African American Weddings

Re: Prenup

• We arent.  FI jokes with me that we need one so I don't get all of his riches and land that he has stashed away somewhere and none of which he really has.  Laughing

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Nope.  We thought about it but decided against it.
  • We have been having the discussion (well, mostly me) as we both have children from previous relationships, and I wanted to preserve the interest of my children.  Outside of that, I am willing to go without one, but I definitely wanted to hear what others are doing along this line.
  • Thought about it since I own my home and want to protect my investments prior to our relationship but thinking against since I think its not considered comm property...i dnt want to hurt his feeling and were lookin to buy a new home together..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Nope.  
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Nope; I feel pretty secure that we will be ok.
    Vacation White Knot
  • I don't really want one but Fiance and I did talk about it. I gave him the hardest time at first because I looked at it from a heart/emotional point of view rather than logical. I do understand though why we may consider it. Being that FI is in the process of recording a gospel cd and has his own place already if he wants to protect it, so be it. In a sense it would "protect" me if I decide to be a stay at home wife/mom. Regardless of papers or no papers being his wife already establishes that what is his is mine and vice versa. What he is doing (career) is not just for him, but for me and our future family. *Sigh*  Also, his brother is nice and all but always gives the "what if she's in it for your money". I hate the thought of proving I love you by signing the papers to show that it isn't really about the money, but at the same time if it gets him and other people to hush their mouths... it isn't too bad of an idea. Fiance and I believe "Divorce is not an option" so we'll just look at it as a piece of paper. Overall, I still rather not. I've never imagined myself signing a prenup.... but who knows? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130 image Are on the way! The rest don't matter... FINAL COUNT~!
  • No ma'am.

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• edited February 2012
    I can't . I'm Catholic and it would invalidate the marriage in the eyes of the Catholic church. You can get an revocable living trust or will if you have children and want to protect their interest. But a prenup that has anything to do with "in case of divorce" is not accepted. The word divorce should not be in the vocabulary when entering marriage in the Catholic church. Do other religions allow for prenups?
  • No
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_prenup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:dac7982f-c98f-4d0d-8694-cf321c5e10f7Post:b3a6cd19-727c-4c68-8dc5-0ab5eb972302">Re: Prenup</a>:
    [QUOTE]nope FI knows its cheaper to keep her lol (love that old school jam). I did mention it once and he completely shot me down he has already told me over and over<strong> if we ever split he'd give me everything because he is leaving the state
    </strong>Posted by kikilay17[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I've thought about it, but haven't brought it up. I have a son from a previous relationship and we have a daughter together. I bought the house before our daughter was born and he was living somewhere else. We've lived together for the past 17 months and have thought about our next move. We both believe Divorce is not an option, however just in the interest of my children, I'll still think about it. Great thread to bring up.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • YES!! We are looking into getting a pre-nup. We both went through nasty divorces the first time around. I have no problem with a pre-nup and neither does the FI. We both have investment properties to protect and children from previous marriages to protect. Although we love each other and are looking forward to "forever" together we are both realistic. Being taken through the ringer the first time was no fun at all for either one of us.
    imageAnniversary
  • Nope we didn't do one. Never even thought about one either. I have a property that I purchased in 2005 but that's about it. Neither one of us have anything really but debt to bring into our relationship. H has a kid but she stays with the BM so I wasn't sure if I should be worried.  We are still trying to find our way financially though.

Good thread to bring up though for others that may be worried.
  • Nope... and not a mention of it either!
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nope. Not doing a prenup. We joked about it but thats about it. We both know that we are in this forever. In good times and in bad.
  • Yes. I am. Not because I dont trust him but because I look at it like insurance, I dont plan on dying but I have life insurance. I think the reality of knowing ppl who have been married 20-30 years geting divorced just made it a must for me. We dont have much but a bunch of student loan debt , one condo each, and some retirement funds but its not a statement of us not trusting each other. We just never want anger to overrule our love.
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards