Not Engaged Yet

How would you want him to propose??

2»

Re: How would you want him to propose??

• edited December 2011
    He did it perfectly. It was awkward and we both freaked out. It was us to the nth degree. Just the two of us, at home, me in my jammies, him shaking uncontrollably. Then we got up the next day (Christmas) and told our families. Perfection. And I never though I'd like a Christmas proposal...too cliche. It's cliche because it's perfect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    And its perfect because it's on an actual holiday so if (God forbid, and I'm totally joking.) y'all don't work out you get to keep the ring! :D

Judge Judy said so.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Does it matter if you actually celebrate that holiday?? Because any random day *could* be a holiday somewhere in some country or in some religion, I mean, do you know all the special gift giving days of the pygmys of the amazon? I don't, and hopefully judge judy doesn't either...I mean, just in case. Never can be to safe.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The only thing I would've changed about the proposal would be that I was taken by surprise. That would've been okay.
    I pretty much knew it was gonna happen, and FI totally doesn't believe that I saw it coming. It didn't make it any less special.
    Other than that, it was great. It was just us and was very genuine.

Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • edited December 2011
    Hahahahahaha, yeah people have said that to me before! In NYS I think Christmas and birthdays are the only holidays that count. Either way, I'm thinking that will never be an issue!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure its just Christmas (I've seen birthdays go either way) because it has to be an American national gift-giving holiday.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    He will be wearing a tuxedo and we will go to MY favorite restaurant. After dinner and dessert, he will take me down by the water and we'll walk in the moonlight holding hands. Down the road a bit there will be candles everywhere and he will get down on his left knee and pull out a little blue box and will ask me to marry him. When I say yes (and that is only if the diamond is 2+ carats) there will be fireworks over the water.

JUST KIDDING! If you plan your engagement I think it will set you up for dissappointment. That being said, my favorite restaurant burned down so my "fantasy" engagement is shot after the first sentence.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-want-him-propose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:31f6a52b-8627-47cc-a442-8e880b9452d8Post:41ea6a9f-16db-4099-9a00-8dd09918975a">Re: How would you want him to propose??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really would like him to propose by not being wasted and asking me to marry him. Thats about all I've got.
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

THIS and I would prefer not to be on a jumbrotron. He hates crowded areas more than I do so I doubt this will be a problem. That is my dream proposal.
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Hah. Good one kathleen Wink
  • edited December 2011

haha, some of these are hilarious and just great!

BF and I haven't necessarily discussed how he's going to pop the question, but I know he has something already planned up. He wants it to be a total surprise. I've been waiting for four months now because he did take me ring shopping and bought the ring in front of me (I mean he literally took the ring home that same night we picked the ring out), so I know he has the ring, just hasn't popped the question yet. And that was in late February. As you can tell I am getting rather anxious about it. 
    Of course I have thought or "fantasized" about how he might pop the question, but I really don't care as long as it's the two of us away from family and friends and as long as it's not the same way he proposed to his ex-wife. 
    Those are my only two requests. THAT would make it the perfect proposal. Smile

• edited December 2011
    Aww, see I dont think I've ruined anything by having a fantasy of one way he could propose.  I don't expect him to propose that way at all, but I think of it as if I were to propose to him, this is how I would do it.

The elements are important - I want it personal, and just the two of us.  He knows that much, and like I said, he grins whenever it comes up so I know he's got something in mind.  All I want is him to put some amount of thought into it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CT324CT324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lol I know it sounds silly but i love chocolate and told him however he does it to make sure he has my favorite candy bar around.  I want him to do it the way he wants.  He has told me lately he has been thinking about how he is going to do it and came up with 2 ideas.  As long as it is all his idea and planning I will be so happy :)  He already has a picture of the ring I want so the rest is up to him to surprise me.  Hopefully I dont sound mean giving him the picture of the ring that I want but I am a pretty low maintenance girlfriend and if I have to live with the ring for the rest of my life I want it to be one that I love!!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh I don't like the idea of this... I think that it's best to try and not think about it even if you know its coming.  Don't try and figure it out, just live int he moment and enjoy it when it happens. 

But, of course reading this got me thinking... I'd prefer him to be sober, not that he isn't usually or anything... just sayin'.  Also, not on the jumbotron as someone else mentioned would be good.  Otherwise I have no preference as long as he's asking me to marry him.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it happened while laying in bed... we have a lot of heart to hearts just laying next to each other in bed.  My luck it would be when I was drugged up from taking benadryl, already had my contacts out and ear plugs in and he'd ask and I wouldn't hear him or something!  Haha... but seriously I have no idea what he will do and I am not concerned about it... I would say yes even if it was on the jumbotron!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

He did it without a ring and it was Christmas night after we'd had a very long day.  We were in bed just talking about our future and he kind of fumbled a little bit and asked me.  It was the sweetest, most vunerable I've ever seen him and it was perfect.  He says when he gets the ring, he'll give me a proper proposal.  I told him he doesn't need to but I think the presentation will be important to him and I'll admit, it'll be nice to have the "down on one knee" thing.  I've already told him I want it to be just us, other than that, he has free reign.  I know whatever he decides though, it'll be special. 

• paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think ours will go something like this:
    BF: So I have health insurance.
    Me: Yeah, that's cool. My COBRA is expensive.
    BF: So do you want health insurance too? It's a pretty decent plan. I got the one with HSA because I figured that would work best for you.

And then I'm just supposed to know that means, "Will you marry me?"

I'm also pretty sure he'll be sitting on the lawn tractor when this happens.

Our only requirement (note "our") is that it's private. Neither of us are JumboTron kind of people! Even a restaurant setting would be weird for us.

PS Deciding to have kids would go like this:
    BF (then DH): So my health insurance has maternity coverage.
    Me: Yep.
    BF (then DH): And there's a day care near my office. I could drop it off on the way to work if you are working.
    Me: Uh huh.
    BF (then DH): So are you ready for bed?

My overall philosophy in life is to set the bar low. If you manage expectations, you're almost always pleased with the outcome!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-want-him-propose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:31f6a52b-8627-47cc-a442-8e880b9452d8Post:3f88de0c-640a-4d39-a930-427e2c011a7a">Re: How would you want him to propose??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Aww, see I dont think I've ruined anything by having a fantasy of one way he could propose.  I don't expect him to propose that way at all, but I think of it as if I were to propose to him, this is how I would do it. The elements are important</strong> - I want it personal, and just the two of us.  He knows that much, and like I said, he grins whenever it comes up so I know he's got something in mind.  All I want is him to put some amount of thought into it.
    Posted by catemeg[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  I certainly have my fantasies, and my ideals, but I also know that no matter what he decides or how he decides to do it, it will be perfect.  I decided long ago that he was the man I was going to spend the rest of my life with.  Right now, we're happy, and in love, and enjoying every minute of our time together.  No need for me to stress about any of the details.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha!  I now have BF on health insurance through my work.  We're officially "Domestic Partners" in the State of Florida as of yesterday!  Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that - it seems rather anticlimactic. 

I know for sure why gay couples want more than "domestic partnership" - it's just not the same!  All it's saying is you live together, share finances, share a life together, and intend to do so for the foreseeable future.  And it's null-and-void if someone moves out - no need to get divorced or anything.

Anyway, we're domestic partners now.  Wooo hooo!  And we have medical and dental insurance - HURRAY!  Oh, and we share bank accounts.  And a family plan for our cell phones.  And car insurance.  And NOW health insurance!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-want-him-propose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:31f6a52b-8627-47cc-a442-8e880b9452d8Post:feadd56e-4453-4a43-8c52-11470b534659">Re: How would you want him to propose??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha!  I now have BF on health insurance through my work.  We're officially "Domestic Partners" in the State of Florida as of yesterday!  Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that - it seems rather anticlimactic.  I know for sure why gay couples want more than "domestic partnership" - it's just not the same!  All it's saying is you live together, share finances, share a life together, and intend to do so for the foreseeable future.  And it's null-and-void if someone moves out - no need to get divorced or anything. Anyway, we're domestic partners now.  Wooo hooo!  And we have medical and dental insurance - HURRAY!  Oh, and we share bank accounts.  And a family plan for our cell phones.  And car insurance.  And NOW health insurance!
    Posted by catemeg[/QUOTE]

CONGRATS! LOL Are you going to call him DP now?
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-want-him-propose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:31f6a52b-8627-47cc-a442-8e880b9452d8Post:0b136259-24e8-4bd7-a190-b49432e826ba">Re: How would you want him to propose??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would you want him to propose?? : CONGRATS! LOL <strong>Are you going to call him DP now?</strong>
    Posted by ekathleen684[/QUOTE]

Haha... heck no!  That's just weird for me... to us, it's simply a statement of what we are.  We read the policies, and all of it is true.  We live together, we share financial responsibility and decisions, we are not in a binding relationship with anyone else, and we intend to remain together at the exclusion of all others.  Um, yeah, that's where we are for sure!

The days of calling him "FI" are likely approaching - we had such a funny conversation last night about the traveling I'll be doing for work, and how several of my colleagues were groped by frisky Mexican businessmen at an event last week. 
    My BF said, "Well, maybe we should get you a fake ring or something to let them know you're taken." 
    *PAUSE*  I blinked a few times
    "Isn't that what a real ring is for?"

He blushed and mumbled something.  Very cute!  I figure, if the guy wants to mark his territory, then it probably should be something better than plastic and cubic zirconia.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not superficial about the ring at all.  But if he's willing to put a piece of plastic on my finger to let guys know I'm taken, then he should probably think about doing it for real.  He agrees!
  • edited December 2011
    It doesn't matter what he does I'm happy to get the ring, and to have him for the rest of my life. :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-want-him-propose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:31f6a52b-8627-47cc-a442-8e880b9452d8Post:6c175697-f4d5-4c4c-a299-5670aabfa130">Re: How would you want him to propose??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think ours will go something like this: BF: So I have health insurance. Me: Yeah, that's cool. My COBRA is expensive. BF: So do you want health insurance too? It's a pretty decent plan. I got the one with HSA because I figured that would work best for you. And then I'm just supposed to know that means, "Will you marry me?" I'm also pretty sure he'll be sitting on the lawn tractor when this happens.
    Posted by paintgirl[/QUOTE]

LMAO, this is totally how ours went! 
    Me:  Goddamn this car insurance thing sucks!  Why do we have to pay more for not being married?
    FI: Also, your health insurance is costing a small fortune
    Me:  We could save like $2k a year if we just got married
    FI: Plus we'd get a huge tax break
    Me: And it would make our parents super happy and my grandparents would stop harassing us for "living in sin"
    FI: What time does the courthouse open on Monday?
    This was all as we were dring to Nebraska for a friend's wedding.
    He did get a ring and propose a few days later... but we told everyone at the wedding that we were engaged.
    imageimageAnniversary
  • raw1299raw1299 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

christmas eve would be nice. outside in the snow.
    new years day, waking up with the ring on your finger, a bright new thing to start your year together.
    i think a cute thing (for us) would be at a family get together, and his little neice comes up to us and says that he wants to ask me to marry him, then he gets down on one knee. lol. she wispered in my ear last christmas that me and jared are getting married, and i thought he planned it and stuff, come to find out he didnt and i was let down. lol.

Married 10/09/11
    Miss Claire born 5/29/13
    Our Happy Little Family
  • edited December 2011
    I occasionally had fantasies of a candle-lit proposal on the beach, or a proposal in front of my family.

My fiance proposed to me (as I was dressed in dirty work clothes with crappy hair and a migrane headache) in the middle of our dirty living room the night before we were supposed to go see my fam for Christmas. I wouldn't trade it for the world, even the dog licking him in the face mid-proposal.

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards