Iowa-Des Moines

New and question

Good day all!

First post on the local boards!  I am getting married on August 6, 2011.  I live somewhat near Des Moines, but will be getting married in small town Iowa. 

What, or more so where, would you local girls recommend looking at dresses for myslef and my bridesmaids.  I would like to stay somewhat close to the Des Moines area simply because of distance but am open for options.  Let me know where you found your dress and would you recommend I go there.  I would like to get some one-on-one help. 

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: New and question

• edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Party Palisades in Indianola.  If you want one on one attention, they are great.  They kept the store open for me an hour past closing because I couldn't make up my mind on which dress I wanted.  I would also say Staceys in Urbandale.  Also, the Bridal Connection in Ankeny, or the Bridal Boutique which is now down in the East Village.  I have only ever been to Party Palisades and Staceys, but my vote goes with Party Palisades hands down!.  Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I actually had very good luck at David's bridal in DM (the clive address store). The lady that helped me was very good. However, all of my bridesmaids were there so I was hopeing to find their dresses but the associated didn't help them at all. She only explained the colors at the end when 2 of my girls had already left... We were able to have 2 extra fitting rooms so they were able to try them on. She spent a lot of time with me and my over all experience was good, I just wish she would have been more helpful for my bridesmaids. I would recommend maybe going seperately to find bridesmaids dresses..

I don't know how far/which direction you are from DM but I would also recomend Bridal Dreams in Oskaloosa. I've always had great luck with them with prom and they were awesome when I went there my first time to try on wedding dresses.

I haven't found my dress yet, and am getting frustrated because I have gone 4 times....But hopefully soon!
  • dsmtravelgal4dsmtravelgal4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely go to Schaffers!  I had a great experience.  I visited Stacey's as well but was put off by the sales associate that I worked with.  She visited with me for a few minutes then proceeded to pull dresses that were WAY over my budget.  At Schaffers they really listened and the associate was great - they found my perfect dress that was in my price range.
    I'm doing David's bridal for the BM dresses.  They have the best and most affordable selection that I have seen.
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Awesome!  Thanks for the info ladies!  I will definitely look into all of them! 
    Anniversary
  • ltykaltyka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weddings by Design in West Des Moines is locally owned, but has a big selection and lots of personal attention.  It is in a very elegant setting.  They have all price ranges and lots of major designers.  Every person in the store addressed my by my first name by the time I picked up my dress - it's really important to them to make you feel special!
  • edited December 2011
    ltyka-I haven't heard of Weddings by Design so thanks for the FYI.  Where in WDM is it located?  I do like to feel special!  :)
    Anniversary
  • Zippy88kZippy88k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Schaffer's and loved my experience!
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Bridal Connection in Ankeny, and my bridesmaids are getting theirs from David's Bridal in Des Moines. I think David's Bridal is easiest for my bridesmaids because I have 2 from different states
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Definately go to Schaffers! This was the first and only place i visited. They are very helpful! I would highly recommend them. ;)
  • jennfelsenjennfelsen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got everything from the Bridal Boutique that is now in the East Village.  Ask for Tanya, she will take care of you!  Good luck!

Jenn
  • KATHYPILLINGKATHYPILLING member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weddings by Design is on Grand Ave, just south of EP True Pkwy, in West Des Moines. It's in a stripmall by a Dairy Queen (though don't be put off by the strip mall setting). They just remodeled and its really nice. I just bought my dress and my BM dresses there too.

Weddings by Design & The Tux Shop
    2020 Grand Ave. Suite 400
    West Des Moines, IA 50265
  • miniuhdeminiuhde member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds a lot like my experiences. I started at Schaffers and had such a wonderful experience. I felt like I mattered to my consultant and wasn't just another number walking through the door. Then I went to David's Bridal and had a HORRIBLE experience. My consultant didn't help much, I had to pull all my own dresses and put them on myself. When I finally found a dress I was considering she told me I would have to buy it off the rack and have it altered to fit me (it was not even close to the right size.) I will be getting my bridesmaids dresses there though because I found some that are perfect.

And we must have had the same person at Stacey's because that is how my appointment went too. She pulled dresses that were the opposite of what I told her I wanted and they were almost double my budget. She put me in 4 dresses and when I said "No" to the last one she left me on the platform and cleaned out the dressing rom without saying a word to me. My bridesmaids and I quickly left after I got out of the dress and never looked back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards