Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

S/O registries...

Where did you register, and what did you like or not like about it?  I need to pick out at least one more place for us to register.  We were thinking of doing Macy's since it's convenient for Pittsburgh area people, but I'm not totally sold on it.  We have done Williams-Sonoma so far.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
Vacation

Re: S/O registries...

• Er/jerEr/jer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did BB&B - which I loved.  Also did Sears and Lowes.  But DH really wanted Lowes or HD - Lowes only did online registry, so we just went ahead with that.

We really didn't have any issues with either.  I would've loved to do Target, but I didn't want to have to deal with possible returns.
  • edited December 2011
    We did BB&B and Sears (for the Craftsman store).  Sears online is not great and my particular Sears is just a horrible store, but our friends/family that bought didn't ahve any issues.

BB&B is awesome.  The have some good completion programs if you are planning on some higher end stuff (that they have at Macy's too).  Their website is great for their registry--I had a very easy experience managing my registry online.  The only bummer was the 10% registry completion coupon you get after the wedding.  I think it's rediculous considering they send me a 20% coupon practically every week.  And they are awesome with returns.  We took in a whole cart of items and they just plugged right through it.  And gave us cash for items that were paid for in cash off the registry. 
  • CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did Macy's and BB&B.  Both were fine and helpful.  We registered for a lot of upgrades - better pots & pans and a better coffee pot, etc.. but nothing that we didn't already have or really needed - just wanted something better and more durable.  I've been living on my own for 14 years, DH for about 11 (at the time) and we already had new stuff that we bought ourselves when we bought the house - so both places were just out of convenience than anything else.  I did do a honeymoon registry - I only had 1 person buy from it - but it was a good idea at the time setting it up but after putting it in our shower invites - I realized a lot of my guests were older and not too computer savvy - opps!
    image Ivory
  • edited December 2011
    We did BB&B and Sears (for the Craftsman store).  Sears online is not great and my particular Sears is just a horrible store, but our friends/family that bought didn't ahve any issues.

BB&B is awesome.  The have some good completion programs if you are planning on some higher end stuff (that they have at Macy's too).  Their website is great for their registry--I had a very easy experience managing my registry online.  The only bummer was the 10% registry completion coupon you get after the wedding.  I think it's rediculous considering they send me a 20% coupon practically every week.  And they are awesome with returns.  We took in a whole cart of items and they just plugged right through it.  And gave us cash for items that were paid for in cash off the registry. 
  • edited December 2011
    Obviously I will say BOO to Macy's after the weekend experience.  We did register at Kohl's though and it was so nice and easy.  The people were great, they left me alone to walk around myself, and it's easy to update online.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I love BB&B-just got a $75 gift card in the mail from a rebate I did. I am already thinking of how I will spend it (well, I was planning that even before it arrived.) Tongue out

We registered at BB&B and Target (before I heard about their horrible return policy). Most people bought from BB&B, but I had no problems with the few things from Target (of course I didn't have to return anything).

BB&B is more affordable, IMO, than Williams-Sonoma. I think registering at both would be a good balance of variety and affordablility.
  • edited December 2011
    knut double post FAIL
  • edited December 2011
    We did Macy's and BB&B - had a good experience with both!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • edited December 2011
    BB&B. Seriously the easiest ever interms of online changes and returns. Plus they gift wrap for free. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We did our main one at BB&B and it was great. Like other people have mentioned, really easy with returns, and they were just very helpful in the store we registered at and for some of our guests who purchased in other stores.

We did small ones at Macy's and Kohl's. Didn't have major problems with either, but the Macy's we registered at was NOT helpful. And then at my mom's store, the lady actually altered our registry. I had registered for a single plate to use as a serving platter. The lady told my mom 1. that she didn't know why anyone would ever pick that pattern for their plates (haha!) and 2. apparently she decided to add more because when I looked at our registry, it was showing we wanted 8! Um, fail.

Kohl's was ok except their inventory seems to change more quickly and varies a lot between stores. When we went to the store to scan some more items, the guy set the scanner up wrong and basically nothing registered. We didn't know this until afterward and I was annoyed.

I guess overall it could be hit or miss with any of them depending on your local store.

Vacation

• edited December 2011
    We did BBB and Kohls.  Kohls more for towels and bedding, and glassware for everyday , and BBB for everything else.  Both of our registries were nearly completed so they were definitely a hit.  BBB was super easy, and since you can use unlimited 20% off coupons, super cheap.  I echo the insult about the 10% completion certificate BBB sends you – I showed up with a stack of 20%ers and saved $151 when I wanted to complete some items.  More than double what their weenie 10% would have netted me!   BBB had easy returns, but I had no issues with Kohls returns either. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i agree with the pp's about macy's & bbb. most ppl bought from bbb it seemed.

we stayed away from w-s & sur la table, since they are more expensive. we wanted affordable options for our guests.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback ladies!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    We did BB&B and Macy's. As far as actually registering, we hated BB&B. We registered in-store at the McKnight location and had a terrible experience. Our sales lady was very pushy and started putting things on our registry that we didn't want. We kept telling her "no" but she was totally ignoring us. We eventually called it quits and went home to change out registry online.  They are awesome about returns though! And they keep your registry online for 2 years, unlike Macy's (our registry has been long gone!).

Macy's was really nice. Since I have a Macy's credit card, we recieved 10% cash back on all the sales from our registry. We ended up getting $150+ in gift cards after our wedding. We originally only registered for a few items there, like luggage, bath towels, and crystal. People seemed to buy more from Macy's than BB&B, so we had to add a few more things after my showers!
  • elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great post Jenn.

After I get off the crutch we are going to start doing the registery thing. So I'm glad you posted this.

Clearly I don't have anything to add other than we are leaning towards resgistering at Kohl's. (at least for one place) Eveytime we walk around there we find at least two things that we mark down on the "remember to register for" list.

GL keep us updated!
    image.
  • edited December 2011
    Im sure this is a little late, but I had originally planned on doing Target and BB&B, a bunch of people mostly FI family and some of my friends (who keep in mind have never registered before) told me I shouldnt do BB&B and that I should just do Macy's and Target. But I loooove BB&B and its the only place where they have my favorite sheets, anyway I decided we would just do Macys and Target...

soooo this past weekend we went to Target and registered, but ran out of time and energy to go to Macys so we have not gone yet... here all this stuff about Target is making me think twice though Yikes... and hearing all this good stuff about BB&B is making me second guess my decision not to register there.

But good luck and have fun wherever you decide to register!
  • edited December 2011
    Macy's and Crate and Barrel.  Needless to say, those that bought from C&B either bought online or were from out here (there isn't one in Pgh - the closest is Cleveland).  Macy's was extraordinarily easy.  We didn't have any issues with them at all, even when people bought 4 of the same thing (without checking it off the registry) and we had to return the 3 extras.  Really, really easy and helpful.  We ended up with a ton of completion gifts and extra registering gifts from there as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards