New Jersey

Going to print out envelopes today! But realized a big Ooops....

SO excited to be a step closer to mailing the invites!!!!!!
Today we are going to FMIL's house so she can help me run our invite envelopes through their laser printer.

BUT, I realized that when I ordered them, I forgot to take into account that some home will get multiple invites!!! (example: 2 families have each of their 2 grown children still living at home, so those homes will get 3 yes THREE invites each!) There are a handful more that have 1 grown child living at home, so they will each have to get 2 a piece....

I am FREAKING that I am going to run out of invites now.... I

Such a dumb etiquette rule, CLEARLY though up by the post office... LOL =P
BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Being married is a real thriller! =)

Re: Going to print out envelopes today! But realized a big Ooops....

• uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had some homes with three invitations -- it happens.

But if you're going to run out of supplies, I would consolidate the people living under one roof.  That's better than having to tell some people whose households didn't receive invitations that they won't get invitations because you ran out.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_going-print-out-envelopes-today-but-realized-big-ooops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:aba8dd6f-0749-4c2b-94a0-f749a92e9d21Post:6a1d2372-3d33-4c26-81c8-e6619a64b699">Re: Going to print out envelopes today! But realized a big Ooops....</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had some homes with three invitations -- it happens. But if you're going to run out of supplies, I would consolidate the people living under one roof.  That's better than having to tell some people whose households didn't receive invitations that they won't get invitations because you ran out.
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

<div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#003366">I like this idea..... especially because the 2 three invite homes are very close family, and wouldn't chastise us for breaching etiquette! LOL</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#003366">
    </font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#003366">Question is, how would you word the envelope...? Same set up for both families:</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#003366">Single Aunt + Guest</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#003366">Cousin 1 + Guest</font></div><div><font class="Apple-style-span" color="#003366">Cousin 2 + Guest</font></div><div>
    </div>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011

For a couple of families I knew I wouldn't offend, I just consolidated them. Like my mom and sister and brother. All living together in the same house, and all invited with a guest - all got one invitation. They are my family, they understood. I would rather consolidate than run out!

• DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I consolidated ALL of them.... They only have one fridge and one calendar to write it down on, so why send so many and WASTE so much paper and $$.  I just listed underneath like this.

Mr. and Mrs. William D
    Miss Dana D and Guest
    Miss Carley D and Guest
    1234 Main st.
    Town, NJ 77777
  • edited December 2011

If it bothers you, you might want to just buy some more if you can find them in a store.  We printed ours as well and only had a handful of extras.  You also have to take into account print mishaps- we had a few jam, etc. Still, I think you could easily just put all names on one envelope. 

• edited December 2011
    i had the same issue... i either had to decide to consolidate a few of the invites going to the same house, or just order extra...
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would leave the multiple-invitation households until the end, and then do the best you can.

I e-mailed a friend ahead of time, when I was running out of invites, and asked if I could put her and her roommate on the same invite. She said they didn't mind at all. I will send them each their own thank you card, though.

Before I realized I was running low, though, I sent four invites to my aunt and uncle's house. One for them, and one for each of my cousins (20, 18 and 16). The 16 year-old wrote back on her reply card that she *loved* getting her own invitation and felt so grown-up :)
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI- if you are doing inner envelopes, the "and Guest" is only written on the inner envelope and not the outer (according to my calligrapher and a few websites)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_going-print-out-envelopes-today-but-realized-big-ooops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:aba8dd6f-0749-4c2b-94a0-f749a92e9d21Post:0e903c3f-9b7f-45d6-bae1-dc985d53fb5f">Re: Going to print out envelopes today! But realized a big Ooops....</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI- if you are doing inner envelopes, the "and Guest" is only written on the inner envelope and not the outer (according to my calligrapher and a few websites)
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]

<div>I was just thinking the same thing. If you are going to run out and decide to put multiple people/generations on the same invite, you might want to put "Smith Family" and then the address on the outer envelope.</div><div>
    </div><div>Then, on the inner envelope, put the names of those invited.</div><div>
    </div><div>And this may not be a popular view, but I really dislike "and guest."  Do any your cousins have SOs - and you know their names?  </div><div>
    </div><div>I kinda feel like unless they are in a committed relationship, and their entire family is going, they don't need an "and guest." And if there is an "and guest," presumably you would have already met them and know their names?  </div><div>
    </div><div>Just a thought...</div>
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards