New York-Hudson Valley
Options

What are you paying for flowers?

Hi ladies,

Just starting the planning process and have not stopped hearing how ridiculously expensive flowers are!  I'm getting married in lower Westchester and getting very nervous about the price of flowers, DJ, photographer, etc. We already went way over budget  on the price per person at our reception hall, so we're hoping to cut down on the flowers, DJ, etc.  However, with all the stories I'm hearing, I'm not sure it's possible.

I'm sure a lot of you shopped around before choosing your vendors... what prices should I expect?

Re: What are you paying for flowers?

• Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We met with 4 florists before we found ours. Diana Gould is ridiculously overpriced - don't even bother meeting with them unless you have over $10,000 to spend. We met with them told them our budget ($7,000) which I thought was more than reasonable and when we received our proposal it was for over $11,000!!!

Arcadia gave us the most for our money. We're paying around $6,200 which includes decor at the church, BP flowers (we have a large BP), personals for the family & high/low centerpieces (we are inviting close to 300ppl)
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Poughkeepsie and I'm using a florist up there but there's a good chance she can travel down... I'm paying under $2000 for nothing extravagant but a ton of bouts, 5 bouquets, 2 wrists, and then all the centerpieces and church flowers... Lucille's Florals in Fishkill. Check it out!
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also got married in poughkeepsie and used Lucille.  We spent about $1500 including ceremony, bouquets, bouts, centerpieces, aisle runner, corsages etc.

It will all depend on the flowers you pick, the # of tables etc.  I didn't want to spend more thatn $25 per table on centerpieces but in mtg with florists, came to the realization that was almost impossible but was honest with them upfront that I was hoping to stay as close to $25/table as possible.  I ended up spending $40/per table.

I went through her books, picked a style I liked and she worked something up to fit into the budget. One thing she did to keep costs down was to  use plastic containers instead of glass.

Figure out what you can spend and make they work with you with that budget.  Don't look at flowers and ideas without first telling them your budget. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, ladies!  We are having about 220 people and are trying to keep the BP to around 5/6 people each.

So happy to hear that Arcadia is reasonable-- they're the preferred florist for our vendor.  I don't want anything extravagant and was leaning towards smaller centerpieces with a lot of candles, but that sounds really reasonable.  Especially for 300 people and a large BP!

I've heard great things about Lucille, too!  I'll definitely have to look into her and see if she'd be willing to travel to New Rochelle.

Any advice/suggestions/recommendations on DJs?  Most of the reception halls receommend Jimmy Dee or Big Apple-- but I feel like they'd be more expensive.
  • Options
    katiefinn03katiefinn03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should also contact Columbia/Riverdale florist.  Really good prices and high quality flowers!
  • Options
    LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_paying-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:1af668a7-584f-4837-923d-df5c7a839574Post:58f1bf7e-e5bf-4657-b79b-381f0f6b756e">Re: What are you paying for flowers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much, ladies!  We are having about 220 people and are trying to keep the BP to around 5/6 people each. So happy to hear that Arcadia is reasonable-- they're the preferred florist for our vendor.  I don't want anything extravagant and was leaning towards smaller centerpieces with a lot of candles, but that sounds really reasonable.  Especially for 300 people and a large BP! I've heard great things about Lucille, too!  I'll definitely have to look into her and see if she'd be willing to travel to New Rochelle. Any advice/suggestions/recommendations on DJs?  Most of the reception halls receommend Jimmy Dee or Big Apple-- but I feel like they'd be more expensive.
    Posted by Alana&Christian[/QUOTE]

JimmyDee did our friend's wedding and they were excellent! To be honest, they were the cheapest out of the DJ's we looked at (3 in total). The only reason why we didn't go with them is b/c FH wasn't thrilled with the person we met with.

We also looked at DanceTime Entertainment in Ardsley & DJ Serg Entertainment.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Westchester Entertainment for DJ. 6 hours for $1000.
    Im using Arcadia and they really work with your budget. I am having 165 people and i was able to keep the budget around $2200. High and Low centerpieces, Flowers decorating the Gazbo and 6 bouquets.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 190 Invited
    image 158 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Strictly Entertainment DJs - Gary Whittaker.  Can't recoomend him enough.  They were awesome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm using Monica Chimes... she was a little more than Arcadia but I really loved her vision a lot more so I thought it was worth it! For DJ, we're using Jimmy Dee and we're really happy with their prices!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    steveandtasteveandta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not investing alot on flowers (I would rather spent the extra money on food and reception extras). I am getting married at the villa borghese which includes flower centerpeices. I am going to use Sam's club to make our bouquets and bouts. it will cost me around 600 to cover all the arrangements that i need.
    Photobucket invite1
  • Options
    PaoPao820PaoPao820 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using DJ Company who are under a different name, I think Rth Generation or something like that... they're in Nyack righ across the tappan zee so they'll definitely travel to you. Ryan was amazing so far and I'll be meeting dj's right after the new year to start the process of music. Good luck!!
    -Paola- Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Check your private message!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of using Sam's Club for bouquets/bouts...I too am getting married at Villa and really REALLY don't want to spend more than $500 on what we need.  Flowers just aren't that important to me!  I have heard good things about Lucille's in Fishkill too, so I plan to contact her as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tally7tally7 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I only purchased the bouquets and corsages, bouts, and  only used one flower on each table (candles, vases, beads) - I used a local florist - you should try going to a few local shopts and just ask them their prices sometimes the small businesses have great prices and will work hard for you --

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'm getting a bargain, we're getting 4 BM bouquets (orchids and lots of other lush flowers like purple stock, green hydrangea, lisianthus), my bouquet (tea roses and cymbidium orchids), 10 boutinerres total (all orchids), 6 corsages, ceremony flowers, escot card table flowers and all of our centerpieces (although the flower centerpieces are included from our venue - Mountainview Manor) and it's only $900! We actually budgeted double.... but I LOVE Sue Smith from Floral Cottage. She is a doll, she ONLY does weddings/events, and she is just fantastic. I recommend her 100000%
    In terms of DJs, I was very scared at getting the typical loud mouthed MC/DJ who only did what they wanted. I have only heard fantastic things from John from Music speaks volumes. Their prices are OUTSTANDINGLY cheap for what you get and again, he comes highly recommended. I would say both are great picks.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• Options
    Has anyone used Petals by Alice?  I am also interested in Lucille's in Fishkill and Flowers by David Anthony in Monroe?  My budget is $4,000 and my wedding is in Poughkeepsie.  I'd be interested to hear your feedback.  Thanks in advance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards