Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How Much to Spend on a Wedding Gift?

A great debate between me and my friends has to do with how much one should spend on a wedding gift

What is your opinion? 

Re: How Much to Spend on a Wedding Gift?

• Options
    Whatever you're comfortable spending is the appropriate amount to give.
  • Options
    Agree with prior post and I also think it depends on where you live. We tend to give $200 as a wedding gift and I usually spend $50 on a shower gift. I do think that the old "cover you plate" rule is silly!!
  • Options
    What you can afford.  I tend to have a max price in mind and look at the items on the registry in my price range and see what I want to buy, sometimes I'll get a few of the smaller items as a sort of "set".  Like the small kitchen tools. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I really don't understand the "cover your plate" rule.  How the heck are you supposed to know how much someone paid per plate for their wedding?

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    HelloKatie, I so agree with you on that one.  Unless you have booked the same meal at the same venue you don't know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For a shower I generally spend about $75 and for the wedding we always give a check - not a registry item.  I just had a co-workers wedding and we gave $250.  Closer friends would be in the 300 range and we give family at least $500. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_much-spend-wedding-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:b4f72abf-881b-4b63-a849-fb9a62d25c4aPost:07f19ebf-6249-432d-b3ee-b3aac375196b">Re: How Much to Spend on a Wedding Gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agree with prior post and I also think it depends on where you live. We tend to give $200 as a wedding gift and I usually spend $50 on a shower gift. I do think that the old "cover you plate" rule is silly!!
    Posted by vtbm[/QUOTE]

I do the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Spend what you can afford. It's dumb to go beyond your means for a wedding. I'd feel quite bad getting an expensive gift from someone I know had to cut corners to do it. I just graduated from college and am continuing for my grad degree for the next two years. I usually spend $30 on a shower gift and $50 on a wedding gift. 
  • Options
    It depends on a) your financial situation and b) how close you are to the couple. As a poor grad student, I would say $25 for a shower gift and $50 for a wedding gift, although I'd probably spend a little more for a close friend or family member.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    When I have been friends with the couple or they are relatives usually $150-$200 from us. My best friend who got married last year and I was in the wedding we ended up giving $500. Shower gifts from $50-$100 usually.
    We are in our early 30's, back in college would have been $100 gift ($50 from each of us).
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I believe the cover your plate rule is only an estimate, obviously, you don't know the exact price(even having booked it yourself, there are different packages) and we try to "guess" on a cover your plate cost if it's an acquaintance of ours.

Family members and close friends, we tend to give a little more too, but only what we are comfortable with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards