Military Brides

International Marriages in Korea (600-240, 2 March 2007)

Hello All!
Congratulations on your engagments and weddings :)
I am currently busy getting everything ready for my wedding as well. Looking at dresses, and planning a very romantic destination wedding unitl . . . . I found out about the International Marriages in Korea.
I am not Korean, I am Canadian, and I am currently teaching in Korea. I met my fiance here, and he just so happens to be in the military.
Since the military has had many soldiers fall victim to fraudulent marriages, they have come up with this regulation.
It involves interviews, medical checks, and background checks . . . I am okay with that but, the decision to marry me seems to come down to the Commanding Officer. Is there an easier way? Have any of you experienced anything like this?
Based on my work schedule, I don't know if it is possible for me to do all that they are asking :( I'm a little worried. Any suggestions and/or tips are very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Re: International Marriages in Korea (600-240, 2 March 2007)

• Victoria2013Victoria2013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't dealt with anything like that but the best thing I would suggest is talking to the legal office on base.  They would be the go people and should know everything that you and your FI should have to accomplish to be able to get married.  Good luck and I hope everything ends up working out!!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hang in there, it shouldn't be too complicated, just a pain in the neck.  As a Canadian, it should be fairly straightforward, I imagine.  To be honest, my experience is the more you try to circumvent the military processes, the harder they make it for you.  All you need is a rubber stamp from the chain of command that says you're not getting married to spy on the US or disrupt the work of the military.  Have your fiance talk to his chain of command to figure out how much you have to do, if there's any way they can work it around your schedule.  Unfortunately, there's usually not much you can do except follow the rules they lay out.  Good luck!

Anniversary

• Purple2284Purple2284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much. I will make sure to direct him to his legal advisors. I hope the process won't be too bad.
  • Purple2284Purple2284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are right. Trying to work around it will only make matters worse and more complex. I'm going to bite the bullet and go with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards