New Jersey

David's Bridal

Hi Ladies,

I'm making my first dress appt at David's ....... I know there is a lot of chat on here about their alterations departments....some are better than others etc.  Does anyone know if you buy at one David's can you bring it to another to be altered ... or do they charge extra?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: David's Bridal

• JoeAnne2013JoeAnne2013 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I would recommend finding a local seamstress and to stay away from Davids Bridal alterations, they are definitely costly  (I wouldn't use them because of pricing) and apparently they don't offer good quality.

To be honest, I was engaged several years back and bought my first wedding gown from DB, after that experience I knew I would never work with them again and that was just for PURCHASING a gown.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I went to 2 DB locations (Wayne and Paramus) and had horrible experiences. My mom purchased her MOB gown from there and it came with a hole on her ass. I called them and they said they were not responsible because she did not try it on at the store (she wasn't with me when I picked it up) and she must have ripped it at home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, you can buy at one DB and have altered at another. I bought mine at DB in Philly and am having altered at DB on 22 tomorrow. 
  • David's Bridal is the Walmart of wedding gown shops.
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to Re:David's Bridal:[QUOTE]David's Bridal is the Walmart of wedding gown shops. Posted by bereasonable2[/QUOTE]
    Isn't that where you got your gown?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    i got mine at davids bridal and having it alter there too.  the alteration price was a bit much more than i expected but seeing how much other seamstress charge my mom's dress and BMs' dresses, it doesnt seem that bad.  
    it's not a boutique so you can't expect boutique service.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would not recommend Davids Bridal for anything.  I purchased and altered my dress there and had a horrible experience.  They sewed my dress shut!!! (They were only supposed to put a bustle on and take a little in on the chest area).  I had to go back 3 times - my dress looked like crap and was still not altered correctly so i just had to wear it on my wedding day.  The straps were loose but it was the best I could get from them.

If I could go back and do things differently I would not even consider Davids Bridal.
    wedding countdown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_davids-bridal-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:16b4d0de-b72c-46ae-b54f-237c70563ecfPost:52ba1023-9a5b-4fda-870a-cd05a54e99cb">Re: David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]David's Bridal is the Walmart of wedding gown shops.
    Posted by bereasonable2[/QUOTE]

Which is why I went there and bought a dress below my budget.  It's funny you should say that because the clothing I've bought at Walmart has lasted longer than similar clothing I've bought in the mall.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It honestly makes me sick that people come to this board innocently looking for a little advice and end up being bashed by such closed-minded individuals. If you have no true advice to offer the original poster, please keep your opinions to yourself.

And to answer the OP's question, yes you can alter your dress at another DB. I used the East Brunswick store before it relocated down Rt. 18 and I had no problems there. They did a great job and I trust them to do my gown as well.

Yes, some DBs make mistakes but they are more than willing to rectify any issues that arise as quickly as possible. No need to put a big red flag next to them when there are plenty of satisfied customers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:David's Bridal:[QUOTE]It honestly makes me sick that people come to this board innocently looking for a little advice and end up being bashed by such closedminded individuals. If you have no true advice to offer the original poster, please keep your opinions to yourself.And to answer the OP's question, yes you can alter your dress at another DB. I used the East Brunswick store before it relocated down Rt. 18 and I had no problems there. They did a great job and I trust them to do my gown as well. Yes, some DBs make mistakes but they are more than willing to rectify any issues that arise as quickly as possible. No need to put a big red flag next to them when there are plenty of satisfied customers. Posted by gina613[/QUOTE]
    Who was bashing? If you are talking about bereasonable, well, he likes to pop into random thread and push buttons. If he pissed you off, it worked. I didn't see any other bashing, just honest opinions from people who have either had a good or a bad experience with DB. I don't think this board is singlehandedly going to put DB out of business.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_davids-bridal-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:16b4d0de-b72c-46ae-b54f-237c70563ecfPost:59ca8051-217e-42ca-972e-31113205faeb">Re: David's Bridal</a>:
    [QUOTE]It honestly makes me sick that people come to this board innocently looking for a little advice and end up being bashed by such closed-minded individuals. If you have no true advice to offer the original poster, please keep your opinions to yourself. And to answer the OP's question, yes you can alter your dress at another DB. I used the East Brunswick store before it relocated down Rt. 18 and I had no problems there. They did a great job and I trust them to do my gown as well.<strong> Yes, some DBs make mistakes but they are more than willing to rectify any issues that arise as quickly as possible. No need to put a big red flag next to them when there are plenty of satisfied customers.</strong>
    Posted by gina613[/QUOTE]

Yes but there are plenty of unsatisfied customers as well. I and my mom are 2 of them. They world not rectify the situation because they accused my mom of ripping it at home. Which she did not as I helped her try on the dress.  Luckily my aunt is a dry cleaner and was able to repair the damage but they should have taken the dress back. I am not out to put DB out of business I was just telling my story and that I will never use them again.

Don't mind bereasonable, he's here to have the opposite affect and people on the board know that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My post was directed at the Walmart comment because in my opinion, it was unwarranted and completely unrelated to what the OP was asking. We're all entitled to our own opinion, but I think that comment went a little too far. I couldn't care less about DB getting business.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And I certainly don't mean to discredit anyone's bad experiences... I used a store in south jersey for my bridesmaids and the store ordered a completely different dress than what we chose... yeah, it was annoying, but they fixed it, and it doesn't outweigh the good experiences I've had there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards