Latino Weddings

Hispanic Band?

Hi everyone!!

For the past week or so, we've been asking/looking around for a Hispanic band in the Boston area... but FI says the bands sound "too mariachi-y" (if that makes sense...).

FI and I are looking into having a Hispanic band play Puerto Rican music during our cocktail hour (we will have a dragon dance troupe kick off our reception)... but we don't know what Puerto Rican equivalent to the mariachi band is called Is a band playing Puerto Rican music still considered a mariachi band??

TIA!!
Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.

Re: Hispanic Band?

• edited December 2011
    Hello,
    According to my DH (he's Puerto Rican) says they are called different things depending on the music specialty. The traditional music for Puerto Rico is called "Plena" Check this link out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKK2DQTvnog

The dance performance (folklorico) is called "Bomba" Check this link out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxkABBpIxeY

If you are looking into wanting the band to play the music and have the dance performance, ask them if they play Bomba y Plena. Check into the Puerto Rican cultural committee there to see if they can recommend any bands they have used or know of. I hope this is what you are looking for. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh another idea would be is to check for any local bridal shows to see if you can find the band there. Here is an organization that you can call to see if they can point you in the right direction: http://www.iba-etc.org/contact.html
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's AWESOME!! Thank you soo much!! FI and I have been to the bridal shows in the MA/NH/CT area, but they're predominately non-Latino...

How's your wedding planning going?!! I see that you're in New England, too. What part of CT are you in??
  • edited December 2011
    My plans are on the back burner but I'm still looking around for ideas. I live in West Haven and you?
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Hartford... about 45 min north!

FI and I are planning this crazy 3-part wedding. I wish we could just elope or do a DW! I looked at your bio. Are you thinking of staying in CT/NY or still thinking of a DW?
  • edited December 2011
    We are trying to decide if it's going to be in CT or MD. My side of the family is in MD and his is in CT. I think we may end up having 2 receptions but not sure yet. I can't find any reasonable priced venues in CT. Which venue are you looking to book? Some places want a higher guest minimum which I was only planning on having under 100 guests. I would have loved to do a DW but I don't think my guests have the money to go along.
    edited December 2011
    Aww- I know what you mean about two receptions. It sucks!! Maybe you can hold one reception mid-way between CT and Maryland? Maybe NJ? Your guests can make a vacation out of it! (o: And maybe you can find a church that has a reception space?? That way you don't need to meet a min?

We're traveling to Puerto Rico for a "pre-wedding" with FI's family... then we're doing a "legal ceremony" at a park in Boston with my immediate family and FI's siblings... then a "vow renewal" where we hold a tea ceremony/buddhist ritual... because in my culture, our marriage will not be recognized. I don't know if we're going to have a Chinese banquet (aka cheaper- $4k for 250 people including 10 dinner courses and premium open bar) or a western venue.
  • edited December 2011
    PR is awesome! I just got back from vacationing there a couple of weeks ago. Ooh a chinese banquet sounds like a great deal! I origninally wanted to do a DW in PR but turned out to be just as pricey in the states. I had a few relatives say they wouldn't mind going to PR for a DW. It's too bad that they don't have all inclusive resorts because I would've just done it there.
    edited December 2011
    I reeeeally wanted to do a DW at an all-inclusive resort, but FI refused to go anywhere in the Carribean with the exception of PR. We're not doing anything too extravagant...  we just rented out the restaurant for a few hours It was like $65 pp (3-course meal and dessert/non-alcoholic drinks) inc taxes/fees for about 35 people.

I think we got a pretty good deal though- flight/accomodations-wise. It was $600 per person for 15 days and 14 nights at the Hilton Ponce (20 min from FI's family's home) which includes continental breakfast and direct flight to Ponce from Boston and back.

Chinese banquets are ehhh. I've just been to too many growing up. It's a really cheap/traditional option though. 5 out of 6 restaurants in my hometown include uplighting, 10-course dinner + dessert, premium open bar, and 10-piece live band. Crazy, right? LOL FI is scared. He's going to his first Chinese wedding in August!!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, Ponce Hilton is offering all this for the reception? That's great! I know some hotels want a food & beverage minimum of $10,000 and that's what turned me off. I would've just invited no more than 50 guests if I was to have it in PR.  I can understand where you are coming from about attending weddings in a chinese restaurant. You get tired of the same scene. Are any of his family from PR going to fly out to CT for the other wedding? I think it would be exciting to just have the DW in PR.
    edited December 2011
    FI's parents and younger siblings aren't able to fly over... Only his brother and sister and their families will be able to attend our wedding in Boston. I feel really bad to be honest. His side of the family is... small. We are inviting his whole church and his foster parents... but my family still trumps his with over 220 people from my guest list.

We were thinking of going the traditional route at the Hilton- and they do have a $10k min. It was more than what we wanted to pay. That's why we ended up renting out the restaurant. It came out to be cheaper to have a prix-fixed menu.

I can't wait to hear more about your wedding planning!!! (o:
  • edited December 2011
    Either way your wedding will be beautiful! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards