Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Ceremony Music & Program *HELP*

Our wedding is 36 days away and we do not have anything accomplished on our ceremony program or music.

My friend from college is going to sing, but we have no idea what to have her sing and we haven't hired anyone to accompany her.

Suggestions for someone to hire, suggestion for music.

Also, suggestions on music to walk down the aisle to and to leave to?

I am flipping out at my lack of organization.

YIKES!

Re: Ceremony Music & Program *HELP*

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No need to panic!  What kind of venue are you getting married  yet?  If it's a church, ask the pastor or coordinator if they have pianist/organist that you could hire.  Some churches require that you use either hymns or classical music only, so you'll want to check on what's allowed.  Also, whatever venue you have might have a built in sound system that you could use with a cd.

Our church was pretty flexible, and we used True Love by Miranda Wang for the BM, Truly, Madly, Deeply by Cascada for me, and Bubbly by Colby Caliet (sp?) all played on piano and sung by a female friend.  It worked out great.
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our church doesn't allow music that is "pop" in nature so you have to stick with the classical options or hymns.   Check with your officiant to see what their rules are.  And I agree with hkiesling, check to see if they have recommended vendors for accompanying.  Our processional was Ave Maria and our recessional was Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring which I had wanted for a long time.  They were the processionals at each of my grandparents' weddings and I thought it would be a neat way to honor them.
  • Maria92609Maria92609 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Once you have figured out your parameters with your venue (per the PPs), a good place to get ideas is YouTube.  Hubby and I spent a lot of time checking out potential songs by doing general searches like "wedding processional" and "wedding solo"

And don't worry, you absolutely have plenty of time to line it all up...I will admit that we put the finishing touches on our program at 5 a.m. the morning before our wedding, took it to the UPS store to be copied, and had a crew of family and friends assemble them by noon.  Not necessarily ideal timing (we had a lot of last minute details to confirm because we had so many musicians to coordinate), but it still worked. 
  • cukimerrydollcukimerrydoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ceremony music... hmmm... it really depends on if you are or are not having the wedding in a church.  But if you are, there are some great contemporary christian pieces you can do.

As for the program... I was printing my friend's programs while getting ready to sing for his wedding (thank goodness for my plug 'n' play printer!  I have the same computer as his wife, so I knew exactly how to install it).  You have some time to get that squared away.

Anyway, there are some good tunes you can do - is your friend male or female??  It does make a slight difference on what they sing.

Church list (just to start):
    "Wherever You Go" 635 in Gather Version 2 (Gather copyright license)
    "Enough" and "I Need You to Love Me" by BarlowGirl "CCLI copyright license)
    "I Can Only Imagine" Casting Crowns (CCLI)
    "Breathe" Michael W. Smith (CCLI)
    "Open the Eyes of my Heart" Randy Travis (CCLI)
    "Blessed Be Your Name" Newsboys (CCLI)
    "Find Your Wings" Mark Harris (CCLI)

Then there are the classic instrumentals:
    "Canon in D" Pachabel
    "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"
    "Ode to Joy" Bethoven

We're going out on a limb and doing "Boston" by Augustana - it's non-secular... but I'm rearranging it as an instrumental, so we can get away with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards