Snarky Brides

sunburn

I. am. FRIED. haha

I spent all weekend by the pool, and a few hours today. Well, apparently the sun was extra close today or something, because I wasn't burned after the weekend, but now I look like a lobster. I don't wear sunblock on anywhere but my face.

What do you put on your sunburn? I used some after sun lotion today, but I didn't like it. I like the aloe with lidocaine (sp?) though. That stuff rocks.

Re: sunburn

• I use vitamin E cream.  It's thick, luxurious, and a godsend.  It's amazing, plus it's only about $4.

You can make a lot of tea (like ten bags in some water) and let it cool, then dip a towel and put it on the area that's burning.  The tea helps take the burn out (honest!).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My boss told me to spray myself with vinegar. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it works. She swears by it though.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't burn easily.  Maybe only 3 or 4 times my whole life. but I will always reach for Aloe.  It's even better when you put it in the fridge so it's super cold when it goes on.
  • Aww, Sara! :-(

I love the Solarcaine, too. Come summer, I'm a junkie for the stuff. I second what Monsta said with the tea, and I'm also adding vinegar. Just plain white vinegar, diluted in a little water, put on a washcloth or something, and applied as a compress. It'll smell, but it sucks some of the burn out, too (like the tea).

Also, definitely moisturize, but don't use anything oil based - stick to aloe (and keep it in the fridge).

Hope you feel better!
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Vinegar. 

A washcloth soaked in whole milk (2% works alright in a pinch, it's the fat that's soothing).

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Haha, avs and Anna! I type too slowly, obviously, as evidenced by the vinegar and the aloe in the fridge.
    Wuppikins loves you!

"Hater-ade is full of disrespectrolytes" - Mehg
  • Aloe, especially when it's straight from the plant.
  • Card - I'll have to try the vitamin E cream. I've heard about the tea as well, so I've give it a shot.

Avs - I can assure you I will not be spraying myself with vinegar, as I hate that shiit. haha. Never heard of that though. I wonder if it really does work.

Anna - I'm extremely pale, and I burn easily. I TRY to get burned in the beginning of summer, so I can get a little tan. Hopefully after today I'll be a little more brown than white!

MilkDuds - The after sun lotion is what I used today, but I didn't really like it. My skin feels weird. And yeah, I probably should wear sunblock more often. haha
  • I've tried the vinegar methods PPs mentioned for sunburns before. It really does relieve the pain. You can also put aloe vera gel (or other loition) in the fridge and let it cool, then put that on. Take some Ibuprofin too, since your skin is swollen from the burns. That helps.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • ConK - I totally need to moisturize! My skin is so dry, it's gross. haha

And aloe from the fridge sounds amazing right now. I may have to call my mom and have her stick it in there for me to use when i get home!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunburn?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:248d69cf-8656-4c6c-9fba-bfa656b7c13cPost:5c2a6c12-3a90-434d-b869-151ae565ef8d">Re: sunburn</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've tried the vinegar methods PPs mentioned for sunburns before. It really does relieve the pain. You can also put aloe vera gel (or other loition) in the fridge and let it cool, then put that on. <strong>Take some Ibuprofin too</strong>, since your skin is swollen from the burns. That helps.
    Posted by cdavislynn[/QUOTE]

I just took some for a headache. Good to know it will help both! :)
  • vinegar? really? How have I never heard this before?

Ditto PP (anna?) about putting the aloe in the fridge first!
  • Whatever you do, don't take a cold shower. Do it as warm as you can.
  • I'm extremely fair-skinned too and have had MANY burns throughout my life.  Vinegar IS very stinky, but it works WONDERS!!! It takes the sting right out.  Aloe is great too, but be careful. If you put it on and then put a shirt over it, it sticks to your burned skin and hurts like he** coming off!! lol Hope you feel better!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunburn?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:248d69cf-8656-4c6c-9fba-bfa656b7c13cPost:38f1d4e3-8fc2-4e25-b46b-64aa32f3e702">Re: sunburn</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm extremely pale, and I burn easily.<strong> I TRY to get burned</strong> in the beginning of summer, so I can get a little tan. Hopefully after today I'll be a little more brown than white! [/QUOTE]

Story for my adolescent life. I was a sun worshipper from junior high through college. I even sought after sketch tanning salons that would allow me to tan for a full hour. I am very pale and freckled. I would get my seasonal burn so that I could begin to tan thereafter.

I've paid the price though. I never wanted to hear it either, so I'm sure you don't. But please always wear sunscreen. It's not worth getting skin cancer and being sliced and diced for the rest of your life.  I'm done preaching now!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel your pain I get burnt bad 3 times a week as a skin treatment. Hope you feel better soon!
  • I'm a little late, but put some shaving cream on it! The old kind, not like the gel kinds guys use. It's amazing, it takes the burn out and makes it heal a lot quicker! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I put Solarcain. It's aloe and lidocain.... it really helps!
  • Aloe in the bottle does a pretty good job. But your best bet is using pure aloe straight from the plant. Aloe is a succulent plant. You can break off a piece, cut it open and rub it straight on you. It's the best. You can just buy an aloe plant at Home Depot or Lowes. Also, I know that in the warmer months our grocery store carries pieces you can buy and use. They have them over by the tropical fruits. It kicks the bottled stuff's ass.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunburn?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:248d69cf-8656-4c6c-9fba-bfa656b7c13cPost:0168c23f-94c7-4510-ad7e-600b55846f19">Re: sunburn</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: sunburn : Oh Sarabear no!  This is such a dangerous practice.  Skin cancer is one of the most lethal forms of cancer and is also one of the most common.  Get your tan from a bottle if you have to.  Andplusalso you are <strong>too pretty to end up looking like shoe leather</strong>.  The wrinkles cause by sunburn get pretty nasty when you get older. 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

It's bad, I know. But, I figure getting burned once at the beginning of they year and using sunblock the rest of the time is better than layin in a tanning bed.
    <strong>Thank you :)  Sunblock it is! </strong>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sunburn?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:248d69cf-8656-4c6c-9fba-bfa656b7c13cPost:d112b288-4a2a-4b13-b7e3-55d0e424ee74">Re: sunburn</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aloe, especially when it's straight from the plant.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards