Snarky Brides

My MOM told me to lose weight to save on alterations!

And I am beyond PISSED OFF!!!  How dare she?  I tried on a sample dress which was one size too small.  Apparently, because it didn't fit me like a glove right away she doesn't think it will fit on the wedding day.  I'm like mom, I'm buying a size up.  She says oh well then if you lose weight and go a size up we would have to pay even more for alterations.  My mom is usually the sweetest, most supportive person.  I just don't understand... And I look damn hot in the dress! (well i can use my imagination to bring it a size up in the bust area).  Like every other bride I am planning on losing 10-15 lbs before the big day anyway.  UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOW I DON'T WANT THE DRESS and I searched forever to get to this one.  Thanks for ruining what I envisioned as the perfect dress.  Now to keep searching and searching until I find another one.  This time, mom can stay at home! 

Re: My MOM told me to lose weight to save on alterations!

• First of all, I'm so sorry your own mother said that to you. But, she obviously wasn't thinking of your feelings when she said that. She was probably thinking more about her pocketbook than your feelings, which still isn't right. And if she's not paying for the dress then she is even more out of line. Us girls are so sensitive about our weight as it is the last thing we need is anyone especially those who are the closest to us to make negative comments about it. You need to sit down and talk to her and let her know how it made you feel and that you look damn hot in the dress and you want it!
  • I think our mothers are twins.... I took my mom just to get a formal gown and she told me that to keep my FI I needed to lose 20-30 pounds... After that, I have decided not to take my mom to look with me for the dress. She can find out when I come down the isle in it.  Take a friend with you instead..
    Anniversary
  • Thanks for understanding ladies.  I guess sometimes the people who are closest to you can hurt you the most.  I called my sister and told her about it and she said she would pay for the alterations (i didn't ask she offered) and to forgive my mom because she is under financial pressure.  My mom is paying for half the dress and it is $2,000 (without alterations).  But she must be crazy if she thinks wedding dresses fit perfect without alterations!  I am going to have to get alterations for the little things nonetheless, with or without weight loss.  I am trying to be strong and not let her ruin this for me but I can't help but think "FAT" when I see the dress now.  I was supposed to buy it today but now I am going to go over my mom's instead and tell her how she made me feel.  Maybe she'll say something to ease my frustration.
  • I feel your pain Rodeo!!  If only they would let us make that decision for OURSELVES.  I used to think friends would be even more critical but now I see moms are no cakewalk.
  • My mother thinks that to keep a good man you need to be a size 4. She slipped up one day and FI heard her and told her that he's happy with a think woman because it isn't my size but my heart he's after. my doctor says I'm healthy and that is all that counts. So this should be interesting when she finds out that I have already picked out my dress an will just have it hidden at my MOH's house.. oh the joy of families...
    Anniversary
  • My mom did the same thing! She said, "Well of course you're going to lose weight before the wedding, right? I mean, gah, you aren't going to buy a size 18 wedding dress, are you?" To which my response was, "Believe it or not they make wedding dresses in all sizes!" UGH! Nothing like being called fat by the person that is supposed to love you the most!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ahaha, my Mom said- "I have lost weight- how about you"?!?! And sends me links to laser lipo and whatnot. Hilarious.
  • My story isn't as bad. I'm sorry your mother said that to you! How awful!

My aunt recently pulled me aside (Christmas dinner if you can believe it, right after I announced my engagement) and told me "Just in case you don't already know, if you eat lots of bread from now until the wedding, your breasts will grow larger. And who knows, maybe you'll even put some weight on between now and then. Then, people won't think a twelve year old is going down the aisle!"

Sigh. Gotta love being naturally petite. Thanks for the advice Auntie.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_mom-told-lose-weight-save-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:173eb9cd-0505-4bb1-831a-f08a16ba0d1fPost:97abb4b1-a9ff-4a16-983e-d34d30b57b19">Re: My MOM told me to lose weight to save on alterations!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My story isn't as bad. I'm sorry your mother said that to you! How awful! My aunt recently pulled me aside (Christmas dinner if you can believe it, right after I announced my engagement) and told me "Just in case you don't already know, if you eat lots of bread from now until the wedding, your breasts will grow larger. And who knows, maybe you'll even put some weight on between now and then. Then, people won't think a twelve year old is going down the aisle!" Sigh. Gotta love being naturally petite. Thanks for the advice Auntie.
    Posted by sgervais88[/QUOTE]

I would have given my aunt a five finger high five across the face without thinking if she said that to me....
    Anniversary
  • we had a heart to heart tonight and I decided to forgive her.  she didn't mean to hurt me.
  • So, I called my mom when I got my dress, and her first question was, "what size is it?".  Since I didn't know, I told her, and her first sentence was," Wow, that's big!"...REALLY?!?!?  That is your first reaction when I tell you I find my wedding dress?!?!?  Thankfully, I lost weight, and when I tried it on again, for her, this time, she zipped up the 4-6 size (trust me, ladies, I am neither)..but, her reaction? "Well, there is no way you are that small, because I am a size 8, and I am definitely smaller than you"...REALLY?!?!?!??! Weddings definitely seem to bring the worst of people...
  • Wedding dresses also seem to run smaller then the normal sizes... My dress is a size 10 and I wear jeans in 6-7.
    I live in another state then my mother and didn't even tell her I was going to buy the gown, just took an honest friend and bought the first one I fell in love with *and price tag*, then showed my mom pictures my friend had taken later that night over the computer. I felt good about getting away with not dealing with family and walking out with the dress I knew that I LOVED, and no one else.
  • Really, it sounds worse than it is...the woman just has no filter...
  • Weddings make people crazy.  I've never been above 115lbs (i'm short) and suddenly for the first time in my life I try on a wedding dress and my mom is telling  ME  to lose weight?!?! Really?  Get the dress you want.  You can go with your bridesmaids or by yourself but don't let this spoil the dress for you. Go back and try on the dress again-without her.  If you have been searching for a long time to find that dress don't let her spoil it.
    Anniversary
  • I'm getting the dress one size up.  She saw it today (we went to a different store and they had a size up) and said it looked great.  So happy!  One size up can really make all the difference in the bust.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards