Getting in Shape

The New Rules of Lifting for Women

So after much research on the internet I bought this book. I am wondering if anyone else has read it and what their experiences were using the concepts of the diet and work outs in this book? I follow it somewhat already, however, I used the formula to figure out my calories and it seems really, really high. The estimation on the calories I need to eat are significantly more than what my fitness pal tells me I should be eating. I appreciate anyone's thoughts/comments on this book! Thanks :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women

• I just started it, though I'm not following the nutrition part, just the excerises.

They have a facebook group, which I have found to be helpful.
  • It's suppose to be really high because the concept is that you will be gaining a good amount of muscle from their lifting programs. 

I think it's worth giving it a shot. I know it seems like a lot and that's scary, but I would suggest trying it out for a month. That gives you a chance to see if it's working or now, without doing any damage to what you have already done. 

If you absolutely refuse up your caloric intake so significantly, please up your protein signifitcantly at least. It's important for your muscle building. What's your protein intake as of now (daily) ? 
  • I am usually between 75-85g of protein a day. I know I need to increase this. A lot of it is a matter of finding food (non-meat) that I like that contains more protein.

The calorie intake is so much more than what I eat now I am a little scared. I am worried about ballooning back up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you're having a hard time finding good food based protein I'd suggest adding in a supplement.  I'd go to a GNC or health and wellness store but read the labels!  Some protein is better than others (some have a TON of sugars for flavor)

Otherwise some of my fav protein packed food:

Natural Peanut butter- eat with apples, celery or plain rice cake
    Greek Yogurt
    Egg whites- I usually make a spinach and egg white salad
    Cottage cheese
    sunflower seeds
    almonds
    cashews
    and then of course meats like chicken, salmon, lean beef

Also, to put aside some of your fears of "ballooning back up"  as long as you're eating healthy calories (500 calories from a Big Mac and 500 calories from a chicken breast with a side salad are a big difference)  The extra protein will help you lean out.  As long as you are eating healthy and have a steady exercise program your body needs those calories!
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • I did it, but didn't follow the diet, and LOVED it!!  I plan on starting it again in August/September so I can tone up a bit again.  It made such a great difference, and I could tell it was working really quickly!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I just started this program yesterday and I'm having some trouble with the daily calorie intake.  According to my age, height, and weight, I should be eating somewhere around 2,000-2,200 calories per day.  I don't understand how this is even possible without eating junk food all day long.

Take today for example.  I usually don't track my calorie intake, but I did today.  Today probably isn't the best example because I forgot to bring my lunch to work, but here is what my food intake looks like up until this point:
    Breakfast - oatmeal (120 calories)
    Snack - pretzels (about 100 calories)
    Lunch - grabbed crackers with cheese from the vending machine (210 calories) and I grabbed a soda, which I usually don't drink, to add some calories (150 calories)
    Snack - more pretzels (about 160 calories)

That gives me 740 total calories.  Which means I would need 1,260-1,460 calories for dinner!  That's insane!  Even if I had eaten a normal lunch (say a PB sandwich on wheat bread), that would only add about 40 calories.  

How exactly does one eat 2,200 calories without eating junk food?  I'm just not hungry enough to eat that much food in one day.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1ba7acc8-15c7-4c55-9e72-fa1a026ad79cPost:1abdf79b-8e30-4824-9ad8-bd1e705f2b36">Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just started this program yesterday and I'm having some trouble with the daily calorie intake.  According to my age, height, and weight, I should be eating somewhere around 2,000-2,200 calories per day.  I don't understand how this is even possible without eating junk food all day long. Take today for example.  I usually don't track my calorie intake, but I did today.  Today probably isn't the best example because I forgot to bring my lunch to work, but here is what my food intake looks like up until this point: Breakfast - oatmeal (120 calories) Snack - pretzels (about 100 calories) Lunch - grabbed crackers with cheese from the vending machine (210 calories) and I grabbed a soda, which I usually don't drink, to add some calories (150 calories) Snack - more pretzels (about 160 calories) That gives me 740 total calories.  Which means I would need 1,260-1,460 calories for dinner!  That's insane!  Even if I had eaten a normal lunch (say a PB sandwich on wheat bread), that would only add about 40 calories.   How exactly does one eat 2,200 calories without eating junk food?  I'm just not hungry enough to eat that much food in one day.
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

Yes exactly! For my height and weight I would be 1800-2000 according to this book. According to MFP on days I dont work out I should be eating 1560 to maintain. That is almost 300 calorie difference! I don't know how I could ever eat that much. I wasn't even eating 2000 calories a day when I weighed 30 more pounds than I do now! Thats what scares me, making me think I will baloon back up unhealthy proportions and that my gains will be in fat and not all muscle.
  • lls31... 
    ok.. So.. Obviously that's not your typical day, but I want to point out that while all those are low calorie options.. they are completely empty calories. Oatmeal, pretzles, crackers... All grains. Don't get me wrong.. Grains can be very important like the oatmeal.. but The rest is ... nothing useful for your body. 

We also tend to underestimate our portion sizes. Don't be blind to those, and you will be surprised at how easy it is to get your calories back up there. 

A cup of cooked quinoa is about 220 calories. GOOD calories. A banana is about 105-150. An avocado... 
    It keeps going. 

Off the top of my head, a meal plan such as.. 

Breakfast: 500 calories
    coffee with milk/cream
    double serving of Oatmeal
    Apple/Banana/fruit 

Snack: 250-450
    a serving of pb or almond b. Two tablespoons (looking at the one I have in the fridge) is about 200 calories. TWO TABLE SPOONS. have you measured that out? It's not a whole lot. 
    Add that with some veggies

Lunch: 600
    1cup quinoa w/mixed veggies and soy sauce
    spinach salad (with homemade dressing.. Consider what dressings you use, because that can add a ton of extra calories as well) 
    Lean meat (for you meat eaters) wrap

Snack (options): 300
    Pb/Almond butter 
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    banana nut muffin
    protein bar
    guacamole with veggiest to dip
    (dum dum dummmm) chips

Dinner: 500-700
    Some lean meat (for you meat eaters :P ) 
    rice/quinoa/potato/corn
    veggie

Done. 
    Conservately that would be no less than 1,900 calories. 
    It's possible I promise ;) 
  • lls31lls31 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1ba7acc8-15c7-4c55-9e72-fa1a026ad79cPost:72631233-9dc9-4a54-898f-fb6b532be8db">Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women : Yes exactly! For my height and weight I would be 1800-2000 according to this book. According to MFP on days I dont work out I should be eating 1560 to maintain. That is almost 300 calorie difference! I don't know how I could ever eat that much. I wasn't even eating 2000 calories a day when I weighed 30 more pounds than I do now! Thats what scares me, making me think I will baloon back up unhealthy proportions and that my gains will be in fat and not all muscle.
    Posted by maribeth721[/QUOTE]

<div>I honestly have never tracked calories, so I don't know how much I consume daily.  I just don't think this 2,000 calories per day is going to work.  I shouldn't have to force myself to eat more if I'm not hungry.</div><div>
    </div><div>I do, however, plan on upping my protein intake.  I used to drink whey protein recovery shakes after workouts a few years back, but I stopped because they made me nauseous.  I might try a different brand and see if how it works out.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck with NROL!  How do you like the workouts so far?  I literally just started yesterday (Stage 1, Workout A) and I thought it was extremely easy (and short).  I guess that just means I need heavier weights!</div>
  • lls31lls31 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1ba7acc8-15c7-4c55-9e72-fa1a026ad79cPost:f52989d6-0613-4577-abd4-65b358d94a2f">Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women</a>:
    [QUOTE]lls31...  ok.. So.. Obviously that's not your typical day, but I want to point out that while all those are low calorie options.. they are completely empty calories. Oatmeal, pretzles, crackers... All grains. Don't get me wrong.. Grains can be very important like the oatmeal.. but The rest is ... nothing useful for your body.  We also tend to underestimate our portion sizes. Don't be blind to those, and you will be surprised at how easy it is to get your calories back up there.  A cup of cooked quinoa is about 220 calories. GOOD calories. A banana is about 105-150. An avocado...  It keeps going.  Off the top of my head, a meal plan such as..  Breakfast: 500 calories coffee with milk/cream double serving of Oatmeal Apple/Banana/fruit  Snack: 250-450 a serving of pb or almond b. Two tablespoons (looking at the one I have in the fridge) is about 200 calories. TWO TABLE SPOONS. have you measured that out? It's not a whole lot.  Add that with some veggies Lunch: 600 1cup quinoa w/mixed veggies and soy sauce spinach salad (with homemade dressing.. Consider what dressings you use, because that can add a ton of extra calories as well)  Lean meat (for you meat eaters) wrap Snack (options): 300 Pb/Almond butter  cottage cheese greek yogurt banana nut muffin protein bar guacamole with veggiest to dip (dum dum dummmm) chips Dinner: 500-700 Some lean meat (for you meat eaters :P )  rice/quinoa/potato/corn veggie Done.  Conservately that would be no less than 1,900 calories.  It's possible I promise ;) 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you for these meal plans!  I do usually eat a lot of the healthier things you mentioned.  Today was probably a bad day to start counting calories considering I forgot to bring my lunch/snacks.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My problem is that I feel like it's not possible for me to eat so much food in a day.  I'm just not that hungry.  For example, your sample breakfast... I eat one packet of oatmeal for breakfast and I'm full.  </div>
  • edited July 2012
    How tall are you/what's your body fat percentage? 
    How successful have you been with your weight loss thus far? 

You know when you get a headache and you think "crap I'm dehydrated, need to go drink water" ? But you know it's already too late. Your body needed water a while ago and now you are in the negative and it's hurting because of it. 
    Same with your bod and hunger. 
    It's ok to be a little grumbly in the tummy (hehe) but overall you want to try to keep it fueled before it realizes it's hungry. 

Diet is a funny thing.. it takes forever to fully understand each individual's dietary needs. Definitely something that we all have to play with a lot.. Hopefully upping your protein intake will help with your health and fitness goals :) 
  • lls31lls31 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1ba7acc8-15c7-4c55-9e72-fa1a026ad79cPost:c28479de-cfde-4710-b716-628e4d34b0cb">Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women</a>:
    [QUOTE]How tall are you/what's your body fat percentage?  How successful have you been with your weight loss thus far?  You know when you get a headache and you think "crap I'm dehydrated, need to go drink water" ? But you know it's already too late. Your body needed water a while ago and now you are in the negative and it's hurting because of it.  Same with your bod.  It's ok to be a little grumbly in the tummy (hehe) but overall you want to try to keep it fueled before it realizes it's hungry.  Diet is a funny thing.. it takes forever to fully understand each individual's dietary needs. Definitely something that we all have to play with a lot.. Hopefully upping your protein intake will help with your health and fitness goals :) 

<div>Me?  I'm 5' 6", 120 lbs.  Not trying to lose weight, just want to tone up and be stronger.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I actually drink water all day.  I wonder if that's part of the problem - maybe the water is curbing my hunger?</div>
  • No.. you .. missed my point on the water topic. It was an example of how maybe your issue is that you're waiting until you're super hungry to eat, when you shouldn't be waiting that long before eating again. 
    Drinking water all day is just fine. If you are used to it, I doubt it's curbing your appetite at all. I am the same way. I drink about 2 gallons of water a day and it doesn't affect me other than multiple bathroom trips :P 

If you're trying to be more defined and stronger, than upping the protein should do just fine; of course upping your protein = upping your caloric intake anyway so you should be good.. I definitely would suggest that you food log or journal to keep an eye on whatever you're takin in.. It'll help you figure out what diet adjustments your bod hates and loves. 
  • lls31lls31 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_the-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:1ba7acc8-15c7-4c55-9e72-fa1a026ad79cPost:e7273f10-4db1-4dd4-aac6-062e16a77334">Re: The New Rules of Lifting for Women</a>:
    [QUOTE]No.. you .. missed my point on the water topic. It was an example of how maybe your issue is that you're waiting until you're super hungry to eat, when you shouldn't be waiting that long before eating again.  Drinking water all day is just fine. If you are used to it, I doubt it's curbing your appetite at all. I am the same way. I drink about 2 gallons of water a day and it doesn't affect me other than multiple bathroom trips :P  If you're trying to be more defined and stronger, than upping the protein should do just fine; of course upping your protein = upping your caloric intake anyway so you should be good.. I definitely would suggest that you food log or journal to keep an eye on whatever you're takin in.. It'll help you figure out what diet adjustments your bod hates and loves. 

<div>Gotcha - read your post too quickly the first time.  Thanks for the advice!  I appreciate it!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards