Ohio-Toledo

First Wedding Catastrophe- the cake

So I know I still have 8 months and plenty of time to find a new one, but my cake lady called yesterday to tell me that she has a family obligation and can no longer make my wedding cake. She was extremely apologetic and offered to do my groom's cake for free for his birthday(which I declined). I know these kind of things happen and I should be so lucky if this is the worst to happen, but I've still kind of gone into freak-out mode. I think I'm even more upset because I really liked her and I'm afraid I'm not going to find anyone that will do as good of a job in the same price range. We were planning on doing a 3-tier fondant cake with a sheet cake(w/o fondant) and a groom's cake, too(a surprise for him). She was charging us 2.60 a slice (w/fondant, no filling) and $100 for an 80 serving sheet cake. We hadn't talked about the groom's cake pricing, yet(that's what I thought she was calling about)

My day-of coordinator gave me a couple more names, one I have heard horror stories about and the other is another lady that does them out of her home and is even cheaper than the first, but I don't know if I should go that way again, I really don't want this to happen again. I'm halfway debating making my own, but my dad already tried to  talk me out of "putting more on my plate." 

So I guess I'm wondering who you are using(or used) for your wedding cake and if this happened to anyone else. Frown 

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: First Wedding Catastrophe- the cake

• MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do NOT make your own cake.  That's definitely something you don't need to be worrying about!

Use Kristy w/ the Bake Shop.   She's cheaper (IIRC), makes her buttercream as smooth as fondant (so you get the clean look without the icky taste), and is WONDERFUL to work with. 

Her cakes are delicious and gorgeous!  I'd highly recommend her!!! :)
    http://kristysbakeshop.com/
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately I think Abi likes the "icky taste" fondant..so I will be peeling it off her cake when I eat it! The cake that will be from an even more fabulous baker than the first and hopefully a better deal!
  • nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Thrush's bakery for our cake and sweets table and Cake Arts Supply for the groom's cake.  More than pleased!  The cakes were awesome!

Whoever you choose...just call to set up tastings first.  You do still have plenty of time...I'm sure it will all work out great whoever you choose!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Kristy from the Bake Shop!  She's wonderful, creative, and the cakes are absolutely beautiful!  Her prices were really great, too.  A full review and pic is in my bio (link in signature)
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Brieschke's Bakery in Sylvania and so far I've been pleased with their service.  They are typically closed on the weekend of my wedding (Thanksgiving weekend). But she agreed to come in specially for me and make my wedding cake.  Only $1.85 a slice.  They do not use fondant though.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Cherry Lane Cakes (she works out of her home so its possible this who you are talking about).  If this is not who you are talking about I highly recommend.  I obviously can't comment on my own cake yet (11 more days!) but she did my sister's cake and it was amazing.  My sister's was iced (no fondant) and it was gorgeous and delicious!  Cindy has been great to work with so far.  I am using fondant I am used to peeling it off the cake, but at the tasting we went to, the fondant she used wasn't so terrible.
    www.cherrylanecakes.com
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What baker do you have right now? I am using Amanda at Creative Confections...she charges the same price as your lady, so maybe you thats who you had lined up??  Let me know if you need contact info.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • abigirl9abigirl9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had Christine with Creative Confections, but it must be a different company with the same name b/c she works out of her home. Honestly, I really liked her personality and how helpful she was and her cakes were amazing! I saw her at a bridal show a month or two after we decided on the cake and she remembered me and my name and our cake flavors. I think this was just a major fluke and I don't want to give her a bad review or anything. She sounded as upset as I was. Frown

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Abi! Yes! That is my lady, I called her the wrong name.  lol.  :) She is super nice.  Sorry that it didn't work out for you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow! Funny! I am having Chrissy at Creative confections as well. She was super nice and it is the best cake I have ever tasted!! I found her through a friends baby shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards