersey

Reviews from August wedding

I've gotten a lot of good advice from reviews and just general questioning so here goes....

Church- Assumption Church in Morrristown- Absolutly beautiful and no problems with booking. 

Reception- Park Avenue Club, Florham Park.  Fabulous.  The person we originally booked with was great, but left in February and we were given another woman.  She was nice, but a bit scattered and took awhile to return emails.  Regardless, everything got done prior to the wedding.  My only issue prior to the date was the cost of adding on to the cocktail hour.  She was a bit abrupt with discussing pricing, but we let it go.  Wedding day- Everything was absolutly perfect.  The service was outstanding to both the guests and the bridal party.  The food- amazing.  The food served during the cocktail hour was not the traditional stuff and it was a huge hit.  The filet and crab cake for dinner was cooked perfectly and everything went according to timeline.  I really cannot think of one complaint.  I have to say if you are looking for something a bit untraditional from typical wedding halls, this is the place to check out. 

Photographer- Matt Rainey- Best money spent.  No issues and very quick in responding to my questions via email.  He stuck to a good timeline and our pictures are amazing.  My only issue was that I wanted additional family photos at the reception and no one reminded me.  When we tried to do them, it was rushed and several family members missed the shot.  Still, he was our best money spent. 

Video- Daniel Lee.  Can't really grade yet- haven't seen anything but will review once we see him.  No complaints so far. 

Flowers- Avenue Florist.  They blew us away.  I totally recommend them.  They were the only florist that made me go over flower I wanted and told me the number of flowers i was getting in my bouquet, centerpieces, etc.  We had a trial and flowers were great.  They were much more amazing the day of.  I just cannot speak enough about them. And, they gave us the best price possible. 

Band- Fuzzpops.  I'll admit, I was nervous in booking them even though I got their name via the knot.  My husband insisted on booking them and even though we heard them and got several good reviews from others who had used them, I was nervous.  They were fantastic and I already have another relative who is considering using them.  They played MOSt of our requests- most being the key work.  Make sure if you book them that you make your requests clear.  They aren't cheesy and the singers engage the crowd, which is the best, in my opinion. 

Dress- Pronovias Levante- bought at Dolores Bridal- They've gotten a lot of negative reviews, but I had a good experience.  If you need to be waited on hand and foot, this isn't the shop for you. They had my dress and gave me the best price.  Alternations were fine.  No complaints. 

Shoes- I love shoes. :) Martinez Valero- Curran.  Not too high and totally confortable and different, which was what I wanted.  Thanks, Zappos. 

Makeup- Jillyan Scarpa.  Again, no complaints.  I had two trials and went with airbrushing.  She is easy to talk to, arrived on time, and just all around seems like a nice person.  Makeup stayed on so I can't complain. 

Hair- Rita- I've used her for years.  Very quick and easy to work with.  Hair stayed in place and she got the style I was going for.

Cake- Palmero's- I had a bad experience trying to get a grooms cake from Pink Cake Box, so I used Palermos.  The grooms cake was amazing and they were so easy to work with.  Our wedding cake was great and again, very easy to work with. 

Limo- D & G- No problems booking, great limo, and driver.  However, there was a glitch on our contract and he tried to make us pay more when we arrived at the reception.  We refused- and in the end we only paid for overtime (which we did owe).  Moral- check and double-check your contract and bring a copy with you. 

Rehersal Dinner- Tim Schafer's, Morristown- Great food and atmosphere- we got engaged there and they were very accomdating for our dinner.  Service is great and we would definitely recommend. 

Honeymoon- Greece and Italy - I booked all of it and it was amazing.  Simply put, amazing.  :)

Hope this helps and thanks for all the reccs I receieved in my planning process! 

Re: Reviews from August wedding

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad to hear you had such a great day! We're using Avenue florist as well and Palermo's and have been very happy with both. We're also going to Europe on our honeymoon and Florence and Rome are two of our stops if you have any specific rec's im all ears!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Really happy to hear the good review of Park Avenue Club, we are getting married there in a little under 4 weeks!!

Any pictures?
  • edited December 2011
    Anika,
    I'm not sure how to post pics...never done it before.  Any tips?  I remember you said you were getting married there.  The guests were RAVING about the service and food and I'm so glad we ended up booking them.  The room itself was just amazing for both the cocktail hour and reception so I'm sure you will have a great day.  :)

As for Italy,  spend a few days in Florence and I really don't think you need more than 1 day in Rome.  I know others will argue with me on that, but this was my second time in Rome and I saw all the sights in 2.5 hours.  I loved Florence, but we didn't make it there on this trip (the last time I went was over 10 years ago).  However, my boss just came back from Florence and definitely said that she was glad that she gave it more than one day.  The train system is very easy to use in Rome and like most places, try to visit the "hotspots" early to beat the crowd.  And avoid restaurants that try and shove a menu to your face- they usually aren't good.  We spen the rest of our time in Sardinia, Italy, so I can't really think of anything else at this time. You'll love it regardless. 
  • edited December 2011
    I really am so happy to hear, we looked at a lot of places it is really tough to tell how it will actually be day of.

As for pictures at the bottom the place you post next to the spell check there is a littl icon to insert a picture into your post.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Glad you had a great day!

Also really glad to hear that you were happy with Matt, he's really such an awesome guy! Did he send you all your photos yet, or any teasers?
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reviews. Glad you had a great day.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks.  I'll try and post some pics.  All pics are online from Matt but haven't the DVD, etc. yet.  :)
  • carlaspeedcarlaspeed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are using avenue flowers too this sunday, nathan is a sweatheart and I am sure he will do a great job!
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations! Great to hear you had so many positive experiences with your vendors! I just booked Jill Scarpa for my wedding so I was really happy to read your review on her.  I'm still looking for a florist - is the Avenue Florist you used located in Elizabeth? Just want to make sure I contact the right one :)

Thanks in advance!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, it was the one in Elizabeth- It takes a lot to impress me so for me to be raving, it says something.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards