Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Couples-Only, Adults-Only, or Neither??

FI and I have been going back and forth with this question for quite some time now.  We definitely want an all-inclusive resort, but we don't know if we should do a couples-only/adults-only resort or just a regular resort.

One of our biggest fears is that the couples/adults-only resorts are going to annoy us because we're going to be surrounded by people making out all over the place, haha.  And I've noticed that a lot of them focus on their spa retreats and we're not really into the spa thing.  Also, we're a younger couple so we'd prefer to not be surrounded by nothing but 40 or 50-somethings and we want there to be a lot of fun activities within the resort itself.

On the other hand, we don't want to go someplace where we feel like we're at Disney World because there are little kids running around all over the place.

We're probably analyzing this way too much, but I really want us to have no regrets about our honeymoon and this is the one thing that's making the honeymoon planning stressful.

Suggestions? Advice? Comments?
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Couples-Only, Adults-Only, or Neither??

• Options
    My FI and I also thought about this before picking an adults- only all-inclusive resort in Mexico. It's our honeymoon and we don't want to worry about little kids running around. After all, even though there will be a lot of older adults, there will also be a lot of young adults on their honeymoon. Our resort has a lot of activities to do, and I really don't think you should worry much about people's public displays of affection. I think most people keep that for the room. And if there are a few that don't, there's always other pools, beach, activities to go to to get away from them :) Anyway, good luck in your decision!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_couples-only-adults-only-neither?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:602ff262-daa6-4f9b-8c5a-2b91cafa8bb9Post:370531a7-3ac6-42db-9890-5476f1e8917f">Couples-Only, Adults-Only, or Neither??</a>:
    [QUOTE].  Also, we're a younger couple so we'd prefer <strong>to not be surrounded by nothing but 40 or 50-somethings </strong>and we want there to be a lot of fun activities within the resort itself.
    Posted by peaches85[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry I have to give you the side-eye on that one.  I'm one of those 40 somethings and we are a lot of fun thank you very much.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Whenever possible, FI & I do couples/adults only resorts. Those vacations have always been so much more pleasurable than vacations we took to places where they allow kids. 

• Options
    We decided to go Adults Only to avoid the small kids. I would rather hang out with adults on a couples vacation regardless of their age than have whiney kids splash me while I'm sunning :)

Several of my friends did the Adults only and loved it. They met other couples on their honeymoon and hung out with them quite a bit!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_couples-only-adults-only-neither?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:602ff262-daa6-4f9b-8c5a-2b91cafa8bb9Post:468b426a-eea2-4b0c-901a-414a884782b7">Re: Couples-Only, Adults-Only, or Neither??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Couples-Only, Adults-Only, or Neither?? : I'm sorry I have to give you the side-eye on that one.  I'm one of those 40 somethings and we are a lot of fun thank you very much.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]
    I to am side eyeing this. Dh is 38 and I'm 34 and we can certainly hang with the 20yr olds.
    As for the resorts. Thus far we have been to two Sandals (couples only) and The Royal in Cancun(adults only). I can assure you that none of them where couples making out all day long. Sandals seemed to have the widest range in ages (early 20's through 50's) .
    My philosophy. why the hell would we pay 5K and above to hang out where there are little kids. uh uh, we want to do that we will go to the shore around home not the Caribbean.
  • Options
    girlinchicagogirlinchicago member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_couples-only-adults-only-neither?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:602ff262-daa6-4f9b-8c5a-2b91cafa8bb9Post:d218a563-2370-45c6-ba7d-5f6986ebeeb7">Re: Couples-Only, Adults-Only, or Neither??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whenever possible, FI & I do couples/adults only resorts. Those vacations have always been so much more pleasurable than vacations we took to places where they allow kids. 
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  And ditto the side eye. 
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    When we went on our honeymoon (we are both late 20's) we had more fun with the 30's and 40's than with the people our own age.  The people our own age were the lame ones making out and sleeping all day and the couples that we met that were older than us were all about the sports, excursions, and generally living it up.  I think being worried about people older than you is silly.
  • Options
    I definitely recommend a resort that is adults only for your HM. You don't want to be honeymooning with kids running around and screaming and jumping into the pool.

I also agree with pp's.. when FI and I are on vacation we end up having a ton of fun with other couples we meet most of whom are older. We met other people from CT when we were on our last cruise and they were in their 50's and partying just like us and met up with us later on for more drinks before dinner. They were a riot and so much fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone!  Sorry for inciting all of the "side-eyes" but I think it was a legitimate question considering FI and I are in our 20's and we are concerned about being surrounded by kids much younger than us as well as being surrounded by adults who are our parents' age.

Looks like FI and I are going to need another sit-down to figure out exactly what kind of place we want to stay at.  Again, though, thanks for all of the advice!
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also - if you go to a family friendly joint, keep in mind that you will be paying for all of the kid friendly amenities.  These price out higher than adults only and comp to Secrets pricing - which is a much more luxurious adults only experience.   You may like Dreams P Cana - looked like a party joint to me.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards