Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Incorporating Dad into my ceremony

My Dad passed away 8 years ago, but was the most important person in my life.  Before he passed he even mentioned he was sad that he wouldn't be there to walk me down the aisle.  I want to be able to incorporate him in a way during the ceremony (without being too sad?)  I'll be wearing a locket with his picture in it, so he will be with me while I walk down..

Does anyone have any cute ideas?  not a prayer or anything like that.

Re: Incorporating Dad into my ceremony

• I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm a daddy's girl and I cannot imagine how tough this time is for. Personally, if I had to go through my wedding without a loved one, I would want that reminder of him to be quiet and personal. Can you carry his wedding ring (if you have access to it) attached to your bouquet? Or maybe have a single flower in your bouquet in his favorite color? I also really like when there are photos of the parents' wedding day, that would incoroporate a really happy moment for him and be a photo reminder of him.
  • Thoughts and sympathies to you, my dear.  I'm in a similar situation.  The DIY Bride book has instructions on 'blessing bouquet charms.'  They're similar to lockets, but for your flowers.  On one side is a photo of the person to be honoured; on the other side is a prayer or verse.  That's what I plan to do.  I also read somewhere you could keep a seat empty and put a flower from your bouquet on the empty chair before you ascend the altar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A friend of mine's dad died suddenly a year before her wedding.  She had her oldest brother walk her down the aisle carrying a single red rose (dad's favorite flower) and had her brother put the rose in the spot he would have been sitting if he was here.  Maybe do that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with the PPs. My daddy died suddenly three months ago, and my wedding is in one month. I am going to carry a flower down the aisle to put on his chair, and have a little picture of him in my bouquet. Also as a subtle way to honor him, I am including my half sister (his daughter from a previous marriage who I didn't really get to know until after his death) as a bridesmaid, and walk down the aisle to the song that he picked out for my parents' wedding. Beyond that, I don't think I am giong to do much in the ceremony itself because I don't want to make it too sad for me or any of my family members.

Anniversary
  • My dad also passed away (in 2009). I have the candle my dad lit at my parents marriage in remembrance of his dad, who passed away when he was 8. I will lit this same candle (or maybe my mom or my dad's mom to include her) in remembrance of my father, with a moment of silence, maybe next to a picture of he and I and his favorite flowers. I hope this helps, I know how tough it is.
  • my mom passed away 4 years ago...i am honoring her by wearing her wedding band pinned inside my gown near where the dress covers my heart and we are also lighting a candle for her...her wedding picture will be at the alter near our unitity candle and after we light our unitity candle we will light her candle from our flame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards