April 2013 Weddings
Options

Direction Cards?

Having a hard time deciding what to do about direction cards. No one lives local to our site except my immediate family. However, everyone else is scattered with most of FI's family coming from PA. Should I throw down the money to send everyone a direction card. If so, where should the directions be from? We blocked out rooms at a hotel and I'm seriously considering just throwing the cards into the welcome bags of people that stay in that hotel. Otherwise, I have to give out directions from S/E/N/W and I feel that most people are capable or googling directions or using a GPS nowadays. FMIL wants the cards and paid for the invites but didn't pay for direction cards. I did put the directions on our website, which has gotten 1200 hits.

Re: Direction Cards?

• Options
    I want to put them out at our ceremony because the reception is kind of far away and most guests will check into the hotel first, then take the shuttle to the cocktail hour. I personally think if you put them in the invites, people may forget to bring them. Plus with iPhones and everything I feel like people shouldn't get lost but you never know lol. Btw Do you know where I can print direction cards?
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are going to have an out of town wedding too so I am feeling your pain on this. We discussed it last night and are just going to be passing out directions to those who ask. With GPS everywhere we aren't too concerned with people getting lost.
    The Future Mrs. Burleson Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We included the typical direction cards in our invitations just coming from the various highways to the venue. The hotel guests will be shuttled back and fourth to venue so they do not need to worry about how to get to the venue from there. The hotel block cards had the directions to the hotel on them as well :)

What about printing them yourself onto card stock?
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Okay so here's the problem.  I'm in Florida and everyone else is everwhere else, lol.  Our ceremony and reception are in the same place(a relatively remote place) so I can't hand them out at the ceremony.  I think what I'd prefer to do is just put the cards in the OOT bags in the hotel rooms and just email/snail mail directions to those that ask for them.  Everyone has a save the date, with the website address printed on it, which has directions from every possible place you could be coming from.  For the amount I need, it'd be about $100 extra dollars to put them in the invitations, which is a similar price for how much it would cost for the ink and paper and frustration to print them myself.

I think we might also put signs up at some of the harder turns that people will miss if they're not paying attention.

Ally-Vistaprint or Zazzle have plenty of options.  I was just going to go with these but they're different sources than where I got the invitations from, so I'm afraid the paper colors and ink won't match.  This won't bother me but FMIL will have a fit and I really just don't want to hear about it, haha.
  • Options
    Christine-that's nice.  Unfortunately, the hotel doesn't offer a shuttle in such a rural area :-/
  • Options
    lch--that stinks! Our hotel does not offer a shuttle--we are renting from enterprise and FIs sisters brother in law is the driver :)
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    P.S. Anyone that doesn't have Verizon is likely to lose cell service, if they're relying on their phone's GPS for directions.  I think they just put an AT&T tower up but if they have Sprint or another carrier, it's not going to be good, lol.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_direction-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:80f3192b-747b-4d9c-88dc-39cd82d75d7fPost:d740f361-93d3-4dac-ac70-f6736bdfb3cf">Re: Direction Cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]lch--that stinks! Our hotel does not offer a shuttle--we are renting from enterprise and FIs sisters brother in law is the driver :)
    Posted by Christine9866[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We tried to rent a shuttle but the options are limited.  We were quote $700 to rent a bus for the night.  Not in the budget :-/

</div>
  • Options
    We're going to just print ours on a slightly heavier stock and stick them in the envelopes. My one worry is people who are a) forgetful and b) not tech friendly (ie many of the older people invited). I would hate for people to get lost, which can happen in my area as there are some weird exits on and off the highways. Ich - I would mail them to people separately if you don't want to do the inserts (just on plain paper), just so you're sure people have them if they want or need them. The problem I see with sticking them in the OOT bag is that if anyone stays somewhere different and still forgets their gps or something, they'd be in trouble.
  • Options
    I think FMIL is actually going to save the day on this one.  She sells Carlson Craft and gets a 40-50% discount so she's going to order them on Monday.  I typed up directions to be printed on a small card, back and front and just limited the directions to those coming from the hotel and those using both major interstates that our venue sits right in the middle of(I-95 and I-85).  We also included the web address in case anyone needs to get more detailed directions.  I think this is going to be the easiest way.  The only problem is if they end up being too expensive, then we'll have to do two separate cards based off of who is staying in the hotel and who isn't.  I might just offer to pay the difference if it's too expensive to keep it simple.

So I thought I was supposed to get my invitations yesterday...turns out they're supposed to come NEXT Friday.  So I have one day to assemble one, take it to the post office and hope I can get away with using those forever stamps or else, buy another smaller stamp to accompany them.  I think it'll be fine :-)

Thanks for your input, everyone!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We are having an out of town wedding as well. We are not doing directional cards since people should be able to research their own directions to the city, but we are going to include maps for ceremony/reception venues on a separate insert with the invites. That way people have a visual picture of which street to take and where to park. I think we're going to make them ourselves and print them at Staples on thicker cardstock.

I plan to also bring a stack to have at the ceremony place, too, since the reception venue is several miles away. Because I bet you're right that people will forget them :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Options
    Let them google it! Less waste, money and hassle. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards