Registry and Gift Forum

place settings

how many fine china place settings are we supposed to register for. fi and I found a beautiful pattern at macys but we have no idea how many place setting it is common to register for.

Re: place settings

• I think registering for either 8 or 12 placesettings is common.  I would think about how often you plan to host formal dinners and how many people you expect to be entertaining. 

We are planning on registering for 12 settings.  That's probably more than we really need, but this way we'll have extras if we break any. 
  • We registered for 14, and ended up receiving 16 (our pattern is Vera Wang Vera Lace Platinum). This is not even enough for our immediate families, however (between the two of us, there are ten siblings, plus our four parents, plus siblings' partners...). But, if you had a tinier family, I think 10 is a good number, with some extra salad/dessert plates in your pattern or in a nice coordinating pattern (so you don't have to wash that plate in between the salad and dessert course - we had never thought of this, but received 8 Vera Lace imperial Scroll dessert plates which are perfect for this!). 
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_place-settings-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a4627672-a887-4569-852d-b005ebaf8e2ePost:0d5dac9d-761b-4445-ba50-c660ceacd303">Re: place settings</a>:
    [QUOTE]We registered for 14, and ended up receiving 16 (<strong>our pattern is Vera Wang Vera Lace Platinum).</strong> This is not even enough for our immediate families, however (between the two of us, there are ten siblings, plus our four parents, plus siblings' partners...). But, if you had a tinier family, I think 10 is a good number, with some extra salad/dessert plates in your pattern or in a nice coordinating pattern (so you don't have to wash that plate in between the salad and dessert course - we had never thought of this, but received 8 Vera Lace imperial Scroll dessert plates which are perfect for this!). 
    Posted by Jennifer2008[/QUOTE]

Oooh, I've been looking at china patterns to register for and that Vera Wang Lace pattern is my favorites.
  • We're not registering for fine china, we're registering for nice everyday china.  Buuut, we plan on registering for 12 sets, because it'll be enough to have family over for holidays, and means we can go a few days without having to run the dishwasher ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards