Connecticut
Options

Creative Cakes by Donna vs. Kim's Cottage Confections?

Hi!

I'm getting close to having to do a tasting with the cake baker.  Either vendor can be used in our wedding package.  I have seen so many talk about Donna but haven't heard much about Kim's.

Any pros/cons?  Or either the same?  I called Creative Cakes and the lady was nice and helpful when I spoke with her.  Didn't call Kim's yet though.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: Creative Cakes by Donna vs. Kim's Cottage Confections?

• Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jane from Just for You recommended Kim's so I decided to go there for my mom's birthday cake just to try it out. Granted, it was a birthday cake and much different from a wedding but I thought the service was great and the cake tasted delicious. 
    I plan on scheduling a tasting with her in a few months. 
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We tried both at Saybrook's tasting for the 2010 brides in Jan. We were originally going to go with Kim's but after visiting with Julia from Creative Cakes we decided to go there. Their spice cake was awesome for our fall wedding and she totally got our vision.

Good Luck :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SweetSimaSweetSima member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People go either way.  I personally did not care for Donna's cakes and was told what you taste in samples is different from your actual cake.  However, there are many people who rave about her cakes. I sampled Kim's and loved them and have heard good things about her cakes too.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    ksheeranksheeran member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you getting married? We have both of these options in our wedding package as well. We just booked our venue so we havent really given the cake much thought yet. Ideally, we would like to use cupcakes instead but I'm not sure if that will be covered in the package!
  • Options
    wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_creative-cakes-donna-vs-kims-cottage-confections?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:d30bd18a-cd2d-4019-8c06-225824aa0986Post:beb535af-9abc-4ce1-a95a-1350fe06008c">Re: Creative Cakes by Donna vs. Kim's Cottage Confections?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where are you getting married? We have both of these options in our wedding package as well. We just booked our venue so we havent really given the cake much thought yet. Ideally, we would like to use cupcakes instead but I'm not sure if that will be covered in the package!
    Posted by ksheeran[/QUOTE]

I'm getting married Saybrook Point.  Creative Cakes does not include cupcakes in the venue package.  I don't know about Kim's.  They don't have much info on their site.
  • Options
    estegemanestegeman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue is The Society Room in Hartford and I have both of these vendors to choose from as well.  I havent checked either of them out yet though. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I somewhat agree Donna's samples tasted somewhat different than the actual cake. We used Donna at Creative Cakes and my only complaint about our wedding cake was that there seemed to be a lot of frosting as opposed to actual cake...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Kim! I have used Kim in the past during the planning of my sister's wedding as well as her bridal shower and baby shower cake.  Kim is so easy to work with and her cakes are amazingly delish! She is also doing the groom's cake for me as well as chocolate chip cookies for our 10pm cookies and milk.  The wedding cake was included in the package so we are sticking with that for the main event.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We can choose between these two at the Riverhouse as well.  I tasted both cakes at our venue tasting.  Both were good.  We really ended up choosing Donna because they got back to us right away and were very helpful while Kim never responded to our requests for a meeting or for more info!

And so far, Donna and her team have been great!  The spice cake we chose was excellent at the tasting we had in her shop.  I'm actually using her for a surprise rehearsal dinner/groom's cake for my fiance and I'm so excited!

• Options
    ksheeranksheeran member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_creative-cakes-donna-vs-kims-cottage-confections?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:d30bd18a-cd2d-4019-8c06-225824aa0986Post:c7a2ea38-b18d-444a-a097-a490d6de6fe5">Re: Creative Cakes by Donna vs. Kim's Cottage Confections?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We can choose between these two at the Riverhouse as well.  I tasted both cakes at our venue tasting.  Both were good.  We really ended up choosing Donna because they got back to us right away and were very helpful while Kim never responded to our requests for a meeting or for more info! And so far, Donna and her team have been great!  The spice cake we chose was excellent at the tasting we had in her shop.  I'm actually using her for a surprise rehearsal dinner/groom's cake for my fiance and I'm so excited!
    Posted by kgontero[/QUOTE]

Our wedding reception is also at The Riverhouse (: we just booked yesterday! I cannot wait to do our tasting!!
  • Options
    wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!! :)  I think I'll call both :)  My venue tasting won't be until Jan so maybe I can wait...not sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards