Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Academy of Natural Sciences

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newly engaged Philly Bride! yay! We were interested in the Academy of Natural Sciences for our reception in June 2011. Has anyone talked to them? They say they have room for anywhere from 25 to 1400 people...We'll probably end up with about 100 but I just ca'nt see where they have room for that! Also their caterer seems like he has a bit of a star-studded reputation with makes me thing nothing but $$$$. Does anyone know anything about them?

Re: Academy of Natural Sciences

• Options
    luvdelilahluvdelilah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We looked into them as well.  They were a pain in the behind to get a hold of - never returned an email or call from FI or I.  Our wedding planner finally got in touch with them but they were out of our price range (150 pp was our max).  Hope that helps a little!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    moshuyamoshuya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to work there.  100 people would *likely* be seated for dinner in the dinosaur hall.  It's absolutely lovely for events.  Museums really come alive after hours.  As for the caterer, he's great, he knows the space phenomenally well, and they definitely take care of everything, but he is pricier than was in my budget.  You should be able to get something for $150 pp, although, it would probably be stretching it for an all-out sit down dinner.  I would definitely suggest calling if you're interested.  The facilities manager should be able to help you gauge on catering costs, and if it's really where you want, you *should* be able to at least get a very nice cocktail/tapas-style reception for your budget.
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to events here and its a really interesting venue... definately worth a look
  • Options
    lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info guys. The dino hall is what we're really interested in and I think we might be willing to make sacrifices to get there, even so $155pp is a stretch. Does anyone know if they do buffet or family style dinners?
  • Options
    SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The event I went to there was a "welcome back" party for medical school, so it was an extended cocktail hour and beer and wine deal.  Definately fun and the food was decent, but probably not wedding material.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

Remember to ask, though, which exhibits would be open for your guests to explore.  Unfortunately, the butterfly room probably isn't one of them - it wasn't open for us.

I forget the pricing for dinners, but you might also consider the franklin (fi.edu)... the rental fee is about $5000. 

GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards